Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

yes definatley a 450

yes your right about reliability - its one of those cars where even "FSH" doesnt get you excited because you dont know when you are going to have hybrid cell problems

with the LS range you often see galactic miles but not the GS - it surprised me.

but i still want one LOL

He heh, Failed irony on my part. imo the 450h reliability thing is wound up out of proportion, particularly given the quite costly issues often talked about on here concerning other Lexi. Certainly the Battery can be an issue, which Lexus recognised and have supported customers with. The growing industry in independent support for hybrid batteries is assuring,

Still, the smooth ride, outrageous performance that never fails to put a smile on my face, all combined with great serenity, makes for a great 'q' car and enjoyable driving. Go on, you know you want to.....

• Like 1

Probably has, but are you sure it's a 450? We all know from reading on here just how unreliable the GS450h is;)

Why do you say that? There are plenty of Prius vehicles out there with over 200k miles on the original Battery, including one with over 600k miles.

No, not my old girl, she went to scrap. I would avoid any high mileage GS450h, not because the Battery pack but the hybrid system. When mine failed (with still good Battery pack) Lexus wanted to change the gearbox for over 4K as they will not strip and repair and no body else is keen to do it. Then you are chancing timing chain problems as a bit of stretch throws the computer out and costs a fortune to replace. Too complicated and technical, I don't own a car any more, just lease so no worries.

No, not my old girl, she went to scrap. I would avoid any high mileage GS450h, not because the battery pack but the hybrid system. When mine failed (with still good battery pack) Lexus wanted to change the gearbox for over 4K as they will not strip and repair and no body else is keen to do it. Then you are chancing timing chain problems as a bit of stretch throws the computer out and costs a fortune to replace. Too complicated and technical, I don't own a car any more, just lease so no worries.

Thanks Tony.Good to know that you still keep a look in. How`s the Merc going?

My W210 has just broken 200,000 miles en-route to here in Andalucia. Hope she gets me home!

Regards

John

Another fairly high mileage one for sale in Dundee is my old car. I traded it into a main dealer in Perth last month and now on eBay . It is on 181k miles . Anybody thinking about it I am happy to give the low down on the car.

• Like 1

Another fairly high mileage one for sale in Dundee is my old car. I traded it into a main dealer in Perth last month and now on eBay . It is on 181k miles . Anybody thinking about it I am happy to give the low down on the car.

What year was it kevin and what problems, if any, did you have with it?

I am aware of the small number of problems which have been reported via this Forum, but nothing wider.

I tend to agree with what Michael and Colin have said above, namely that the 450h is a reliable car.

Regards

John

What year was it kevin and what problems, if any, did you have with it?

I am aware of the small number of problems which have been reported via this Forum, but nothing wider.

I tend to agree with what Michael and Colin have said above, namely that the 450h is a reliable car.

Regards

John. hi John , no real major issues . It was very reliable . Had it for 3 and half years and was tempted to keep running it but it was time for a change . I bought it with 116k miles and it had full Lexus history which I continued every 10k miles although the last couple were the ones for cars over 5 years . It is due a service now . Apart from the servicing , the rear calipers were replaced and one shocker is leaking . Passed 2 mots like that although dealers kept saying needed replaced I resisted but if was keeping it that would have needed done . No issues with the hybrid system at all but it was always a concern of mine and part of the reason for getting rid so if it does go someone else's problem . I think it was starting to burn a little oil since had to top it up just before the last couple of services . No obvious leaks so think just burning a little . Apart from a couple of minor bodywork issues caused by hitting a deer a couple of years ago the only other problems were the memory seat function stopped working about 3 months ago and the reverse mirror tilt never really worked properly but no big deal . Oh and the passenger side heating wasn't working but again didn't bother me too much . Put it this way it is one of the best cars I have had and have since bought another hybrid rx450 again with high miles for my wife . It is 2009 and has 114k miles so far. Hope that helps .

• Like 1

well considering the mileage done i think thats very good and I would'nt be complaining.

a car which recently sold was a 06 plate with 130k and had had

1) Complete new Battery

2) New shock and bushes all around

3) New water Pump

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well if the only issue is the Battery pack which can be repaired for £50 or full renovated pack for £800 and price dictates that then what are the other issues with it. I bought a fairly high milage one with the knowledge that the Battery may go and ajusted the price when i bought it to take that into account, otherwise i have no issues with mine at all. at that high a mileage it would have been all motorway driving (unlikely to have been mini cabbed) so pretty sound on the engine if its been looked after ok

well if the only issue is the battery pack which can be repaired for £50 or full renovated pack for £800 and price dictates that then what are the other issues with it. I bought a fairly high milage one with the knowledge that the battery may go and ajusted the price when i bought it to take that into account, otherwise i have no issues with mine at all. at that high a mileage it would have been all motorway driving (unlikely to have been mini cabbed) so pretty sound on the engine if its been looked after ok

hi

Other common issues are:

1) Leaking shocks - these are only available from lexus at the moment

2) Leaking/weeping water pumps

3) Creaking dash which can be annoying

4) Failed transmission oil pumps - lexus will only replace the whole transmission however one member on here "hayne" has successfully repaired his..

5) there has been a small number of inverter failures which is also very pricey.

what mileage is yours and what major components have been replaced?

• Like 1

Well after I bought my Prius in August, I got it from an auction and must have been the cheapest 2004 Prius in the country... (with 136000 miles and two owners from new, not used as a taxi no... lol)

Full Service history too but I don't think it matters as even if they had service history, I do not think the maintenance touches the hybrid components.

My Prius had a Hybrid fault at the point of sale, so I got it at the right price... thinking I will change Battery pack etc. I invested to a miniVCI for my laptop and it has been a life saver.

It turned out the Battery had no fault nor the hubrid system.

The problem was with the hybrid Battery fan not coming on... after so much poking around. I found it was a totally corroded plug joining 5 wires, one of them was the command wire from the Hybrid ECU to the Fan to tell it to come on or off and what speed. That plug is on the totally otherside of the boot in the wiring loom. And it got so corroded because there was a hairline crack on the roofline above the boot lid (known fault of Prius) and allowed rain water to sip in the boot area.

All in all it cost me £4.50 bought a generic plug replacement from Halfords fitted it and my Prius has been going strong for the last few months and already done 11.000 miles in it.

It still has the original Battery pack and 145.000 on the clock at the moment.

The cars are not so much unreliable, I am confident to say it is lack of knowledge of the garage to locate the correct problem, and patching the problem with a "in thinking correct solution" might cause a bigger problem.

Unfortunatelly when the Hybrid Fault comes in the dash ... it can be a big number of things. I was looking for replacement Hybrid Battery cooling fans, relays etc... and I was looking in totally the wrong direction. Only when I read the LAST option of the Toyota troubleshooting about the inspection of wiring loom. And then I seen the broken cable which it was exactly on the opposite side of the boot where the error codes were pointing me to.

I do still want to buy a Lexus GS450h and replace my currect Audi A6 ('05) so maybe I will do it in the beginning of the 2016.

this one disappeared and has come back on today

I contacted the guy about a month ago to ask if he had sold it and he said he was using it and enjoying it himself so at that time not for sale . He did say he would probably be selling it and looking for a lower mileage example for himself. See his advert is not too clever . No pics up yet and poor description.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links