Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Minor Niggles; All Good Otherwise

I collected my NX 300h Premier 3 weeks ago, and have done about 500 miles in it. I think I have just about got a handle on it all now. I really like the car a lot; it is extremely comfortable, obviously well made, and has enough power for my needs. I don't see why it has received criticism for the gearbox etc; I think it is extremely smooth and refined, and accelerates very well. Obviously not a track car, nor if you are a real boy racer, but for 99.9% of the time I think it is about right. I think a lot of it is about perception: I actually like the linear way it drives, with revs rarely going above 2,000. Economy could be better, but given the recent revelations about diesel, and glad to have got rid of my Citroen DS5 hybrid (a much better car than people said, but no way near as smooth as the Lexus) and come back to Lexus (used to have an IS250.

I have a couple of niggles that might iron out over time, and some I just need to learn to manage. I have had a rattle at the tailgate, even sounding like a loose window. I recall that such a thing was mentioned on one of the long-term tests "Our Cars" in one of the magazines (Autocar, Autoexpress, Top Gear, What Car, and Car magazine all seem to have the NX Premier for a year, so Lexus must be confident to expose the car to motoring journalists, or they think that long-term impressions are better than short-term ones; same with other Lexus models, it is usually the car that is most popular in the car pool!). Anyway back to the rattle, and it appears to be the rear number plate rattling: if I can't muffle it it'll be back to the dealer: why can't they have a proper mounting system.

Secondly, I nearly damaged the rear powered tailgate. In a covered car park last weekend I opened the boot while standing a the side (having reversed into the space), and then realised that the tailgate was going to hit a beam above it. I reacted quickly but only just managed to find the button to stop it, and my lack of experience meant I didn't have a fob in my hand. I tried to stop it by holding the tailgate down, but once it is going up or down under power it is impossible to stop. I must have been less than half an inch from hitting the roof, and god knows what damage it would have done. You'd think there would be some sensor to stop this happening (I know it would be technically difficult, but that's what technology is for). Also when closing there seems to be nothing to stop your arm or even head being chopped off if you left them at the mercy of the tailgate, or more realistically tried to pull something from the back at the last second. There is a pressure pad along the two sides of the tailgate if something got jammed there (so if you are trying to get something out in the last second come at it from an angle!) but nothing at the actual bottom of the tailgate. I have thought of sticking a cucumber or carrot at the bottom to see what would happen. I know the manual warns against sticking fingers there, but small children and grown men don't read manuals. And I know a manually operated tailgate can be slammed down, but they can be more easily controlled. All I can say is that I was glad the powered tailgate was so slow (which it has been criticised for), because if it had not been then the car would have been damaged. I know you can also adjust the height it lifts, but anything less than full height makes it more difficult to access the load area, which itself could cause a sore head.

Another gripe is no digital clock: I like the analogue clock, but I would have thought that somewhere on the many screens one could display a digital clock.

I am also not sure where the parallel parking function on the Parking Assist is working: I cannot see what the manual shows on this. (SINCE posting this it occurs to me that this function might not be included in the Premier as it has the panoramic camera, which is brilliant).

Finally for now, the wife got a bit upset about the ride quality along a section of country road. There was quite a bit of vibration, and the car never settled. I haven't had it much, but it is noticeable. I do not know though whether it is because the suspension is a bit stiffer being new?, or whether its the tyres themselves or tyre pressure, or it is the chassis (which again some of the reviews have criticised the ride quality). Generally though I think it rides really well. Any experiences or advice on this would be much obliged!

I am sure I will have some more gripes, but overall I really do like the car.

No sensors for the tailgate. Its technically a door and hence, if you tried opening a door into a garage wall for example, Im sure it wouldnt stop you.

As for the ride, number of factors - tyre pressure, suspension or crap british roads. Its got a higher centre of gravity needing firmer suspension than something like the NX.

Parallel parking assist - dunno - don't need this - actually I can just sense where the side and rear is using just the camera.

All rear number plates should have some tape around the screws - maybe the dealer forgot to add these? Lexus Chester stick their plates on for this very reason and don't use screws.

Lexus vehicles in general don't give the most compliant ride, something that the press complain about with the CT, IS, NX and RX. Not much you can do other than lower tyre pressures slightly which may decrease your mpg. I would not expect the suspension to change with mileage, just you will get more use to it.

I'm surprised the jam protection is just pressure pads on the side. My old RX400h would detect resistance on the tailgate and stop moving, when either going up or down. One positive is you can adjust the height at which the tailgate stops on the NX, you could set it lower to avoid the issue occurring again.

Lexus vehicles in general don't give the most compliant ride, something that the press complain about with the CT, IS, NX and RX. Not much you can do other than lower tyre pressures slightly which may decrease your mpg. I would not expect the suspension to change with mileage, just you will get more use to it.

I'm surprised the jam protection is just pressure pads on the side. My old RX400h would detect resistance on the tailgate and stop moving, when either going up or down. One positive is you can adjust the height at which the tailgate stops on the NX, you could set it lower to avoid the issue occurring again.

I might try reducing the tyre pressure a bit, but I will give it some time to get more experience with road surfaces.

I would have thought that something that detected resistance would have been required for the tailgate, rather than just some pressure pads. Believe me, I put a lot of resistance on the tailgate and couldn't stop it. Interesting that your RX did have this. The problem with lowering the tailgate height is that it is awkward to get into, but next time I have restricted space above the car I will do that on the settings. Once the tailgate has stopped one can move it up and down manually, although do this too fast and the power comes on again; and I am not sure which way the thing will move when it starts up again. I still like the feature, but I think it should be a lot safer!

No sensors for the tailgate. Its technically a door and hence, if you tried opening a door into a garage wall for example, Im sure it wouldnt stop you.

As for the ride, number of factors - tyre pressure, suspension or crap british roads. Its got a higher centre of gravity needing firmer suspension than something like the NX.

Parallel parking assist - dunno - don't need this - actually I can just sense where the side and rear is using just the camera.

All rear number plates should have some tape around the screws - maybe the dealer forgot to add these? Lexus Chester stick their plates on for this very reason and don't use screws.

I take your point about the tailgate being a door, but all the other doors you can stop them moving by grabbing them: you cannot do this with the tailgate.

Further investigation has shown that the number plate is held on by screws and some adhesive pads; I have added some more of this, and see if this does the trick.

Are you sure it's not the rear subwoofer? I think an owner had a rattle in that

Thanks for the suggestion; I saw that somewhere as well, but there is no sign of rattle around the subwoofer. Definitely the number plate: I think it is slightly bowed, so have put more padding behind it. Next time I am near the dealer I will go in and get it sorted.

In order to circumvent the issue of the power tailgate hitting the ceiling in a garage / car park, why not open the tailgate manually rather than with the remote? You can then control when you want it to stop!

I am staying with my sick mother right now, and my wife has kept the car, grrrrr. So, this may be a daft question, but as I can't check it out by doing it myself, can you open it manually?

In order to circumvent the issue of the power tailgate hitting the ceiling in a garage / car park, why not open the tailgate manually rather than with the remote? You can then control when you want it to stop!

I was going to respond that it could only be operated under power, but I was just looking at the online manual when your message came through, and looked again and found a setting on the dashboard screen that seems to be about the power tailgate: ie turns it on an off, so I will try that out (when I get out of the garage tomorrow). Thanks for your comment spurring me to look again!

I am staying with my sick mother right now, and my wife has kept the car, grrrrr. So, this may be a daft question, but as I can't check it out by doing it myself, can you open it manually?

Just responded to DanD: looks like there is a setting for it, so will try it out tomorrow. How are you getting on with the car, when you can get it!

When I picked mine up the dealer said it couldn't be opened manually. However, page 147 suggests the power operation can be turned off via the menu accessed from the controls on the steering wheel, which then come up on the dash.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

When I picked mine up the dealer said it couldn't be opened manually. However, page 147 suggests the power operation can be turned off via the menu accessed from the controls on the steering wheel, which then come up on the dash.

Ive been opening my RX one manually from time to time for 3 years...!

However, mine doesn't open automatically when pressing the button on the hatch. It needs lifting up. Im sure the NX is slightly different in that you press the button on the hatch and then it goes up automatically?

Ive been opening my RX one manually from time to time for 3 years...!

However, mine doesn't open automatically when pressing the button on the hatch. It needs lifting up. Im sure the NX is slightly different in that you press the button on the hatch and then it goes up automatically?

Yes, it's fully automatic both up and down.

Having looked at the manual and found the setting on the multi information display operated on the steering wheel, you can definitely turn the power off to the tailgate. Then pressing the rear door button will release it, but then you can physically move the door slowly up and down: there is a lot of resistance: it is the same as when you stop the tailgate moving when under power, but without triggering the power to come back on. It is quite heavy, but I think a good protocol when there is limited headroom is to depend on manual operation: the door doesn't fling up or anything. So probably the best solution. It is a bit frustrating how slowly the door moves when under power, but I think safety is more important. By the time you set the door to close you can be sitting in the car ready to head off: you'd have to be moving pretty quickly to beat the door.

I went back to my dealer to look at the rear number plate rattle. Technician said that it was a common problem with NXs when using metal number plates. They claim they use special noise-reducing tape provided by Lexus, but only did the ends (one of which had come away): this time they fixed the tape all the way around. Maybe in the future they could do this for everyone, seeing it is a common problem!

Having looked at the manual and found the setting on the multi information display operated on the steering wheel, you can definitely turn the power off to the tailgate. Then pressing the rear door button will release it, but then you can physically move the door slowly up and down: there is a lot of resistance: it is the same as when you stop the tailgate moving when under power, but without triggering the power to come back on. It is quite heavy, but I think a good protocol when there is limited headroom is to depend on manual operation: the door doesn't fling up or anything. So probably the best solution. It is a bit frustrating how slowly the door moves when under power, but I think safety is more important. By the time you set the door to close you can be sitting in the car ready to head off: you'd have to be moving pretty quickly to beat the door.

I went back to my dealer to look at the rear number plate rattle. Technician said that it was a common problem with NXs when using metal number plates. They claim they use special noise-reducing tape provided by Lexus, but only did the ends (one of which had come away): this time they fixed the tape all the way around. Maybe in the future they could do this for everyone, seeing it is a common problem!

So why do they use metal plates then? The acrylic ones would suffice and you won't get that rattle

• 4 weeks later...

An update since starting this thread. I really like the car, but I am annoyed that I am plagued by two rattles. One is the plastic above the centre console vents, which vibrates after some time of driving. This was "fixed" when the car went in a couple of weeks ago to resolve the other rattle. However the plastic trim is vibrating again, and doesn't sit right, so it will have to be refixed. The second rattle from the back was not detected on that visit, but it remains. Having taken out everything from the boot (spare wheel and all) and taped the trim everywhere, I am convinced that the rattle is the middle rear seat belt mechanism: it looks like it is anchored on the nearside rear pillar, and I can make it noisy when I brake or going over bumps. Yanking the seatbelt also makes a more metallic noise than the other seatbelts, and the noise is coming from the same area that my wife identified when sitting in the back. Knowing the source of the noise is reassuring, but fixing it will probably involve lots of work removing the trim and ceiling liner. Anyway it's going in in a week's time so hopefully everything will be resolved finally. I will post this update on the other thread about the rattle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links