Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OK off direct Car topic.

I had a bizarre day yesterday.

My youngest Son who has mental health issues, needed my help to move Flats. Got up early and merrily scraped the frost from my Car Windscreen having pre-arranged to Hire a Transit van from a firm I hired from, four years ago. To my dismay, having brought along my Driving Licence (Paper variety), a Utility Bill and my National Insurance number I was told I could not be traced on DVLA's Driving Licence Register. Phoned through to DVLA to be told that I had surrendered my Licence in 2003! No I didn't I have it in my hand complete with Watermark! Invoking the Data Protection Act they would give no other information but suggested I fill out a D1 Application for a Driving Licence.
So according to their records, technically I could be arrested if I drove my Car home and have been uninsured for twelve years!.
I'm grounded until DVLA find their mistake. Unlikely to be quick.
I have witten to them and NOT filled out a D1 form as I don't want them taking the short cut route of suggesting I need to take a Driving Test etc, etc..
I've had a clean FULL (a) (d) & (e) driving licence for fifty years and it expires next year..
Absolutely unbelievable, not to mention extremely inconvenient.

MY ADVICE TO ALL WOULD BE TO GO ONLINE TO DVLA AND CHECK YOUR LICENCE IS CORRECTLY RECORDED.

• Like 2

Well if rules were applied to them (DVLA) as they do for us when we make innocent mistakes you should be able to give them a fixed penalty charge. Mike.

PS checked mine all OK. Didnt even know you could do that.

That is typical of government departments ,they are making serious mistakes and nobody is ever held responsible. The recent report on the Hbos debacle strongly censures the FSA for its lax supervision of same .The writing was on the wall for the ministers before the report so they disbanded the FSA so no one could be held accountable.

I lost £5k when a company registered with the then FSA went belly up owing £26M to its customers who had placed monies with them for currency exchange,subsequent investigation proved a massive fraud had taken place and most of the directors went to jail the MD topped himself day before the guilty verdicts were announced.Then on government decree administrators spent £1.5M of the £2M left in the accounts (our money) to find out what had been going on .

The FSA says they were not responsible nor was the companie's bank but the customers funds were not ring fenced but open to the directors wants and whims.

As you get further up these departments it is easy to see why the British Public despise them.

• Like 1

That is typical of government departments ,they are making serious mistakes and nobody is ever held responsible. The recent report on the Hbos debacle strongly censures the FSA for its lax supervision of same .The writing was on the wall for the ministers before the report so they disbanded the FSA so no one could be held accountable.

I lost £5k when a company registered with the then FSA went belly up owing £26M to its customers who had placed monies with them for currency exchange,subsequent investigation proved a massive fraud had taken place and most of the directors went to jail the MD topped himself day before the guilty verdicts were announced.Then on government decree administrators spent £1.5M of the £2M left in the accounts (our money) to find out what had been going on .

The FSA says they were not responsible nor was the companie's bank but the customers funds were not ring fenced but open to the directors wants and whims.

As you get further up these departments it is easy to see why the British Public despise them.

I have been in a similar situation myself on two occasions with companies that I owned so know what you went through. There is just no justice for the small man or small business. Mike.

As a small business owner I renewed a Consumer Credit Licence for thirty years each five years the final being despite knowing the CCA Licencing was to be abandoned one year later for the Financial Conduct Authorities introduction. After complaints to my MP I did get a refund for the four unnecessary years paid and had to make an application to the FCA for interim permission.

Thankfully, I have been able to successfully argue that I do not need a Licence from the FCA and so no Application needed to be made. Had it been necessary I would have closed the business as the monumental nature of this legislations requirements to comply would make running a small business an absolute nightmare.

The real culprits in business will invariably either not apply for a Licence or not be spotted and inevitably avoid prosecution where wrongdoing is discovered.

The Data Protection Act was IMO a Sledgehammer to crack a Nut and where the decline of our Country started.

The legislation grows apace despite as I recall David Cameron saying "we are going to cut red tape from small businesses". With the Belgium legislative Beaurocracy machine in full throttle the opposite has taken place.

Jacques makes a very valid point about 'privileges'. It can catch you out if you want to rent a motor home. The difference between a 5000kg and a 3500kg vehicle can really cramp your style.

Incidentally, last year I rented a motor home in the States. It was 32' long and weighed 9000kg........and all on a standard UK licence!!!!!

Jacques makes a very valid point about 'privileges'. It can catch you out if you want to rent a motor home. The difference between a 5000kg and a 3500kg vehicle can really cramp your style.

Incidentally, last year I rented a motor home in the States. It was 32' long and weighed 9000kg........and all on a standard UK licence!!!!!

You lucky devil, I have tried to get my wife to do that for years but she wont. Mike.

Mike,

It was a trip of a lifetime. We started in San Francisco and finished in Miami..........it took us 6 months :)

Being retired........and having no kids or 'previous', is just great.

• Like 1

I think this has been mentioned before but Driving Licences also have to renewed every 10 years and IIRC the DVLA do not send you a reminder when this is due.

Having paid my £5.00 for my "lifetime" driving licence up to 70 in 1977 it annoys me that the government then move the goalposts when photo licences were forced into play by the EU (or so I was told).

I think this has been mentioned before but Driving Licences also have to renewed every 10 years and IIRC the DVLA do not send you a reminder when this is due.

Having paid my £5.00 for my "lifetime" driving licence up to 70 in 1977 it annoys me that the government then move the goalposts when photo licences were forced into play by the EU (or so I was told).

I still have my old paper licence and as I am 70 in a couple of years time I will keep ii until then if I can. Mike.

Your thread put me in a blue funk until I read this on money saving expert

"If you have a paper licence that was issues pre-1998, these

generally don't expire until you're 70, so you don't need to do

anything until then unless your address or personal details change. All

licences must be in the photocard format by 2033.

Once you reach 70 there's no fee to renew, and you'll then get a photocard"

Unquote.

My paper Licence was issued well before 1998 on change of address and should be listed as valid. The only curious possible coincidence and pure conjecture on my part as to DVLA's error, is that I believe my Mother may in 2003/2004 have surrendered her Licence by Order of the Court owing to a minor incident and Police advice. At 84 I was quite understanding that her driving days were over. Now I can empathise with the trauma it caused her and was partly I'm sure responsible for her gradual decline into dementia. She loved to drive and hated the idea of being without her Car.

We become dependant and sometimes more so, as we age.

How would Members cope with not being able to drive I ask?

Your thread put me in a blue funk until I read this on money saving expert

"If you have a paper licence that was issues pre-1998, these

generally don't expire until you're 70, so you don't need to do

anything until then unless your address or personal details change. All

licences must be in the photocard format by 2033.

Once you reach 70 there's no fee to renew, and you'll then get a photocard"

Unquote.

My paper Licence was issued well before 1998 on change of address and should be listed as valid. The only curious possible coincidence and pure conjecture on my part as to DVLA's error, is that I believe my Mother may in 2003/2004 have surrendered her Licence by Order of the Court owing to a minor incident and Police advice. At 84 I was quite understanding that her driving days were over. Now I can empathise with the trauma it caused her and was partly I'm sure responsible for her gradual decline into dementia. She loved to drive and hated the idea of being without her Car.

We become dependant and sometimes more so, as we age.

How would Members cope with not being able to drive I ask?

I am sorry to hear the sad story of your mother. I have to admit I don't know what I would do if I had to give up my license. Mike.

• Like 1

Due to my recovery period, I could not drive for 6 weeks. I thought it would be a nighmare but I did get used to it. But that was probably because I knew I would be back driving again. I think it can depand on where you live. My mother-in-law lives in the country with no bus service. If she could not drive I think she would be forced to move, as she quickly gets cabin fever if she is in for more than a day. I have noticed there are a lot more electric bikes around ..... wonder how long it will be before they have to be taxed and insured!

Due to my recovery period, I could not drive for 6 weeks. I thought it would be a nighmare but I did get used to it. But that was probably because I knew I would be back driving again. I think it can depand on where you live. My mother-in-law lives in the country with no bus service. If she could not drive I think she would be forced to move, as she quickly gets cabin fever if she is in for more than a day. I have noticed there are a lot more electric bikes around ..... wonder how long it will be before they have to be taxed and insured!

I am the same as I live in the middle of nowhere but my wife is 11 years younger than me and I have my son and his family live next door but its just the loss of independence, over the years my disability has got worse and worse and the loss of the license would be............. well I don't want to think of that yet. I have often wondered on the little electric bikes, I am surprised they don't have some form of insurance on them as some of them c an get quite a lick on, enough to do you some damage if you were to end up with one ploughing into you. Anyway that's for another day to worry about. Mike.

..... if I couldn't drive anymore I would be at a total loss ................ it's just incredulous to think that one day I might not be able to .................... but then I do have an aged aunt of 94 who still bounces around on London buses with her bus pass .................. so I guess that's an option maybe ........ heaven forbid that the time should arrive eh !

Malc

• Like 2

i lost my bike license thru dvla when it went from paper to photo card license because of a clerical error , took them 2yrs to get it sorted (stilll used my bike as it was near brand new and wasnt going to park it up till it was alll sorted .... ma bad lol

• Like 3

Thanks heavens for this posting, made me look up my license, and it expires next Oct.

Hopefully I'll have no horror stories on this post, but like 99% of drivers being without a license would be a real brake on living life. if I had to catch the bus to work (11 miles) it would take 3 buses and 2.5 hours (as opposed to 25 minute drive).

Watchdog did an item on DVLA's incompetence back in 2009 I see on google. The guy I spoke to yesterday (my first class Post "signed for" letter sent the day before HAD NOT ARRIVED OR BEEN SIGNED FOR! ) said that they get 10,000 letters a day. Think perhaps I should have sent it WITHOUT being signed for, as I can't imagine an employee of DVLA signing for perhaps hundreds or maybe thousands of letters on the PO Hand recorder.

I'll send it again today without "signed for" and keep phoning them, at cost rates.

The Flat removal of my Son has cost me £250 against £60.00 Hire cost of a Van. Just had to pay up.

I'm hoping for a car that drives itself when I'm too doddery to drive!

<lights blue touch paper

This may be a real life saver in the future for people who for medical reasons or other are unable to drive. BUT ........ for people on this forum, I feel, driving is a bit more than just getting from A to B and having independent transport..

• Like 2