Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ball Joint Failure

Hi all,

Look what happened to me last night.....

My car is a 2000 with 121000 miles on the clock.

lower and upper ball joints on both sides were replaced in 2011 at 95700 miles

All parts purchased on eBay, although I expect it was just bad luck that one failed.

There wasn't much warning, my steering started getting stiff earlier in the week and the car wouldn't 'self centre' when turning corners. Other than that there were no creaks or groans coming from the suspension at all. I haven't had a ball joint fail before, I'm surprised that the ball popped out of the socket rather than something snapping.

I was very lucky, just pulled out of the car park at work so I was only driving at about 5Mph. The damage to the wing was caused getting the car off the recovery truck.

I am hoping that a new ball joint will get me back on the road. An ABS fault has also appeared so I expect the cable has been damaged during the incident. The lower suspension arm hit the ground so I'm hoping that's not bent.

Don't worry, I will get both sides done. They are only £30 from Eurocar parts - oh dear cheap parts again......

Looking on the bright side, this it the first breakdown in nearly ten years.

post-14896-0-04241500-1443862381_thumb.j

post-14896-0-02459900-1443862404_thumb.j

post-14896-0-73232800-1443863565_thumb.j

Cheap chinese copy parts by any chance?

Looks like metal fatigue probably caused by the use of poor quality steel, may be worth investing in OEM at around a hundred pounds a pair.

I'm flying tomorrow so glad they don't fit this crap on aircraft