Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In another thread, Spacewagon52 says 'Personally, I like the LS 460 but members on here say they are not as good as the 400'.

As far as I know, there is only one member on the forum who has ACTUALLY OWNED a 460 and thought it inferior to the 400. I had a Mk3 for 15 years before changing to the 460 so I thought I would give you my observations on owning both.

My Mk3 was RHD but, in 2012, we decided to move to Holland. Getting the Mk3 registered here would have been crazily expensive so we disposed of it and looked around for another car. We had a 2009 RX 400h for a few months but, as my wife said, 'It's not an LS' .....so we went back to the garage and swapped it for a 2007 LS 460. The 460 had 60,000 kms (40,000 miles) on the clock and had been used first, as the garage demonstrator then, as the personal transport of the franchise managing director. As you can imagine, it was immaculate.

Like the 400, the 460 is the main car in the family........used to go to the shops, pick up cement at the builder's merchants, and to enjoy on long trips.

People sometimes ask if I find the 460 superior to the 400. I don't consider that a valid question........ALL LS models are superior automobiles. Do I think the 460 is an improvement on the 400? My answer to that is 'Yes, in nearly all aspects'.

Things I really like:

The automatic parking brake

The 'Brake Hold' facility.

The heated AND cooled seats

The 'looking round corners' headlights

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

8-speed auto gearbox

Lots of electronic toys

Lack of timing belt - it has a timing chain. Although there is no servicing time, I do realise that it will have to be checked eventually. On the US forum, there are 460s with 300k on the clock and no timing chain problems.

Things I miss:

The 'secret' storage box under the driver's seat

The cassette player (I'm an old sod)

My 460 is noisier than the 400 - but there is a reason for it. When I bought it, it had the optional 19" tyres fitted. I've been in one with the standard 18" wheels and, in my opinion, it was as quiet as my 400. I'm, actively, trying to source a set of 18"wheels and tyres.

There is much talk about 'all those electronics - they're bound to go wrong'. Well. back in '97, when I bought the Mk3, I was amazed at all the electronics and thought 'they're bound to go wrong'. :)

In 15 years, the only problem I had in that department, was the lighting behind the radio.

Let's face it......things have moved on from the days of semaphore arms which, if you remember, hardly ever worked! I was in a 2014 Ford Focus the other day and was amazed at the amount of electronics which are fitted as standard.

I've been commuting between Holland and Scotland for 3 months (selling our Scottish house) and this week I came back with the car because it needed its Dutch MOT (at 90,000 kms - 60,000 miles) This is the 'Big' service and includes changing the plugs. Because of the problems reported on the US forum (upper and lower control arms, air suspension) I asked the garage to pay particular attention to these and let me know. They found nothing untoward.....what they did find was worn wiper blades and low Battery voltage. Since the Battery was only 2 years old (and supplied by Lexus), they replaced it under warranty.

Like most responsible car owners, I check the oil and water every week. Now, this amazes me.......since the last service, a year ago, the only fluids I have had to top-up are the fuel and windscreen wash. The engine and hydraulic oils have remained absolutely steady, as has the radiator water. I check the tyre pressures on the TPMS and they have remained at 2.6 bar (cold) all year.

This is a VERY easy car to own and monitor.

In an ideal world, I would have bought the 460 for 'everyday' and kept the 400 for nostalgia :)

Prices for the 460 are falling and are (or soon will be) in the affordable range. For what it's worth, I thoroughly recommend it.

And.....for those of you still awake......thanks for sticking with me :)

• Like 5

Many hanks, I am pleased - as LS 400's in very good condition are getting hard to find. I do intend to keep mine as long as possible but like someone else said on here, you never know with accidents. I really like the look of the 460, it will be very interesting to see how they "age" when well over 10 years old - keep us posted!

you dont half blether on ...... lol

nice post and agree with you on all aspect except wheel/tyre size regarding noise... i ran orginal 16s and aftermarket 18s on my 400 and running orginal 19s on 600 and find 600 is quieter now this maybe down to my tyre choice or more likely double glazing

Hi Graham,

I think the point about tyre noise is that 19'' wheels are the originals on the 600 (ie as designed by Lexus). On the 460, the originals were 18'' but the previous owner of my machine decided to 'up' that to 19'.

It's not the size that matters (where have I heard that before) but the deviation from the original Lexus design.

BTW, on the US forum, they have guys running 460s on 22" rims........how do they turn the wheel?

... really interested in your post, thank you. One day I guess I shall be changing to a Ls460 ......... or maybe a Ls600 ....... the prices do seem to be in a bit of a freefall but then again ALL used cars are worth just about bugger all ( compared to brand new ) after a very few years .... it's just a question of finding a car ( Ls ) that's affordable at the time that my Mk3 " gives up " ( will it ever ?? )

Malc

Stuart,

On the US 460 forum there is info about a coilover conversion.

Talking about the US forum, these guys seem to get a lot more problems with their cars than we do.......I wonder if, because their cars are made in the US Lexus plant, there is a 'different' build quality at play. The Lexus Technician who did my 60,000 mile check seemed a bit surprised when I asked him to do the extra checks on the suspension. He told me that he hadn't encountered these problems at all - admittedly, there aren't many 460s here.

Malcolm,

Like you, I loved my Mk3 and I hope you get many more years out of her. As you know, your enemies are other drivers........anything more than a slight dink is going to make the repair un-economical :(

..... Brian, yes, sadly I know............. my 1994 Mk2 was vandalised in 2011 and with even just 40k miles from new it was a write-off as the insurers insisted on OEM Lexus parts only and even the wiper blade mechanisms ( which were damaged ) were then about £1000 !

The total repair bill would have been @£5k+ and the car cost me £3750 in Dec 2007 and with then only 8542 miles ........................

Then I bought my Mk3 off a chap on here, ACLex, the Lexus Poole Dorset parts manager, and made a £500 turn on the insurance monies write-off compared to my new purchase.

So all ended well really I guess.

Malc

Thxs Brian. I must be losing it. I didn't bother searching because I was sure that only a few months ago a member from IRL had wanted coilovers for his 460 & none were found .... I thought. Oh dear :( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BC-RACING-BR-SERIES-COILOVERS-TYPE-RS-LEXUS-LS460-USF40-07-/141443439159?hash=item20eeaf9a37:g:iAoAAOSw1x1URAMc

Very interesting post, Brian - thanks. Those of us who can only afford to run old cars are naturally very chuffed about how reliable and cheap to run our 400s are, and we sometimes get suspicious of 'modern' technology. So it's good to hear that things don't necessarily go wrong with it. This is reassuring for those of us who might think about one day bypassing the 430 and going straight to a 460. Trouble is, I don't think it would fit in my garage...

I suppose we could counteract a possible accident by just sitting in the LS 400 on the drive?

Knowing my luck a Top Gear piano would fall on it!

What's needed is an Lexus LS Simulator to fake that glorious refined vvt V-8 wail, and thrust in the back; the latter being the tricky bit.

Stamping on the pedal in the driveway just isn't the same :(

Though with a simulator the road roar (my pet hate) could be tuned out.

More LS problems reported on U.S. forums (Tulpen's post), could be down to the fact that many States do not have any official mechanical/safety checks like our annual M.O.T. I once rode in a van in California that was 15 years old and only ever had its emissions tested. Mechanically it could have been a death trap.

Talking about our 'glorious V8 engines'..........

When my car was in for servicing, they gave me a CT 200h to run around in. Not a bad car, definitely a Lexus and with lots of goodies. Compared to the LS, though, it was pretty gutless and the throttle needed to be pressed on to get any performance.

When I got my LS back, I just breathed on the accelerator and let the V8 do its thing.

I was 'home' :)

• Like 1

Just to clarify a point made by Brian ( Tulpen) There are no manufacturing plants in the USA for Lexus models .There is a manufacturing/ assembly plant in Ontario Canada (Cambridge) which is exclusive to the RX model sport utility vehicle (SUV) North American parlance.

All other Lexus models are built in Japan at four manufacturing locations.

The LS models are all built at the Tahara plant alongside several other Lexus models including the RX. The Cambridge plant is solely providing vehicles for the North American market.

Bought my own LS460 5 weeks ago. Same Lexus Dealer maintained from new, one owner with 61K, Sienna Red with the beige interior. Cost £14K and the dealer did the 60K service, put 3 new tyres on it and front and rear discs with new pads at their expense before I bought the car. New 12 month MOT.

I had observed a number of issues with the car but the dealer in fairness said "we can't spend any more on the car as the profit margin was on the floor". I knew the car was a good one for the age (2007) and mileage so I bought it. At this price with 12 months Lexus warranty they are like hen's teeth to find. I took a service plan out at £37 a month for the next 3 annual services and the next 3 MOT's. I will be purchasing another 2 years Lexus extended warranty next month which I think is good value at £1695 before the offer runs out at year end. The 2 year extension will run from the expiry of the 12 month warranty the dealer gave me.

I have posted a number of specific posts relating to the car, mainly what I consider improvements or aesthetic changes and just wish I had bought one several years ago. I knew of the reputation of Lexus having spent all my working life in the Motor Trade but never experienced any of the cars until now.

I drew up my to do list on my car as I have done with the previous 3 Jaguars and before that the 3 Bentleys I owned. This Lexus however knocks all of those cars into a cocked hat because of what I have discovered in 5 weeks during my own mini restoration. The smallest design details have impressed me during the dismantling of various parts/fittings and I have 5 items left to do on a list that started with 31 areas I wanted to sort out. This was not 31 defects but 31 things that I could improve. Things like front and rear bumpers, plastic sill panels removed, stripped down to the absolute degree and re painted. Wheels refurbished, new exhaust trims in the rear bumper replaced, mud flaps, fitting special jacking plates to the sill flanges to aid wheel removal at home or on the road. There was no mechanical or electrical car issues, it's all just about how the car looks.

Prior to buying the car I noticed a localised paint job on the front near side corner of the bumper. It was poorly painted and the black rubber rings around the parking sensors were now red due to the fact the bumper was left on the car and the sensors were left in place. I knew the bumper was coming off eventually due to the stone chips I needed to resolve and after 3 weeks I removed the bumper. I had noticed the off side headlamp was misaligned slightly and as an ex body shop man I knew there was more to this and true enough once the bumper was off I could see a piece of the headlamp case was missing where one of the 3 bolts would normally hold it in place to the body work. There was no damage to the inner panels at all and I quickly worked out the car had taken a light impact to the side of the bumper just under the side of the headlamp. At £800 who was going to buy a new headlamp? not the owner who I'm guessing hadn't made an insurance claim. So the monkey who worked on the car used a number of none Lexus fittings including a horrible product called "Dum Dum", a black rubberised flexible gap sealer to try and secure the headlamp. I bought the proper Lexus fittings etc and repaired the headlamp case successfully.

I didn't go running back to the dealer shouting the odds, I spent £4 on the right parts and it took me an hour to repair the headlamp case and now it's repaired correctly. This to me is car ownership and I enjoy putting stuff right or back to how it once looked. The car is eight and a half years old and the previous owner was not a car man or was sufficiently interested in his own car to care for it, nothing unusual there I guess.

In summary: A Truly Great Car with brilliant engineering too .

• Like 3

... sounds a brilliant result for you ......... at 61k miles its an almost new car I guess and someone else has suffered that initial £60k depreciation ............. hey, a £1 a mile eh !

Any pictures please ?

Thanks

Malc