Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washer Bottle Dash Light

Finally, after nearly 4 years of ownership, I've managed to extinguish the constantly lit "low washer bottle level" warning light on the dash! This is a common problem brought on by the float switch sticking. I decided I could live without having to buy a new replacement float and couldn't be bothered to repair the old one, so there was only one thing for it,---I just unplugged the wires leading to the switch. Getting to it is a bit of a faff, but it's so nice now to drive around with no warning lights coming on. In the past, I've had cars with dashboards lit up like Blackpool Illuminations, especially Vauxhalls.

Yep I tried this varnish et al but it didn't work. I cut a champagne cork down as a float collar but as thin as I could get it still failed to fit! Going to buy a new one...

I did that too, with a cork add-on, worked for a week, then light came on, now light is off, not asking why...

I think the number of posts and there being a tutorial somewhere as well, shows how common this fault is. Sorry Chris,-- my solution was the lazy one, fiddling with the float is no guarantee of success and I'm not prepared to buy a new one either because I regularly top up my washer bottle fluid and don't need the light to remind me.

• Like 1

I had the problem on my Mark 4 the day I bought it I noticed it was on that was when the car had 18k on it so it was time immersed in water that causes the problem.I followed the tutorial after I had bought a new one and it worked fine as I sold it on eBay to someone in Germany who thought it was a new one when he received it and I got nearly as much for that as the new one cost.

Disconnected mine about a year ago, and thought I will just leave it.

But the other day found some foam type float material (those woggles that kids use when learning to swim), so when I have some spare time might have a go at trying that.

Not sure when I will get time to try it, as in the middle of major house renovation.

The problem will be making the foam edge smooth so that it does not have so much surface contact with the water. The problem is that water and washer fluid are corrosive over long periods of time.

What Lexus should have done is used a polythene float with air in it, would probably have lasted longer then the material they used.

Simon, I agree with you regarding the ancilliaries, but compared to other vehicles I've previously owned, my LS has outlasted them all and had less problems/failures than any of them. I'm still very happy with my LS, but realise that the older it gets the more likely it will be that some repairs will be necessary in the future. After nearly 16 years the only other ancilliary not working is the front cigarette lighter. Not bad I think.

Just as an afterthought the flotation device moves up and down a column that contains some kind of electrical diode / resistor, so there is some metal inside the float that triggers the said diode/resistor. Consequently the idea of just putting a blank float in place will not work.

The tutorial is effective if done properly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links