Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acf-50 All Metal Anti-corrosion Spray?

Does anyone use this for winter protection?

"ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray"

I know it's for motorbikes but I've seen it used for cars too...

:driving:

ACF-50 is primarily an aviation protection product, popular for marine application in the US and for motor bikes here in the UK.

After losing a superb '95 LS400 to rust hopes now rest with this product to protect my '06 RX350 and a '04 LS430 but have only just applied it so can give no reports on its effectiveness.

It comes in a thicker form called Corrosion Block for under body application and lasts for 12 to 18 months. I am happy to treat my cars each year.

Have opted for this approach because obscuring everything in a thick wax worries me and ACF-50 can be applied to all components including electrics, rubbers and painted surfaces.

Rather like WD40 it is a water dispersant but unlike WD40 it does not with time become hygroscopic and promote rust [if you doubt this statement please refer to the engineering section of the CAA].

It is also sold under the name Corrosion Block as a water proof grease.

• Like 2

I use it on my bikes and it works but you do have to reapply if you have been using the machine in prolonged wet salty conditions. It's very expensive if you only buy the spray cans but you can buy it in 2 litre (or maybe it's one litre) bottles and this lasts forever if you paint it on thinly with a brush (I use a radiator brush). It needs only the thinnest of coats and according to the manufacturer it will 'creep' into the crevices.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think Piers are you going to give this stuff a go? I suspect the underneath of your rx looks like mine - dreadful, thus causing you to broach the subject. I was considering a professional outfit using Dinitrol, I like the sound of the firm in Spalding (rust master, or blaster, or buster...) but it's too far for me, but there is a place in Yorkshire called jr classics who have a good reputation. A dear do though, probably half a grand, give or take a hundred pounds...

For I were to try this ACF-50 stuff what sort of preparation must I undertake? Scrabbling about underneath the car with a wire brush? I would appreciate some advice from anybody who has tried it already. I would be an.e to use it on my motorcycle as well, but I'm worried about it leaving greasy residue - does it?

What do you think Piers are you going to give this stuff a go? I suspect the underneath of your rx looks like mine - dreadful, thus causing you to broach the subject. I was considering a professional outfit using Dinitrol, I like the sound of the firm in Spalding (rust master, or blaster, or buster...) but it's too far for me, but there is a place in Yorkshire called jr classics who have a good reputation. A dear do though, probably half a grand, give or take a hundred pounds...

For I were to try this ACF-50 stuff what sort of preparation must I undertake? Scrabbling about underneath the car with a wire brush? I would appreciate some advice from anybody who has tried it already. I would be an.e to use it on my motorcycle as well, but I'm worried about it leaving greasy residue - does it?

Honest answer ... I don't know as yet. I like the idea. Just need to give it some thought now ...

Piers.

I wonder if it would work on the exhaust mounting brackets, they are really prone to rust... I assume the heat from the exhaust would cook the stuff off?

amazon reviews really rate the product, most people recommend the tin rather than spray and thin coats every few months on motorbikes, not sure how long a thicker coat underneath the car would last in bad weather...

Surface prep is just a good rub with a wire brush, probably a squirt or two of brake cleaner to ensure surface dirt and dust is removed prior to application. It may be cheaper to buy a few tins of cheap "direct to rust" style hammerite type spray paint - in black you'd at least be able to see where it was applied and the shiny smooth finish should stop most stuff sticking to it....

It does bake off in no time from hot surfaces

yes it does leave a very slightly sticky coating when the carrier evaporates and this collects dust and dirt - just like WD40 does

IMHO unless you apply it to a new or nearly new vehicle you are probably wasting your time. Motorcyclists' frame and engine are on constant display so most of us work hard from the outset to stop layers of rust getting a hold. But underneath a car nobody really sees it unless they look, and the layer of rust is probably as good as a layer of ACF50 at preventing further corrosion.

Don't get it on your brake pads in any quantity as you will have no brakes for quite a while until it burns off (and you might need new pads).

Mike

• Like 2