Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Key Shell Using Existing Blade

Bought my 2005 RX300 SE a couple of weeks ago and just thought it was me being ham-fisted when I turned the key to start and the plastic fob broke off with the key blade still in the lock Fortunately I managed to get it out without too much hassle since I had my tools handy, but I imagine it must be nigh on impossible without having pliers or anything similar to hand! So it might be a good idea to keep some pliers in the car in case this happens to you!

Anyway, having searched these forums and eBay it is obviously a very common problem (shame on Lexus to skimp on something this and then not admit it was poorly designed and then not providing a reasonably priced solution after all these years)

Almost equally annoying, most of the aftermarket replacements come with uncut key blades (which can cause other issues not to mention additional cost) when all that's really needed for most it appears is a replacement plastic shell case.

I nearly ordered one of these type, but luckily I came across the following on eBay so I've just ordered 2 ( in case the other one breaks in the future - and at this price it's daft not to) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOB-REMOTE-3-BUTTON-KEY-SHELL-CASES-FOR-LEXUS-GX470-IS300-RX300-GS300-RX330-/231743859089?hash=item35f502a991:g:U6MAAOSwgNRV7okk - I believe these links expire on eBay after 30days (?) but am sure these will become more popular in due course.

I'll report back once they arrive as to suitability and quality, although it will be a while since delivery is about 2-3 weeks (supposed to be UK based but obviously drop-shipped from China in reality) but as its not urgent it should be worth the wait....hopefully.

Meanwhile hope this may help anybody else in the meantime if it happens to them.

Looking at the link, it would seem to include the blade?

I think mine is the same, and the blade is attached to the casing, therefore requiring cutting, having transferred the guts across.

I think mine is the same, and the blade is attached to the casing, therefore requiring cutting, having transferred the guts across.

Yes, but if you read the description you can use your existing blade, but it does also come with a blank blade as well if you need it.

Yes, but if you read the description you can use your existing blade, but it does also come with a blank blade as well if you need it.

I've read it again, and can't see that Tony.

Which bit makes you think you can use your existing blade?

It's not smart key it's normal key u have to transfer inside bits and get blade cut you can only transfer blade if it's smart key as I done that on my is220d bought key from lexus got it programmed from lexus use old blade but it did come with blank blade lexus wanted silly money to cut it so left it blank I read it too can't see any where it says u can transfer blade over

• Like 1

You will also find that locksmiths will not want to cut the "internet" keys as they call them (keys ordered from internet) citing various reasons, one among them being that metal is too soft and they can't provide guarantee (not sure how much of that is true). But they are usually happy to order the shell+blade from their suppliers and cut it. I paid £20 for the parts including cutting - pretty reasonable.

Furthermore a lot of the ones off the bay are of poor quality except your lucky to find a seller who has some decent ones,some locksmiths do stock blanks of reasonable quality and will also cut them for about £20-25 all in.

The key for my RX300 cracked so I bought one of the cheap key cases from the bay with the blank blade, and just used the back only to strengthen the original. That didn't last long. A bit more searching and I found this guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-TOYOTA-2-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-CASE-SNAPPED-BROKEN-CUT-TO-CODE-PHOTOGRAPH-/262128351566?hash=item3d0811394e

I was sceptical, but I took a photo of the original key for cutting (unless you have the code, but send both) and sent it to him, and the cut key that came back in only a couple of days, and was of very good quality, and it worked first time in the ignition. Just had to transfer over the button capsule, and it has shown no signs of deteriation in 9 months, and for only £15 delivered from the UK, you don't have much to lose. I have no links with this guy except as a satisfied customer, but I would endorse his description of his product.

• Like 1

I don't think so, just as shown in the eBay picture. There is no rubber on my key, just the black buttons on the transferable remote unit, Email him, he was very quick to reply to my questions

Sorry for the delay in replying but LOC stuff gas been going into my junk mail folder so only just saw it.

The bit that I was referring to is where it says "alternatively take the blank blade to have it cut" ( haven't copied that exactly but words to that effect) which infers that you only need to cut the supplied blade if required and therefore are able to use your existing blade.

Of course that may be a misunderstanding on my part due to the sellers translation. If so then clearly no different o all the other vendors of that type of product. I'll know once it arrives of course and if so then at least I've only wasted a couple of quid and I'll try one of the alternatives suggested above.

The confusion is the use of the word 'alternatively'. I'm sure this is just a translation issue and should say 'and then'.

The blade has to be fixed to one of the shells otherwise it would fall out. You may be able to cut out the old and new blades and glue your old one into the new shell but I'm not sure how long that would last.

Sorry for the delay in replying but LOC stuff gas been going into my junk mail folder so only just saw it.

The bit that I was referring to is where it says "alternatively take the blank blade to have it cut" ( haven't copied that exactly but words to that effect) which infers that you only need to cut the supplied blade if required and therefore are able to use your existing blade.

Of course that may be a misunderstanding on my part due to the sellers translation. If so then clearly no different o all the other vendors of that type of product. I'll know once it arrives of course and if so then at least I've only wasted a couple of quid and I'll try one of the alternatives suggested above.

Well, you never know your luck, but I think you're right about something getting lost in translation.

When I got my car, one casing was a bit the worse for wear, so got a new shell off eBay, transferred the innards, and got the blade cut at a proper locksmiths.

Still working fine three years on.

Only a few days ago, while looking for a list of accessories on the Lexus UK website, I came across a link to their official accessories and merchandise eBay site. I remember seeing on there that they sell key shells for just under £13.00, and by the looks of things, you just need to transfer the "contents" of the original key from the old into the new shell.

From www.lexus.co.uk, go to the very bottom and select Parts & Accessories (under the owners section)

Scroll down and select "Visit Our eBay Store"

Under "Categories", select "Interior Accessories"

You will find what looks like a complete key replacement for £56.64, but also a replacement transmitter cover for £12.96. This latter one seems to be the just the black cover and may be all you need. A least you will be sure that it fits and is a genuine part.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The key for my RX300 cracked so I bought one of the cheap key cases from the bay with the blank blade, and just used the back only to strengthen the original. That didn't last long. A bit more searching and I found this guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-TOYOTA-2-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-CASE-SNAPPED-BROKEN-CUT-TO-CODE-PHOTOGRAPH-/262128351566?hash=item3d0811394e

I was sceptical, but I took a photo of the original key for cutting (unless you have the code, but send both) and sent it to him, and the cut key that came back in only a couple of days, and was of very good quality, and it worked first time in the ignition. Just had to transfer over the button capsule, and it has shown no signs of deteriation in 9 months, and for only £15 delivered from the UK, you don't have much to lose. I have no links with this guy except as a satisfied customer, but I would endorse his description of his product.

Following on from original posting I finally got the cheap key blade and shell which wasn't as described as I couldn't use the original key blade as I expected so contacted the Chinese vendor and got a refund on eBay.

I then decided to opt for the above service and have been absolutely delighted with both product and service from this seller.

I was even supplied with the keycode which I didn't previously have and just used photos of the blade as required.

After telling the seller how pleased I was, he explained why the cheap versions which only offered blank blades were so unsuitable and told me that he had once tried to cut one of these cheap blades using his tungsten carbide cutter and it had broken it.

The blades which he cuts are made by Silca which as most people know are a leading key manufacturer and the quality is obvious when you see it, so I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this chap wholeheartedly. It costs under £15 including signed for delivery which is a very good price so don't waste money on any other cheap offerings.

End of thread I think!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
10 hours ago, PCM said:

If it's from a 'main dealer' get them to do it.

They will most probably charge more for that and it's not near me the dealership 

• 7 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, b4u2 said:

They will most probably charge more for that and it's not near me the dealership 

Lexus Edgware just quoted me £502 for 2009 RX 450h and they were reluctant to even talk about selling me a 'blank' one.