Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On 19/12/2015 at 9:11 PM, soundchaser100 said:

Just seen this. On 3rd December I received a letter from DVLA to inform me that the Direct Debit for my Tax had not been taken out and so, my car was not taxed. The Road Tax should have been taken out on 1st of October ! So I had been driving around for 2 months, blissfully unaware that my car was not taxed. The letter blamed the oversight on "a system failure" and advised me to tax my car ASAP which I did. They did at least apologise for the error, but , when I phoned the automated system to tax my car, I was warned that as I had let the tax run out, I might be liable for prosecution. What a cheek! I hadn't noticed that the Direct Debit had not been taken out, but it took DVLA 2 months to spot the error. I assume it hadn't flagged up on the system, otherwise I could have had Plod pulling me over.

As the OP suggests, don't rely on DVLA getting it right all the time.

Paul

Had you of made the mistake they would have got some money out of you by way of a penalty. One rule for them another one for us.  Mike

• 7 months later...

OK so i've joined the plastic Licence holders after the fiasco of this thread was eventually sorted.

But.what the blood and thunder is this all about when I check to see that my Licence covers a motorcycle???

• Description

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

No further explanation seen on DVLA site.  Whatever happened to Cubic capacities??

26 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

OK so i've joined the plastic Licence holders after the fiasco of this thread was eventually sorted.

But.what the blood and thunder is this all about when I check to see that my Licence covers a motorcycle???

• Description

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

No further explanation seen on DVLA site.  Whatever happened to Cubic capacities??

I think we used to be in this thing called the EU, and everything went metric!!!!

35Kw is 50HP.

I assume capacity is not the measure, as fitting a supercharger to a moped would make that 50cc beast a lot of horsepower (or kw if you like).

This must mean that the LS400 is a 200Kw motor, but the romance of 200 electric fires is not the same as 300 healthy four legged mustangs under the bonnet.

• Like 1

As my Aunt used to say "clear as mud" . Also checking DVLA I can't find the road fund license rates for Motorcycles but I'm sure it is according to CC's rather than emissions or nuclear Kw's.

My 1971 Yamaha 200 Twin is exempt, but nevertheless in the unlikely (very unlikely) event I were to buy another Honda 750FJ  I am curious to know what the current is.  Not sure if Bikes get a Tax disc still. Pretty sure the DVLA site says they do, and yet other online threads say they don't.

Maybe I'm suffering from dyslexia. (add to the list)

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd chip in just for giggle.

My friend moved house and when his plastic licence came back he had received the entitlement to drive a 44 ton articulated truck. He didn't report it and still has that entitlement.

Bod

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links