Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Shock Absorbers For 2006 Gs50H - What Options?

glawrie

Hi

I've got a 2006 GS450h SE that's done about 100K. Got an advisory on one of the front shocks leaking. Lexus want £500 to put in a new one - but that'll be just the one shock and elsewhere here advice is to replace shocks in pairs - so £1000 for the front pair.

I've tried to find alternative suppliers for the parts (which list at £315 from Lexus direct) - but seems very hard to find anyone in UK that supplies OEM or equivalent parts. There are several in the USA that offer apparently similar parts for much less (e.g. here), but model differences mean there was no GS450h offered in USA in 2006, so that part is for 2007 US spec GS450h SE.

Alternatively, I've found a breaker in UK that offers pair from 2006 Lexus SE for £60.

I'm sure I'm not first person to want to replace shocks on this car, but little about options in the forum threads.

Anyone got any guidance on whether the 48520-80176 part would fit my GS450h SE, and / or knowledge of best options for sourcing replacement shock for the car in the UK?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give!

In US usually the model year in cars is the next one, so a MY 2007 GS is sold in 2006 ;-)

To be sure that replacement fits on your car, you have to ask if it is for your GS with VIN number .

• Like 1

Hi

I tried that, but the US parts supplier wrote back saying that they were unable to look up part numbers for vehicles with 'European VINs' - not sure what that means, but is there some other way to find out if a part will fit?

Thx.

G.

An alternative could be to look on KYB's website as i 'think' they are made by them? Get the part number for yours, then see what other models that part number corresponds to.

I'm in a similar boat, I want to remove my coilovers and put the standard ones back on my 2005 mk3 gs300 se-l but both rears are leaking. I am dropping them off at a well know suspension manufacturer tomorrow as they seem to think they can repair the seals for me at a fraction of the cost of replacing..... Watch this space!

I actually tried KYB first - but didn't find anything. Doesn't mean there is nothing to find, just maybe I'm not so good at looking.

However - I did find this site - http://www.japan-parts.eu/ - which allows VIN lookup for Lexus, and then gives diagrams of subsystems from which you can get part numbers. So I got the numbers for my front suspension, and then looked these numbers up on a US parts supplier - http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/ - and found them. According to the http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/ site the parts have been succeeded by new parts, but either way they can supply the old or the updated parts. The two replacement parts (excluding shipping / import duties) will cost in total a shade under $400 (i.e. £260 or so) - which is astonishing compared to the Lexus 'standard UK' price of £311 each. Even allowing for costly shipping and duties, looks like the US route is massively cheaper than buying same parts in UK.

However, if it is possible to get existing shocks refurbished, that would be even better value solution I think. So do post results of your trip to suspension shop tomorrow - will be very interested to hear how you get on.

Nice one on finding the information, i think Eurocarparts list the shocks at £263 (for the rears, not sure on fronts).

I'm dropping them off tomorrow but the technician is not in until Monday, he said it shouldn't be a problem so long as his test dyno can fit them ok. Although there are many varieties, at the end of the day a shock is a shock! I will keep you posted :). As my GS is currently up for sale with the coilovers, if it sells with them on I can always sell you my front shocks!

John / FozzyF - thanks for the extra info. I imagine you are right about parts of various types all being sufficiently similar to work on my GS450h: my first car was a SAAB99 and that had many parts that 'overlapped' with other models (e.g. you could fit points from a Ford Fiesta) that sold for a fraction of the SAAB price - but the trick is knowing what matched what.

Given the very strongly links that exist between older Lexus and Toyota models, I am sure that there are equivalences which could be exploited. However, given how hard I have found it to find out the part number of the correct suspension for my car, I imagine the only way I'd find out what Camry part to use etc. would be through experts such as you two sharing the info... which is one of the values of forums like this one I think.

• Like 1

Well a quick update, I had a call from the suspension company and they have fixed both of my rear shocks! They have rethreaded, resealed etc (whatever they do!) and all ready to go, all for the cost of £70 per shock! Very pleased to say the least! I did ask if they would offer this service to other forum members but they declined saying they did this as a one off, however they did say it wasn't difficult so other suspension companies will be able to do the job.

I will be collecting tomorrow and putting them on the car for the new owner (my friend who is buying the car from me!). So if anyone wants any 1000 mile old coilovers all 4 corners will be up for sale after xmas! 36 way damper and fully height adjustable (BC Racing BR Series)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A bit of an introduction post too.

Only had my GS450H (2009) for 4 or 5 weeks now and it's blown the NS Rear strut resulting in much bouncing, breaking traction and an annoying rattle from the undamped corner.

Took out the all-signing-all-dancing AA Gold+ 5star uber warranty when I purchased it under the salesman's line of "covers everything mechanical but not the hybrid system"...so as a gullible mug I believed him.

Suspension springs, links, torsion bars all covered...but not the struts...CLAIM DENIED - so that's just dandy!

New one from Lexus apparently coming in at £260+VAT plus whatever time is allotted by the system. If that's the full assembly it'll barely improve the handling as the spring will be new on that side.

Dealership (300 miles away) isn't that interested "well, you bought a warranty = not our problem"

So - does anybody have a reliable source for these parts - except for a breakers yard?! Thanks

I'm not sure that the dealer can simply evade responsibility under the law. I would be inclined to contact Trading Standards/CAB and see what your rights are. Also, may be worth contacting Honest John as his advice is normally pretty accurate and fair. 

Also, I would consider if you can cancel the AA warranty (not as described) and look into getting a Lexus warranty instead.

Good luck with getting sorted out in any case.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

I'm not sure that the dealer can simply evade responsibility under the law. I would be inclined to contact Trading Standards/CAB and see what your rights are. Also, may be worth contacting Honest John as his advice is normally pretty accurate and fair. 

Also, I would consider if you can cancel the AA warranty (not as described) and look into getting a Lexus warranty instead.

Good luck with getting sorted out in any case.

Bob is spot on Derkins.

1.The Trader has a Statutory responsibility to correct at his expense any significant fault which occurs within 6 months of your purchase. You do not have to prove anything as the fault is deemed to have been present when you bought the vehicle.The fact that he is 300 miles away is irrelevant and he should pay for a reputable local to you repair/replacement part(s).

2. The AA Warranty is irrelevant and should never have been purchased. Explain to AA and seek to  cancel..

3. Honest John at honestjohn.co.uk is simply the best motoring journalist this side of Alpha Centauri and you should email him pronto.

4. Yes, when the problems have been sorted you simply must try for a Lexus Warranty.

All the very best to you in your endeavors.

Regards

John

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just carefully dismantled a rear shock off my GS450H "2 new one's fitted before I bought the car", and they left the old shocks in the boot.

The OEM KYB shock absorbers are classic mono tube design with a spacer piston in the bottom to separate the gas from the oil. This means it is possible to loose the oil without loosing the gas. The result of this is when the shock is removed from the spring the piston rod fully extends with virtually no control. Only the top rod seal was worn on the dismantled shock.

I have found a source for the seals "awaiting price", but even if they are £20 each "witch I doubt" refurbishing should be possible for little money.

John 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links