Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Possible Bargain Or Not?

Hi guys,

I've been to see the car today and found it to be very impressive indeed!!!

The service history folder is immense with 20 Lexus services all at the same dealer with full printouts and 2 independent services, the most recent being in June this year.

I didn't get chance to read every detail but did spot the 2 cambelt changes, a new radiator at 199k, work on the air suspension amongst lots of other things over the years.

The car drove silently as you'd expect, I went over several speed bumps and didn't hear any noise from the suspension. How noisy should the compressor be when you first start the car? I'm not saying that it was excessively noisy but you could hear it for a few seconds, is that normal? Everything seemed to work fine except I think one or 2 front parking sensors maybe faulty and the power fold mirrors only seem to fold halfway, it also needs new boot struts. Are these cheap/ easy faults to fix? Other than that everything seems fine with the car. The toolkit is also present and looks untouched.

Now, I asked him about the inconsistencies in the MOT history, he showed me the current certificate which shows the mileages for the last few MOTs and it adds up on there, everything seems fine in the service history and he said I could ring the Lexus dealer myself if I wanted to verify the mileages of services etc. He seems to think it is mistakes on the website and assured me everything was bona fide.

I've told him I'm going to sleep on it and have a think, is it possible the website could be wrong? Is there any other checks I can do?

I really like the car, it is fantastically comfortable!!! Especially the reclining massaging rear seats, it's better than the sofa in my house lol. I suffer with a bad back but found the driving seat and position just about perfect. I'm just still a bit concerned about the MOT history...

To be sure I would go to one of the companies that do in depth searches on the car to see what the history actually is and if it differs from what they have told you you have some comeback on them, they are only about £20. Mike.

• Like 1

To be sure I would go to one of the companies that do in depth searches on the car to see what the history actually is and if it differs from what they have told you you have some comeback on them, they are only about £20. Mike.

Cheers mate!!! I was thinking of doing my own hpi check, is this the best one to go for?

Rocking baz is a nice chap, I've looked at a few he's been selling in the past and bought a 400 of him a good few years ago. Personally I wouldn't touch a car with that mileage unless it was an absolute steal, even with Lexus I'm sure everything has a shelf life.

This might bring about my LOC departure ;)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/2001-honda-legend-3.5-i-vtec-v6-automatic-luxury-saloon-mercedes-s-class-s320-s280-lexus-ls400-gs300/1140921966

And you want to give "old baz" £2500 for a starship mileage LS??!

Wonder what wrote it off when still quite a new car?

In my experience Hondas are far from second rate, and I've owned a good few, mostly Accord variants and one superb pocket rocket Civic typeR.

Always fancied a Legend, but quite a rare car to find, especially the latest model which sold in very small numbers..............typical for big jap motors in the UK I'm afraid.

My dad used to have a 1999 legend, I think he had it from new and when he sold it, the mileage was over 333000, but you couldn't tell, it always started first time and was a lovely car to drive, abit like an ls400

Scribe, I traded in a 2001 Honda Legend for my present 2000 mk4. I've not regretted it for a minute. Don't get me wrong, the Legend is a big, reliable, long lasting Jap car but not in the same league as an LS. It's front wheel drive, 6 cylinder and not as smooth to drive as an LS either. The cabin is almost a carbon copy of the LS which, incidentally, I didn't rate as cheap and plasticky as Ruud does. It's actually quite nice in my opinion. Surprisingly, the mpg is only about the same as an LS despite the engine being 500 cc smaller. The Legend is annoyingly low geared for a big car which probably accounts for the poor mpg figures. The steering is heavier too and the seats have harder leather on them but they do have great heating elements in them (better than the LS in this regard). Overall, the Legend is a poor imitation of a Lexus LS400. I'm glad I swopped when I did.

The Legend is more of a GS competitor;

but I'd rather have one than risk an air-suspended LS.

The marketing puzzle is why didn't Honda use their Acura name in the UK to overcome badge snobbery.

It worked for Toyota, who after the LS reverse marketed other Toyotas as Lexus by adding trim packages.

Having played with both in the past I have a slight preference for Honda; but both are way ahead of the rest imho.

Best of all for me is the Daihatsu Rocky (Fourtrak in the UK). Old school Toyota engineering that lasts.

Fill the sills with oil; service, & drive the things. My oldest one was 21 in April.

It had the nerve to go wrong & lose it's PAS last month.

One inch chopped off the feed hose, a quick re-route & all is well again.

What a pity there wasn't a limo version, although it is quite relaxing to drive.

I see what you mean!!! I've planned to see the car on Thursday afternoon so will challenge him about it. Could it be that the private plate has been on other cars?

this one is in rotherham - no air suspension either - might be worth a visit

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C660627

I was mildly interested in this for the g/f . phoned the guy and he promised to send me more photos of the bodywork etc ........... email today says, not done the photos, it's SOLD

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links