Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handbrake Rear Internals

snaps

I have had an issues of my rear off-side brake overheating and after having two stuck calipers on the front earlier this year i just assumed it was the rears sticking but when i removed the caliper the disc was still sticking so i removed it and a bent tangled mess of metal and dust fell out.

I seem to have made sense of all the parts and have found new kit from GSF that seems to cover everything but one part has me stumped as i cant find it on the diagram, any one have any ideas (its the one at the very bottom that has been bent in two)?

IMG_3885_zpsjmwdrqag.jpg

Hi snaps,

It's part of the backing plate and it should be shaped like a top hat and spot welded on.

I expect the backing plate has started to rust through from the back and the spot welds have come away. This happened to my car about 18 months ago. I started getting scraping noises when driving, when I removed the discs everything fell out!

I can't remember it's purpose exactly but I think it is there to guide the handbrake cable/mechanism into the correct position for the shoes. I do remember trying to work out a way of repairing this but I gave up. I just cleaned everything up and put it together without.

I haven't had any problems yet and I've gone through at least one MOT although both my rear calipers are knackered so I'm about to have a more detailed look in the next few weeks when I replace them.

Hope this helps