Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks, following on from this thread http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/103588-does-anyone-know-this-ls430/, as promised my new Lexus, registered May 02, Canterbury Blue with Suffolk trim. Bought from an eBay dealer who recycles traditional car auction vehicles by the looks of things. I bought it on the cheap side knowing that it probably needs some work - you don't put cars through the auctions without reason, but also knowing that if there was anything really wrong that wasn't mentioned in the advert I could walk away.

Anyway, first alarm bell was the VSC/MIL lights, turns out the VSC light was on because the VCS off switch was activated (I like easy wins) and plugging a scanner into the car gave codes P0135 (o2 heater circuit) and P1651 (vacuum switch under the manifold/TB). Nothing major, although reading the forums the P1651 is a bugger to get to and sort even if the part is cheap enough and the effect the part has on performance and economy is by all account negligible. I've reset the codes and the MIL has gone out, but pops back on only when I rev the engine very hard. I'm toying with the idea of an LPG conversion, so I'll get it sorted at the same time.

Other than that, the paintwork needs a good detailing session to bring it back to life, as does the interior that is somewhat dirty, it's been a London car most it's life I think with service stamps from Edgware Road and Twickenham and has had bumpers resprayed at some point. There's a front parking sensor fault but there's half and inch of paint over the front sensors so I'm not surprised on that one, and it's had a poor re-spray on the passenger rear quarter, you can see the swirls from the orbital sander where the filler / primer has been flatted. Having spent holidays and weekends as a teen working in a body shop, things like that don't scare me too much, I've checked behind all the trims in the boot and there's no panel damage so I can only presume there have been particularly deep scratches sprayed over - maybe by the auction house to get it thru the auction for the minimal cost. (I think we had a £250 budget for rectifications when I delivered cars to the auction houses as a trade plater many moons ago)

Anyways, the air suspension works, although the pump does sound a little noisy, almost like there's a big V-twin motorbike somewhere in the vicinity, is there any servicing to be done on them, compressor oil or such like to be added? The air con blows cold, the ride is smooth, the only noticeable difference between an indicated 60mph and, shall we say, a little more, is that other cars on the M40 tend to go backwards a somewhat quicker.

There are of course a list of little bits and pieces that if I'd spent more money on the car I'd not wanted to see, such as boot struts, LCA bushes were an advisory on the last MoT (it's a 13 year old car so what do you expect!), tyres haven't got more than a few of thousand miles left in them, the storage box by the rear view mirror is a bugger to shut, but nothing a bit of elbow grease can't sort.

...and finally a couple of photos...

post-38816-0-65749400-1443350707_thumb.j

post-38816-0-46620500-1443350892_thumb.j

Regards

Iain

You sound very sensible in not expecting a car as though its straight from the production line. Doesn't sound as though there is anything major needed that a bit of effort and a few quid wont sort. Enjoy, keep us up to date as to how its going. Mike

Just a word on the LPG installation. Its not how much the equipment costs and the price of installation but how well done that install is done so make sure you pick a well recommend supplier installer otherwise you will regret every day you ever heard of LPG. Mike.

Thanks - it won't be my first LPG car, might be the first I get someone else to do though. There's a company in South Wales who seem to get a good rep on these forums, about 10miles from a mate of mine down there.

Regards

Iain

Thanks - it won't be my first LPG car, might be the first I get someone else to do though. There's a company in South Wales who seem to get a good rep on these forums, about 10miles from a mate of mine down there.

Regards

Iain

Profess, same ones that do mine. Mike.

Was this from cars with no reserve in Reading?

There was a thread a while back regarding their selling "terms", would be interested in your experience, if it was from them.

Was this from cars with no reserve in Reading?

There was a thread a while back regarding their selling "terms", would be interested in your experience, if it was from them.

Me too. I don't live far from them and they don't have a good name. Mike.

Hi folks, yes it was from that company in Reading. Wasn't going to get into a discussion about the vendor, but as you press me...

From the million lines of spiel in the advert all cars sold "sale or repair" mileages should be treated at "non genuine" etc., and just a handful of words about how great the car is, its blatantly obvious that the company regurgitate cars from the likes of British Car Auctions etc, and run a high volume low margin operation - not sure how any of that would actually hold up in court but hey ho, if it makes them feel good...

The place was packed when I turned up, but spoke to one of the employees, was given the keys to the car and told to take it for run, take as long as you like. It wasn't exactly a main dealer standards of service but I was given the keys with no deposit, ID, proof of address, so found a car park around the corner and plugged a scanner in to see what the fault lights were about, took my time to check all the toys worked etc. Got the car back, got the service documents to check, put the VIN into the RAC Passport check while sat in the office, was never pressured to buy or anything like that, I took the view that the car was cheap probably a grand less than other comparable age and mileage cars available, I was not expecting a concours car and as it was off eBay I can easily walk away saying the car was not as described, I was going to buy a return train ticket just incase it was a lemon but in the end a mate drove me down for petrol money which was the cheaper option on the return trip. Like I said not a main dealer but I've experienced much worse car lots in my time, and much better, but go in eyes wide open and simply walk away if you smell a rat.

So...now that's been put to bed a few questions for me to ask...

• Tail gate struts, where's the best source of new ones, I think the choice is main dealer, SGS (who are 25mins away) or eBay...
  • In a similar vein, the lower control arm bushes, main dealer, online retailer or eBay
  • Finally what are the preferred flavour of tyre on LS430 (standard 17in rims), the car currently has 4x Pirelli P6000 and a Dunlop. My experience of Dunlops on my SD1 is they give fantastic grip but the sidewalls are so soft the tyre tucks under and cannot handle abuse especially the front axle when you get camber gains in roll (http://www.helenjgphotography.co.uk/Motorsport/November-Winter-Autotest/i-BbgtdhF/A for example) and I don't think I've had Pirelli tyres before on a road car.
  • Finally +1, can I use the parts department at the Toyota dealership in Loughborough to get Lexus parts or do I have to go to Leicester or Derby dealers and does any one have any preferences when it comes to Leicester or Derby...in terms or main dealers that is???

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain, Glad you had a good experience. Others take note not at just this dealer but go in with your eyes wide open and my dad always said to me go in not wanting to buy the car if it wins you over you probably have a gooden. well done Iain, keep us with updates on her. By the way what was the price? Mike.

Thanks Iain, sounds like they are exactly what they say they are, basically selling auction cars, but with the benefit of a more thorough testing period than is possible at the actual auction.

I bought a car a few years ago, from another eBay outfit in reading, called deutsche marques, who did the same type of thing, but they've gone more upmarket these days.

My car was a good one, a Honda Accord estate which never missed a beat over two years and sold to we buy any car for only a couple of hundred less than I paid for it.

Hope your as lucky as I was.

I have Dunlop runflat on my '99 Celsior. No soft sidewall there :) and they grip superb

Good point, well presented!

Hi... By the way what was the price? Mike.

£1750 at 133k on an 02 plate.

Regards

Iain

While I think on, is there a Lexus / Toyota equivalent to RealOEM for BMW? Having had a number of e30 3 series over the years and now a e36 compact realoem.com has been really useful, both for getting part numbers and for general assembly drawings ("oh there is a fourth, hidden, bolt holding the ***** thing on")

Regards

Iain

I have Dunlop runflat on my '99 Celsior. No soft sidewall there :) and they grip superb

Regards

Iain

thats a bargain - one has just turned up on eBay same colour/mileage priced at 4495

Regards

Iain

Sounds like you had a good result. Great news. Enjoy. Mike.