Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Tail Pipes

NEILJ

Just thought that I would upload my latest fix on my SC430 as I am sure I must not be the only one who has experienced this.

Washing the car a couple of weeks ago and noticed one of the chrome tail pipes was wobbling. On further investigation I found that the exhaust ends were completely rotten and disintigrating and the ends support the chrome tail pipes hence wobbly tail pipes.

As ever I got to work straight away and hack sawed the totally coroded retaing screws off and removed the tail pipes revealing the rotted ends which are like pipe reducers welded to the pipe ends, note the rest of the back box and pipes were in really good condition.

Next job was measure up and sketch the offending parts and then search eBay for two reducers and hey there they were under exhaust pipe reducers.

Every Exhaust Part Ltd.

Unit 5A and 5B, Widney House

Bromsgrove Road

Redditch

Worcestershire

B97 4SP

76.3 mm to 50.8 mm Mild Steel Standard Exhaust Reducer Connector Pipe Tube

eBay item number: 351386366008

I was tempted to buy the stainless ones but thought it might create a problem with welding disimilar steels ie stainless to mild steel so stuck with the mild steel.

There was one small hiccup like UK mail lost the package but Kirk dispatched a second pair without question which I got the following day by royal mail.

I booked into my local garage to have the job done and Richard and Matt at the garage had a look and the first job was to cut off the rotten ends which they did with a nifty little tool an exhaust cutter which was a chain whith small cutting discs in the links, you wrap it around the pipe and clamp the chain and wind it around the pipe and in a few secconds the rotten tails were off.

We then tried my reducers and they were size on size with the back box pipes where as I thought they might have slipped over to be welded. A bit of a set back so I took the car home and bought some exhaust tubing locally (£16 for 2 meteres) and made sleeves to fit inside and align the exhaust pipes with the new reducers. I had carefully measured everything before starting the job and measured and noted the distance from the tail pipe fixing bracket and the end of the rotten reducers.

Therfore I cut down the new reducers to give me the same dimension and made the sleeves by cutting a 75mm long peice of pipe for each however I had to slit them for half the sleeve length to comfortably fit inside the back box pipes.

All this done I dry fiited it all together and everything was aligned. Drove back down to the garage and Matt welded in the sleeves and welded the assembly onto each back box pipe he also ground off the siezed and rusted fixing screws and welded new studs into the bracket.

All done and the job looked great all i needed was to get the car home and prep and paint the new metal and back box which I did with Hammerite smooth.

See Below a few pictures of the work, hope the write up is of some help to anyone experiencing the same.

Neilj

post-49056-0-34530700-1447869357_thumb.j

post-49056-0-34306300-1447869485_thumb.j

post-49056-0-24596900-1447869631_thumb.j

post-49056-0-78579200-1447869703_thumb.j

post-49056-0-15597200-1447869852_thumb.j

post-49056-0-42377900-1447869907_thumb.j

post-49056-0-92627500-1447870022_thumb.j

Thank you for the reply.

I have just read my post again and spotted my mistakes so apologies but hope it gets the points over.

Really pleased with the end result and it worked out to be a relatively cheap fix.

six out of ten must do better.

neilj

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links