Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can A 2002 Is200 Be Diagnosed By Computer?

LBrown337

Newbie and Know Nothingbie......any help greatly appreciated.

My check engine light has appeared for the very first time since I owned the car (6 years and 40,000 miles) so I'm unsure if I need to take it to an official dealer or a regular mechanic to diagnose the fault.

The car appears to run ok for the very journey I did to get it home.

Always fix the problem before clearing codes, or at least have the intention of carrying out the work at a later date

I agree. But in my case after a good old Google it was just the sensor on the cat. When it comes round to the MOT i'll have a new one on there for a nice pass until then i'm happy with the cat melting its insides away. Saves me the hassle of removing it completely.

• Like 1

Always fix the problem before clearing codes, or at least have the intention of carrying out the work at a later date

I agree. But in my case after a good old Google it was just the sensor on the cat. When it comes round to the MOT i'll have a new one on there for a nice pass until then i'm happy with the cat melting its insides away. Saves me the hassle of removing it completely.

Many thanks for the replies - I'm guessing the answer to my question is yes. I didn't make it perfectly clear that I was unaware if my 2002 IS200 SE is too old to have a point for the diagnostic computer to be plugged into.

The OBDII port is located just right of the steering wheel above the peddles.

You should feel the port with cover on/off right infront of your knee basically.

It's not too old at all. But it will cost you £100 per read from most places so grab a cheap £10 reader to save yourself money and the hassle.

Google is your best friend.