Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've searched and searched, but cannot find an easy fix for this. I've had the channels blown out with an air gun, but still have water coming in from the drivers A pillar.

I know there are videos showing how to remove the headliner and replace the pipe, but I've also heard that there's away to do which involves minimal removal.

Thing is I cannot locate this information. It maybe that's it's not possible but I'd like, if possible, to try this as the headliner is never quite the same after removal (old GS430 Gen2).

I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the pipe is detached where it fits to the sunroof drainage pipe, if that makes sense.

A pointer to the info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried the US forum? They, usually, have great DIY tips - complete with pictures.

Yes I have. My hopes were raised by Hellom8's post;

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/65434-water-leak-drivers-side-a-pillar-interior/

but he's not been around. I just wondered if anyone else knew how it could be done.

I've also heard about feeding a new tube down the existing one, but haven't found anything to back it up. I suspect it will be a headlining out job, but they're never quite the same taken out after 15 years :-( Ho Hum.

You could potentially pass a smaller tube down inside the old one and seal at the top to make sure water cannot pass between the two. The diameter of the new tube would have to be quite small so you would regularly need to make sure it wasn't blocked. If you believe the pipe has detached from the top mounting then it may be difficult to feed the new pipe into the old.

My main concern is the wholesale removal of the headliner. If the issue cannot be resolved without removal, then I might as well get the job done properly, ie get a new pipe fitted.

My main concern is the wholesale removal of the headliner. If the issue cannot be resolved without removal, then I might as well get the job done properly, ie get a new pipe fitted.

Absolutely, are you not able to feed a tube down with everything still in place?

Absolutely, are you not able to feed a tube down with everything still in place?

I guess that was my original question :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard back from my garage yet. I'll post up when I have news.

Previously I got my local tyre place to blow through the pipe, but that made no difference which makes me think the pipe is broken/split/disconnected.

Finally decided to have the tube replaced........except that Lexus have helpfully discontinued it. Part no is 632203005. Does anyone have any idea where I might source this. I know it's possible to get it from the US, but I'd prefer, if possible, to get it a little quicker.

Thanks

EDIT: Well not had any luck at all. Lexus equate "discontinued" with discontinued and out of stock. I tried a few dealers and got the same response. Then tried Lexus CS. Frankly the woman didn't seem to know a thing, pointed me to a secure website that I could not access, and generally was not particularly interested in helping.

I then tried my local Toyota dealer who frankly, whilst still unable to find a tube, was considerably more helpful. He opined that if Lexus say something is discontinued, then it is also out of stock, world-wide. He scratched ho head a bit when I pointed out that there are plenty in the US! Still, at least he tried.

To top it all, I can't find a US outfit that will ship to the UK.

My G-Wagen is ten years older than my Lexus and and I can get parts for that :whistling:

Edited by IanA2

• 5 years later...

Reviving this old thread as found Water on the front passenger mat after Monday nights squall. Quite a lot.  

I don't have a diagram of the Water drains for the Car. Can anyone Post a photo from a Workshop manual?  

Read here that it may be the Sun roof channel. Wasn't sure when I last looked at the windscreen area if the drain is down a small plastic grid like fitting?  

Any advice? I ususally use a net curtain flexi cable to rod. Wouldn't use high pressure as read can disconnect pipe or do damage.  

Are those Workshop Manual downloads safe?  I have a Cd for the LS400 and frankly its rubbish as it doesn't clearly identify each image so you end up having to look at every image and hope you'll arrive atwhat you want!

Thanks

• Sad 1

Well, the problems just keep on coming. Leaking front Caliper means another purchase from Rock Auto en route.

Wish I'd not gone onto Facebook marketplace!!  Both front drains blocked or have become disconnected?

Seems like the drain point is just where the jack point is, so both sides seem to have suffered from crunching by a Garage jack, I suspect.

Going to give the above video another look as although I haven't experienced misting in the Car I'm guessing to raise the Carpet will raise my blood pressure.  A little unclear about what the white  block is?  I'll be somewhat cautious about the side airbag. Disconnect the Battery neg. and wait fifiteen mins. perhaps? Need to get some half inch tube as 3/8 or 10mm won't do the job.

Decided to seal the Sunroof with electrical tape temporarily as storms forecast and busy week coming.  I'll get some pleasure out of this GS someday!  (possibly)

Thinking the sun roof pipes must have become dislodged or are split as water drips from just under the dashboard when poured down the hole t'other day.  Am assuming that they run along the A pillar? Sunroof sealed until I have a clear day to investigate behind A Pillar and hoping that I don't have to lower the Headliner, but looks a distinct possibility. 

Got an Endoscope but too large to go into the drain hole. Also invarably its impossible to see what its looking at on a Laptop Screen unless you do the task at Midnight.  

If its streaming down on to the Carpet it must be a dislodged tube and not the lower drain point clogged as water would back right up the tube in such case.

I've also found the Carpet wet by the side of the Seats.  Not too sure how this would happen. Wondering if where the two doors meet at the roofline, there is a gap there. Can't surely allow water in? Suspect its Water creep.

Much to be done Folks! 

Only good news is the o/s/f Caliper arrived today from USA and it had the two bow shaped springs which were missing on the n/s/f when it arrived a couple of weeks ago.  Gave the Mechanic a diagram of the Bow and some S/S wire to make two springs,   which he duly did.

For £100 on my door step a new (remanufactured) Caliper with integral Bracket is a good buy.  Mechanic phoned me when replacing the n/s/f a week back and said he approached Lexus Parts and was told a new Bracket would cost just under £300.   What he'd failed to do was check out what I'd supplied and was still in the boot. He'd not inspected it.  What a relief  for him and me as the old Caliper Bracket bolt had snapped when he was removing it. Was possible to do the job, after all.     

Sorry about the Saga. This GS just keeps on giving !

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the saga. Save someone else the anxiety I've tried to cope with.

Lowering the headliner is very difficult as the part that surrounds the Sunroof does not have a seperate bead which when removed allows the headliner to fall. Fact is, not sure how it is affixed at that point.  Both tubes had come adrift from Sunroof. Doh!   The end piece which joins the pipe was as flexible as plastercine and was stretched beyond its original size. Can't say why? It was only held on by a wire crossover spring clip. Trying to put it back with just an envelope of space  even after removal of the grip handle above the door and release of the top part of the A pillar casing, Sun shades and Dome light,  was a struggle and impossible to do. Grazed hands to prove.

I ended up (Drivers side) adding a small piece (2") section of tube (smaller diameter) inserted into the original pipe end and then with hot water making it flexible enough to go over the metal tube end of the Sun roof.  Not easy!  No clip, but should shrink as cools.

Passenger side, with my bck and head against the Windscreen and my body on the Seat with one knee up the seat back and one leg holding the door from swinging into the neighbours car, after an hours effort I managed to get a ten inch section of new pipe (hot water treated) on to the metal pipe end.  I then had to join this new pipe length to the existing, by insertion, into the old pipe at the A Pillar.  Hot water again on the old pipe (used an Actimel bottle with kettle water) and finally put everything back together.

How much water is under the Carpet I do not know. Possibly little as sealed the Sunroof. Fact is, its not even easy to lift the Carpet without removing the Seat. Tucked Towelling down and hopefully drained out any water.

Air bags in A pillar, above Doors and in Seats makes removing the Negative terminal of the Battery essential for safety i.m.o.  Then you can't move the Seat!! .     

I'll never  poke anything down a Sunroof drain again.  Just upward from now on!        

• Like 1

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Update on the saga. Save someone else the anxiety I've tried to cope with.

Wow! Dunkirk spirit. Well done.

• Like 1