Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Engine Not Accelerating Smoothly At High Revs And Smoke From Ex

Mrpoisme

Hi,

I bought my car in august and have had a fault where the exhaust is producing a lot of white smoke as the engine is just about at temperature. This was originally happening every now and again but now its nearly everytime i drive it. Its not coming up with any faults on the diagnosis machine when i had it serviced a few weeks ago.

I thought it was the egr after reading the forum but have cleaned that and its just the same. The last few days its not been accelerating properly- once you get upto around 3000 rpm it stutters and sometimes wont even accelerate any further.

Any idea would be appreciated, its a 220d 2009 model.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Given the smptoms you have the EGR valve is still the favourite, loss of power and loads of white smoke when the engine is fully warmed up (EGR doesn't operate until then).

Did you actually check the operation of the solenoid valve,i.e does it move when power is applied to it?

If it doesn't only real option is replacement.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Given the smptoms you have the EGR valve is still the favourite, loss of power and loads of white smoke when the engine is fully warmed up (EGR doesn't operate until then).

Did you actually check the operation of the solenoid valve,i.e does it move when power is applied to it?

If it doesn't only real option is replacement.

Cheers for the quick reply- without sounding stupid, how do you check the solenoid valve?

Valve is inside egr once you taken egr off make sure there is no carbon left in it use egr spray or carb cleaner try pushing valve if it doesn't move then need new egr as Steve2006 said it sounds like valve is getting stuck, when u accecelate fuel is not getting through it, take it off car dismantle it and see if you can free valve by pushing it by hand there are useful videos on u tube how to do this.hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hey iv had many problems with my Lexus 220d losing power ... egr , turbo ..... was fixed after 2 months driving down M1 and engine cuts out .... long storey short Rac said engine has seized .... and its worth ******* now nothing but problems with this model