Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h 100k Service And Timing Belt

Hi guys I've just bought a 2008 rx400h with 126000 on the clock but the service history doesn't look great so I'm gonna have a 100k service and timing belt done.ive been quoted £695 at Lexus Stockport but think I'm gonna go see dj autos in Oldham as I'm only 10mins away.my question is do I need to do the water pump too as Lexus said it might get damaged when doing the timing belt and my mate said I deffo need to replace it.any advice is greatly appreciated thanx aidy

Defo on the water pump!

If you can (and do change it) please can you post a pic of the water pump gasket (which should also be changed).

How will you get the hybrid system checked & serviced? Will you be doing the inverter coolant?

• Like 1

The reason for doing the water pump is the labour cost involved in doing it separately should it need replacing in the future. The decision is similar to insurance/extended warranties.

When my 400h had it's 100k service the dealer advised there was no need for the pump to be replaced, or even the belt tensioners/idlers. It had 114k on the clock when I sold it, no issues with the water pump.

• Like 1

Thanx guys so am I best letting Lexus do the service as they will also check and service the hybrid system for me too they quoted me an additional £200 for the water pump to be done at the same time

If you look at the following page under the essentials care you will see fixed price servicing that Lexus dealers cannot charge extra for. Compare these prices to your independent. No reason why you couldn't get the two pieces of work done at different places - just more convenient to get it done all at once.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#/ServicingYourLexus/LexusEssentialCareRX

• Like 2

I've looked at the service prices and it says

FULL + 100
Our most
comprehensive service,
with the additional
100,000 mile
replacement of longer
service interval items.

It doesn't say what they replace, does anyone know what these are?

• Like 1

The breakdown of the Full +100 is on the website. I've also attached here. It doesn't include the timing belt replacement, only inspection and if it needs doing then additional charges are needed.

attachicon.gifLexus-Full-plus-100-Service-Summary_tcm880-1321791.pdf

Had a look at my service document and it shows that the timing belt must be replaced at 100,000 miles not just inspected so I would assume that the cost of a Full + 100 would include this. I also asume that the * refers to fitting an idler or waterpump if found to be needed.

When I enquired about an interim service I got a lot of vague double talk and reassurance but very little in the way of information. It was like pulling teeth but I finally established that the "essentials interim service" being offered was an oil & filter change followed by an inspection of other service items, which if required would cost extra !!! So that's £200 for an oil change and we will let you know how much more !!! Sorry !

• Like 1

Yep, it's a shame what's been going on with the Essential Service pricing, once your Lex is over 7 years old, they try to price you off the road!

Personally I think not providing good support for the older vehicles is a bit of a fallacy, how many old, old, LS owners with intergalactic mileage would even consider another brand when they do eventually shop for new wheels?

There is nothing more reassuring in the long run than seeing lots of old Toyotas and Lex's on the road still vs their mainstream competition, considering there were fewer sold to start with!

Yep, it's a shame what's been going on with the Essential Service pricing, once your Lex is over 7 years old, they try to price you off the road!

Personally I think not providing good support for the older vehicles is a bit of a fallacy, how many old, old, LS owners with intergalactic mileage would even consider another brand when they do eventually shop for new wheels?

There is nothing more reassuring in the long run than seeing lots of old Toyotas and Lex's on the road still vs their mainstream competition, considering there were fewer sold to start with!

Even though I had terrible reliability problems with my LS430 I have been idly considering swapping my current RX400H for another big Lexus saloon. Imagine my surprise therefore to discover that Lexus don't seem to sell them anymore. At least I cannot find one on their website. (Not that I would have bought a new one mind you)

Mike

(hmmm ... strike that - the main lexus site does list the 600 as being available but strangely lexusteesside does not. I wonder if any other dealers have dropped the 600 from their promotions)

Even more weird - Lexus' official used car site does not list any LS cars for sale anywhere and the whole LS category is missing.

I had my 100000 mile service done at DJ autos - they did the service, the timing belt, the water pump and the plugs. I have no idea about the extras you would need doing on a hybrid as I know nothing of such new fangled things, but it would t do you any harm to enquirer at DJ - very good garage.

• Like 1

Decided to go with Lexus Stockport as they are seemingly given me a good price as a loyalty bonus as its been in there before also got a price for the same work at Lexus Manchester and they wanted nearly £300 more😕 Dj autos were £100 cheaper but he said he hadn't done many hybrids mostly 300's.........am I also right in thinking that in gonna have to pay for the plugs to be done too????

• Like 1

I just had a 100k service on a 2007 RX400h for £695 + £554.62 for a timing belt change + £270.58 for waterpump replacement.

This is from Lexus Twickenham. I thought the timing belt change was part of the 100k service but I guess it is in addition to it.

• Like 1

It's confusing to know what they DO check and/or Do?!

http://www.lexus.co.uk/img/Lexus-Full-plus-100-Service-Summary_tcm880-1321791.pdf

I guess your itemised bill would show you ...

( ... and how important for example are things like this, "Lubricate prop shaft joints (model dependant)" ?)

• Like 1