Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Repair Kit

jsct200h

Got a TRK (tyre repair kit) on my CT 200h.

I did a bit of research and found out that it would cost me about £300 to get a space saver spare fit on the car.

I'd like to know if you decided to stay with the TRK or got the spare wheel. Also If you stuck with the TRK, did you get any occasion to use it so far (had a tyre pucture or so)? Did you miss the spare wheel?

Please share with us your experience.

I think I prefer to have a spare wheel but the space I'm saving with the kit + money makes me think more before taking a decision.

I have one on my is,never not had a spare before, but then also a couple of hundred thousand miles since I had a puncture, so not over concerned, I wondered though is there any way to just use the pump on its own just to top up the tyres?

• Like 1

I hate tyre repair kits! Not that I've had course to use one.. that's tempting fate!

I've heard so many stories about them, they're good for a quick repair to an ordinary puncture in middle of the tread, but what happens when you damage the outer part of the tyre or get a cut in the tyre wall - useless! Also rumour has it here in the UK a lot of repair firms are loath to clean out the tyre before making the repair so force you into a new tyre - fine if the tread is well worn but then you effectively have double the cost.

Also the TRK's have a shelf life so if you're intending to keep the car for a while you may have the extra cost even if you haven't used the kit.

I've gone down the route of purchasing a space saver on my last two cars, just for the 'peace of mind'. The down side being that many vehicles don't have a wheel well for storage so boot space is lost.

Yes it would be good to hear other members thoughts and experiences on this.

• Like 1

If you buy a spacesaver, I would think it's important that its storage space is large enough to take the full size wheel, as it's Murphy's law that you'll get a puncture when the boot's full of luggage, and the cabin's full of passengers..................

If you buy a spacesaver, I would think it's important that its storage space is large enough to take the full size wheel, as it's Murphy's law that you'll get a puncture when the boot's full of luggage, and the cabin's full of passengers..................

You can always leave the kids/mother in law by the side of the road and put the wheel on their seat.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Van-Tyre-Tire-Puncture-Repair-Kit-With-5-Strips-New-High-Quality-Tools-/351418788513?hash=item51d2312aa1

i have used this type of repair in our hybrid jazz and it has worked really well,i repaired the tyre using this kit

approximately 2 months ago and the tyre hasn't lost any air.

it takes about 5 minutes to complete the repair all you need is a compressor / pump to re inflate the tyre.

the other benefit is that it takes up next to no space so you still have your under storage.

• Like 2

Mark,

My partner had the AA out to repair a puncture and they used a similar kit, but think the rubber core they used looked more substantial. They did stress it was a temporary repair and the tyre should be repaired properly asap.

I would not like to think I'd risk driving at 70 with that sort of DIY repair, but then that's my personal view.

i am not saying have it as a permanent repair but how often have you had to change a wheel over the last few years,

a space saver is only a get you home measure just like the kit but the kit will take up less space and cost you far less .

i only mentioned a timescale to demonstrate how well the kit seals.

these kits are sold with motorbikes in mind except for a bike you have a co2 cannister aswell for re inflation

so they must have a proven track record and be regarded as safe.

• Like 1

I agree with steverally "I've heard so many stories about them, they're good for a quick repair to an ordinary puncture in middle of the tread, but what happens when you damage the outer part of the tyre or get a cut in the tyre wall - useless! Also rumour has it here in the UK a lot of repair firms are loath to clean out the tyre before making the repair so force you into a new tyre - fine if the tread is well worn but then you effectively have double the cost.

Also the TRK's have a shelf life so if you're intending to keep the car for a while you may have the extra cost even if you haven't used the kit."

I also have a space saver. There are internet sites which detail the exact dimensions of the road wheels and also give details of which vehicle use wheels which are of the same dimensions. It is therefore easy to find out which cheap and easy to find space savers are suitable for your car.

One potential issue with space savers is that if one has a puncture on a front tyre it is best to take a wheel off the back axle of the car, transfer it to the front axle and to fit the space saver to the rear axle. Observance of the 50 mph limit on space saver is a must.

I see no reason why a full sized spare being provided with new cars wasn't included in construction and use regulations.I can see plenty of reasons why manufacturers don't like to provide full sized spares. I have heard the bullsh reasons such as weight saving etc but having read the car manuals, I have never seen it pointed out that cars carrying an extra 15kg in the form of an overweight driver will see fuel consumption fall drastically and as catastrophically as some would have us believe.

Hi!. I'm a new Ct200H owner (5months) and I had to use the tyre repair kit yesterday. Initially I was amazed that within 10mins I was up and running and on my way home. Just plug in the kit, break the seal, connect the hose and switch it on. You don't need to jack up your car so you barely get your hands dirty.

24 hours later and I am beginning to see what can be a simple easy task result in some huge headaches:

1. It's only a temp fix. You're supposedly limited to 55mph and 50miles. I'm already up to 30miles and I don't have time to visit a tyre supplier until Thursday. So I'm on public transport till then. I don't really want to drive and have the sealant fail on me. Maybe someone here can tell me that they have driven for longer after using the TRK.
  2. I too have heard of a lot of fitters will bin your tyre after filling it with goo/sealant.This wouldn't be an issue except the the sealant is costing me £109 to replace from Lexus (or £180 for the whole unit!) For the cost of 2/3 budget tyres I get a small bottle of sealant which can only fix only tyre ... temporarily.
  3. The TRK can't handle sidewall or huge lacerations in the tyre.

My local Lexus dealer also is being a bit shady about what tyres they are fitting for me. I finally get through to someone who can quote me a figure for new tyres and I get £119 per tyre. I managed to get it down to the correct size and now it's only £62 per tyre. So this one puncture will cost me £171 min.

I'm still not decided on which is better. £300 for a space saver/full size tyre (and all the confidence you get with that), boot adapter to store it, loss of boot space and cost of repairs to tyre OR the ease of repairing your own tire and then £170 per puncture for a new tyre.

• Like 1

for anyone who likes the tyre goo then forget about the lexus one just buy yourself a can of holts tyre weld for about £8 and a compressor for about £12, keep that in your car instead

of using the rip off lexus version this way you will only waste the cost of the tyre weld ,i have been told that if you use white spirit you can remove the tyre goo and get the tyre repaired

so dont just scrap the tyre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I fully recommend these. easy to use & allows you to drive home & not scrap tyre.

Although it is classed as temp repair, I've driven on repair for a few years without any issues.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-STRIPS/dp/B004JFZGRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448887482&sr=8-1&keywords=tyre+puncture+kit

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links