Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Possible Bargain Or Not?

Hi guys,

I noticed an LS430 for sale today on auto trader, it's a 2001 51 plate, 189k miles, 18 stamps in service book, on its 3rd cam belt, MOT until July 2016. It says there is a slight knocking from OSF wheel and a small dent on front bumper, they are asking £1500. I wondered if it might be worth a look. I've put a link to it below:

http://www.harisautomotive.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-430-4-3-4dr-eastwood-201511108577294

How good is the LS430? What are the things to check for on these?

Certainly worth a look, seems tidy from the photos , even the bump (more dent) seems to be liveable with.

The knock is probably the usual control arm wear your going to get at about this sort of mileage, or could be non OEM brake pads which can clunk about a bit.

I guess it is a short drive for you to have a look see, be interesting to see your thoughts if you do look/buy.

Definitely worth investigating, I'd say, if the history is there. All cars that age and price have a dent or scrape somewhere and/or need a bit of mechanical TLC. My only concern would be other (big) problems looming, which is why the dealer is getting rid of it now rather than fixing it first. Let us know how you get on.

Here are some of things u should check:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension.

Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works as motors are very expensive

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise
when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they
will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.
Check for rust around boot lid and front doors
Check back exhaust boxes for corrosion
Check for rear quarter glass delamination - going milky white

Check all electrics work

Check the Sat Nav works - there have been reports of some failures

Check the air suspension works and the compressor does not make any noises - set it to high and watch the ride height increase roughly an inch - the compressor then should switch off

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet - check boot struts also - these too fail
Check the parking sensors work - the front ones often fail and get switched off

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check toolkit is present

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 3 remote keys

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are
branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been
pampered or neglected

Before driving off make sure you have the sat nav code and locking wheel nut key.
hope this helps

Looks well used in the drivers and front passenger seat, alloys are scabby the dent is possibly push out but the cost of replacement is prohibitive.I think it will start costing money with that mileage.

There are better examples out there at lesser mileage and although the £1500 price looks cheap it might cost double that over the next couple of years.

I'd expect to put money into any car that old, because as long as it runs and has an MOT it's unlikely to lose any more value, but of course the nature of the 430 is that bills can be big when things go wrong. I'd still be tempted at that price, but I might think differently if I saw the car!

I found it was advertised in January at £1950 with 184K, and MOT is until August 24th 2016, but I cant get ahold of the MOT history on: www.check-mot.service.gov.uk which has never happened to me before.

Have found it was on plate 3667PZ at one point

**UPDATE**

MOT website was down, it failed MOT's in 2007 for tyres and bulbs, and in 2014 with OS FT suspension arm play. Only done 17k miles in last 4 years.

If you find the air suspension compressor is making a drumming noise, don't worry, it's the bushes it sits on, Bushes are around £10 for all 3 at dealers and it's an easy fix

Thanks for all the help and tips on what to look for, I'm hoping to go and see the car over the weekend if it doesn't sell in the meantime.

I have found another one for sale at fish motors in Bolton, this one is more expensive but is slightly newer and has 40k less miles on it, I emailed fish motors and they said that the service history is 10 Lexus stamps in the book with the cambelt changed at 123k, it is now on 140k, they said as far as they know everything works on the car but obviously I would have to check everything for myself, one thing I noticed is that I don't recognise the alloys, it says they are 18" but I haven't seen them before. Anyway, I have posted a link to the car below, what do you think??

http://www.fishmotors.co.uk/used-LEXUS-LS-bolton-bury-Manchester-668879

Thanks once again for all your help and input, I do appreciate it!!!

Martin

Looks good enough from the description and pics .The wheels are not Lexus wheels and to be honest do not suit the car .The owners wallet is there so that can be a good sign of attentive care the price is around book price for the year.

Worth a look and try to get it down a bit on price so you can get some Lexus wheels.

Hi guys,

I noticed an LS430 for sale today on auto trader, it's a 2001 51 plate, 189k miles, 18 stamps in service book, on its 3rd cam belt, MOT until July 2016. It says there is a slight knocking from OSF wheel and a small dent on front bumper, they are asking £1500. I wondered if it might be worth a look. I've put a link to it below:

http://www.harisautomotive.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-430-4-3-4dr-eastwood-201511108577294

How good is the LS430? What are the things to check for on these?

A sensible price for a change. That looks better than the 147,000 mile 02 I sold last month for £1650 with a short MOT; but mine had had an expensive coilover conversion. (I have doubts about buying any air suspended Lexus).

Check that the A/C works, at least at the front.

As ever, people make such a fuss about mileage when how it is used matters far more.

I'd far rather have a used car that has done 100 fast miles on the M'way each day than 2x5 miles on the school run.

Hi,

Just a quick update, I haven't yet been able to see any of the cars because I've been down with a horrible virus for the last few days, temperature, aches and pains etc.

The £1500 one has disappeared from Auto Trader but is still on their own website, I'll get in touch with them again to check it hasn't sold, in the meantime this has turned up on eBay today. It's done a few miles at 207k, has full 20 stamp Lexus history all at the same dealer, 2 cambelt changes. I've been in touch with the seller and he has assured me that everything works as it should, it says the boot struts are a bit weak, are these easy to replace? And the alloys would benefit from being refurbished. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-LEXUS-LS430-AUTO-SILVER-MOST-SERVICED-LS430-IN-THE-U-K-/381468550108?hash=item58d14c23dc:g:uf0AAOSwkZhWSevy

Is it a fair asking price for the mileage etc? I'm hoping to go and view it on Thursday afternoon, it's in Bolton which is where fish motors is who has the other one for sale I mentioned so hopefully kill 2 birds with one stone.

Below is the MOT history and the mileage is all over the place. Mike.

Registration number:
S400WBS

Mileage readings are currently only available for MOTs done from 1 August 2011.

• Vehicle make
    LEXUS

• Vehicle model
    LS430

• Date first used
    26 June 2002

• Fuel type
    Petrol

• Colour
    Silver
  • MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date
    4 July 2015

• Expiry date
    3 July 2016

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    205,410 miles

• MOT test number
    9284 1598 5102

• Test date
    7 October 2014

• Expiry date
    6 October 2015

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    332,803 miles

• MOT test number
    3787 9098 4405

• Advisory notice item(s)

Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.2.6)
    Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
    Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
    Play in steering rack inner joint(s)

• Test date
    8 July 2014

• Expiry date
    9 July 2015

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    196,446 miles

• MOT test number
    1375 1968 4136

Offside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Test date 7 July 2014
    Test Result Fail
    Odometer reading 196,400 miles
    MOT test number 6190 1808 4113
    Reason(s) for failure Nearside Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    Offside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
    Nearside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

• Test date
    10 July 2013

• Expiry date
    9 July 2014

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    182,970 miles

• MOT test number
    8692 6129 3136

• Test date
    22 August 2012

• Expiry date
    6 September 2013

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    331,431 miles

• MOT test number
    6155 4503 2210

Nearside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
    Offside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
    Rear Lower Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Lower Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

• Test date
    16 August 2012

• Test Result
    Fail

• Odometer reading
    331,429 miles

• MOT test number
    6194 6942 2283

• Reason(s) for failure

Offside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b)
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front coil spring incomplete (2.4.C.1a)
    Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)
    Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

Nearside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
    Offside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
    Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    Rear Lower Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Lower Trailing arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

• Test date
    7 June 2012

• Expiry date
    26 June 2013

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    163,664 miles

• MOT test number
    4854 4925 2133

Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
    Front brake discs appear quite worn.

• Test date
    22 August 2011

• Expiry date
    6 September 2012

• Test Result
    Pass

• Odometer reading
    326,208 miles

• MOT test number
    5895 3463 1299

Rear suspension ride height sensor link broken

I see what you mean!!! I've planned to see the car on Thursday afternoon so will challenge him about it. Could it be that the private plate has been on other cars?

this one is in rotherham - no air suspension either - might be worth a visit

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C660627

.. out of curiosity guys .....................

reading the DVLA MOT history for various cars I notice that with some of them ( including my own ! ) there can be a gap of several years from one MOT to the next .......

could this be that maybe the car was laid up / on SORN and therefore no MOT required for that period do you think ?

or maybe there's another explanation that escapes me

your thoughts please guys

Thanks

Malc

I think your observation is correct, Malc.

I recently brought a car home from my Grandparents after they moved to France 5 years ago. After re-taxing and an MOT, their former UK car now has a 5 year gap in the MOT history when viewed online. If you spot that, they you have to assume it's been sat, and use it as a bargaining chip.