Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ignition Coils Keep Breaking Within 2 Weeks.

BlinkyBill

There is a temperature switch on the radiator which controls the fans which could be faulty. Or your main thermostat on the engine could be stuck which doesn't allow the engine coolant to circulate fully around the radiator, so the radiator coolant never gets hot enough to trigger the fans.

post-3469-0-72582600-1446621705_thumb.pn

• 2 weeks later...

There is a temperature switch on the radiator which controls the fans which could be faulty. Or your main thermostat on the engine could be stuck which doesn't allow the engine coolant to circulate fully around the radiator, so the radiator coolant never gets hot enough to trigger the fans.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-04 at 07.20.59.png

Hey

It turns out my fan is working fine.

Its been around 2 weeks or so since my last post, I purchased another 6 Denso coils for cheap off somebody, and the car was working fine for the last 2 weeks, what I also noticed is that when the ignition coils are working well, the thermometer never goes over the halfway point, so it seems it may not be the heat that's degrading the coils, seems more like as the coils fail, the engine begins to run on less cylinders and this is what maybe creating the heat.

Any ideas as to what could be killing the coils if its not the heat?

Kind regards

Have you had the electrical system looked at? Is the 12v Battery ok, is the alternator ok and not providing over-voltage? Are the earth straps ok.

There is very little that could be at fault. 12v Battery and alternative power the ECU and the ECU is directly connected to the six coil packs.

Are your plugs the correct ones for the engine? Are the coil packs the correct ones for the engine? If everything checks out then I can only assume the ECU is at fault but I find that very unlikely.

Now - if the temp guage is showing overheating, under the bonnet is going to get very hot. If it's doing this all the time, then it will screw up other components.

It sounds to me that the root cause of the problem is the cooling system. Get it checked.

Reading all the above posts i deffentally agree with rincewind above. You need to sort the cooling out way before anything else as by the sound of it, its the root of your problem.

1st thing should be to test the block/headgasket, which in my experience sounds to be at the root of your problem as they do give grief on the is200 (or have it tested/there are many different ways block tester, stiffer test etc)

If that checks out the

start with the thermostat, just completely remove it for the time being, (open bonnet, trace bottom rad hose to block and you will find a flange held on with 2 10mm bolts. Remove then remove thermostat and refit flange. Refill with water and test)

Then test heater matrix remove hoses going into bulkhead and flush through with water refit/test etc

Work you way around the system until you find the fault, but as i say above i would bet on the head gasket, as it would explain the system you are describing ( away if you have had the engine to such a heat were it will not start you have probably warbed the cylinder head)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links