Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nothing is perfect in this life I know, but I've often wondered why Lexus changed its advertising slogan from 'The Pursuit of Perfection' to 'Amazing in Motion'. Is it just to sound more up-to-date do you think, or, because once established as a global company they could then surreptitiously cut corners a bit here and a bit there in order to keep up with the big (German) boys? The brand has certainly expanded its range considerably since its LS400 days, but are their cars as well built now as they were then? The development of the LS400 was probably without parallel in motoring history. So, it begs the question-- as a car builder, has Lexus ended its pursuit of perfection? Will my next Lexus be as good as my mk4 has turned out to be? (That's is supposing I sell it, which I doubt!) Food for thought.

• Like 1

I have had the same thoughts since the move onwards from the LS400 The 430 was a step backwards and there have been issues with the 460s .

In the defence of Lexus engineers they have not had the funding that went with the LS400 initial concept from new scenario and they did have ten years after the initial launch to perfect the LS400 .

They will not ever get that again with a new model as their competitors and the market place move too fast in the modern age of car design.

So to sum up I think that the LS400 Mark 4 was as near as you will get to perfection in a Luxury sedan in its class.

• Like 3

These cars are truly Special indeed....I look for my old one P939 UHR every day all over the Net....

Daftest thing I ever did was thinking I was " upgrading " to the 460. :innocent:

You will NEVER find a car built like the 400s were...far too many drive assist systems interfering with your driving in my view .

They quite simply dont make cars like that anymore.....and never will again.

To my mind the LS 400 Mk4 has everything you really need, a decent seat, great gear box, hardy engine, good build, electric mirrors, traction control, CD player, even a cassette deck etc etc.

The only thing it could do with is some USB ports and a MP3 input jack for the all the gubbins we now have.

I have no need of a fridge, or massage seats, or on board TV's and so on, just adds weight and more stuff to go out of data/break.

Maybe in the future we will have cars with on-board log fires, personal gym, four-poster bed and saw horse - to name a few - but I will still feel I have everything most sane drivers need when I will still be pottering about in my Mk4.

• Like 1

............. there's a timeline with this too of course ......... . originally 28 years ago, with the initial development phase " Pursuit " was correct and so now having achieved that ( so they say ) the final achieved phase is just " Amazing " :whistling:

Malc

............. there's a timeline with this too of course ......... . originally 28 years ago, with the initial development phase " Pursuit " was correct and so now having achieved that ( so they say ) the final achieved phase is just " Amazing " :whistling:

Malc

yes agree wiith that - "pursuit" seems to convey that they are still trying to get there

But are they trying as hard today as they used to? In today's cut throat market, with rapid model development, I can't help but have my suspicions that the answer is 'no'.

Modern Lexus models dont have what they had before. Even the dealership feels fake and what happened to that JD Power survey awards stuff... have they won one recently? They are only where they are now from how things were before. I imagine they will struggle as time goes on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links