Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430. A Few Annoying Niggles!

Hi,

I've just bought myself a 2002 LS430 am thoroughly pleased with it and everything seems to work great apart from these few niggles:

Boot struts need replacing, I've seen some on eBay for £25. Do you think these will be any good and are they an easy DIY job to do?

The power fold mirrors only fold about halfway and also the drivers mirror only moves left to right but not up and down, although it is in a good position for me it'd be nice to have it working!!!

The NS front parking sensors appear to be faulty, I noticed they feel a bit rough with some paint chipped off them, could this be causing the problem?

Like I said apart from these few niggles the car is great and I much prefer it to my old GS430. I just wondered if anybody could offer any help to try and sort the problems above.

Cheers everybody!!!

Boot struts are easy, pull a small clip remove and replace. You'll find the boot (usually) to be a heavy old thing that will need holding up with a stout piece of timber.

I don't know about the mirrors but I would pop them off and look at the motor working without the mirror in place, it may just need resetting or lubricating.

I've never heard of the paint causing issues with a sensor, have a look behind at the wiring. Swap with a known good sensor to see if it's at fault or the wiring is the issue.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Like 1

Yes it is old Baz's. We managed to do a deal we were both happy with in which he took my old GS in p/ex. I was going to sell the GS privately myself but couldn't really be bothered with all the hassle, timewasters etc I would inevitably get!!! Baz is retired so he said he has all the time in the world to sell it on.

Really love the LS, I didn't realise how much nicer than the GS it would be!!! It just has the few minor niggles above but none of those were enough to be a deal breaker for me because absolutely everything else on the car works great and it has fantastic service history and it shows because it drives like new!!!

Regarding power fold mirrors, I remember buying my first ls430 from baz, and this was the issue with the mirrors, all I did was spray lubricant where it folds and it started working

• Like 1

Regarding power fold mirrors, I remember buying my first ls430 from baz, and this was the issue with the mirrors, all I did was spray lubricant where it folds and it started working

same here

my passenger side was like that and a squirt of WD40 done it - it has been fine fr the last 3 years

• Like 1

When I set out to buy myself a Lexus, I looked at an LS400 first but that had too much wrong with it so I dismissed it, I then spotted a really nice GS430 which I bought and have been really happy with but underneath I really wanted an LS!!!

I spotted this one for sale by Old Baz on eBay which had one owner until this year, 20 Lexus service stamps all from the same dealer who sold the car new complete with printouts and 2 more independent services. Everything is fine with the car except the few small issues above which I can live with but if they can be put right easily and cheaply I will put them right, I've just ordered some boot struts from eBay which I'm going to try doing myself (wish me luck!!!). One of my favourite and novel features at the moment is the keyless entry and start, I love walking up to the car and the kerb lights come on automatically then touch the door handle to open the doors!!!

Another thing, how warm and cold are the climate front seats meant to get, they are working but seem quite weak. Is it worth trying to clean or replace the filters in the seats or is it not really worth it?

Cheers again everybody!!!

Do you have to do any dismantling to spray the lubricant in? Do you think this may also work for the up and down of the drivers mirror?

No dismantling, get wd40 spray, put the straw thing on the end of it, and spray where it folds, with regards to the mirrors moving down, do you mean when you put in into reverse? If so, put the side mirror switch to the right and put into reverse and it should work, then again both mirrors should work, well both go down when I put my ls430 into reverse

• Like 1

It's the actual adjustment of the mirror that doesn't work. The passenger side one works fine so I think that means the switch on the dash is working ok. The drivers mirror moves left and right ok but not up and down.

I'm going to try putting some WD40 into the folding mechanism tomorrow, not been able to do anything with it today, it hasn't stopped raining!!!

Boot struts are easy, pull a small clip remove and replace. You'll find the boot (usually) to be a heavy old thing that will need holding up with a stout piece of timber.

I don't know about the mirrors but I would pop them off and look at the motor working without the mirror in place, it may just need resetting or lubricating.

I've never heard of the paint causing issues with a sensor, have a look behind at the wiring. Swap with a known good sensor to see if it's at fault or the wiring is the issue.

Good luck and enjoy.

Is it easy to pop the mirrors off?? I don't want to risk damaging anything lol!!! I'm not all that mechanically minded but don't mind having a go at certain tasks if easy enough.

I've had a closer look at the parking sensors and they look quite scuffed, can they be polished or sanded down?

It could be the clip behind the mirror is broken, hence why it doesn't move up and down

I'll hopefully get to have a look at it tomorrow in daylight, these short days are a pain when you have jobs to do and working full time!!!

Hi Martin

I see you are receiving plenty of advice about the mirrors - mine often stick in the cold weather - plenty of WD40 often works.

I had a new boot lid under warrant and it seemed to be a lot heavier than the original. My struts failed not long after - I replaced them but the heavy lid seems to defeat the new new ones as well. I'd be interested how you get on - my bonnet struts don't seem as stiff as they used to be (I have some sympathy with them) but they have lasted since 2002 and 250K miles.

The parking sensors can be a pain - chipped paint = duff sensor usually because water gets into the ultrasonic transducer. I have one that does not like cold weather so always beeps first thing on a cold day - not it is not caused by crap on it. I buy them on AliBaBa in China - last time they were $25 plus shipping (very cheap) - there are two types of sensor. The ones on either side of the number plate are bigger but easy to fit. The small ones at the front are a pain - wheel arch cover off.

The rear sensors survive well because they are not battered by the weather so much.

Good luck

Bren

I don't know how the mirror glass comes out on your particular mode, but on many cars that I have replaced glass on you get a plastic kitchen utensil wrapped in a cloth, spoon, egg flipper, fish knife, put it behind the mirror and prise it off.

Some cars though have a small sliding switch that is located under the bottom edge of the mirror. Tilt the mirror up and look inside and you will see it, slide it to one side.

I would have thought someone, with your model would have been able to comment on it.

Hi Martin

I see you are receiving plenty of advice about the mirrors - mine often stick in the cold weather - plenty of WD40 often works.

I had a new boot lid under warrant and it seemed to be a lot heavier than the original. My struts failed not long after - I replaced them but the heavy lid seems to defeat the new new ones as well. I'd be interested how you get on - my bonnet struts don't seem as stiff as they used to be (I have some sympathy with them) but they have lasted since 2002 and 250K miles.

The parking sensors can be a pain - chipped paint = duff sensor usually because water gets into the ultrasonic transducer. I have one that does not like cold weather so always beeps first thing on a cold day - not it is not caused by crap on it. I buy them on AliBaBa in China - last time they were $25 plus shipping (very cheap) - there are two types of sensor. The ones on either side of the number plate are bigger but easy to fit. The small ones at the front are a pain - wheel arch cover off.

The rear sensors survive well because they are not battered by the weather so much.

Good luck

Bren

Can you take the sensors apart and dry/clean them up?

Thanks everybody for all your help and advice, I have been unable to try any fixes today because of the relentless wind and rain battering us at the moment!!! I'm going to try a good dose of WD40 on the folding mechanism. I'll to take the mirror glass out to access the workings for the up/ down adjustment. I found a thread where somebody forced the mirror by hand and managed to get it working again when they had a similar problem, I don't know if it's wise to try that brute force and ignorant approach lol!!! What do you think??

My new boot struts arrived today, as soon as I've installed them I'll report back!!! They only cost £25 on eBay so time will tell how good they are. The boot lid is very heavy!!! The bonnet struts look very new and hold it without a problem

I just wondered if I could get some feedback on how effective the heated and cooled seats are meant to be. I think they are working but very seem very weak, is it worth replacing or cleaning the little filters under the seats or are the heating and cooling functions a bit crap anyway? Thanks again for everybody's help, I am loving the car but will love it even more if I can sort these little niggles.

Hi Martin

Good luck

Bren

Can you take the sensors apart and dry/clean them up?

I have had zero success in 'bringing them back to life'. Once water gets in them or the crystal cracks they don't last long. Once the paint chips off I try and clean them up but a new sensor is inevitable.

On the seat heaters and coolers mine work well - they will never turn your bum in to a snow ball but will make you comfortable in the summer. I get the garage to mess with filters.

Bren

• Like 1

I think 2 of the front parking sensors are definitely shot, they are black and feel very rough!!! The faulty back one doesn't look in bad shape so may be salvageable.

I'm not that bothered about the front sensors to be honest, I've never had them before so don't miss them. I do like to have rear ones though if possible. Will the rear ones still operate even if the front ones are faulty or can the front ones be disconnected easily? I wonder if it might be best to just fit some aftermarket rear ones and forget the Lexus park assist altogether.

Last night I tried the heated seats again, I can definitely hear the fans start running in the seats and I'm getting some warmth so it might just be me expecting too much, I don't like heated seats that are too warm anyway!!! I had a Vauxhall Vectra once and they got really warm so it was uncomfortable. Are the cooled seats linked to the rest of the climate control? In other words do I need the climate set to cold in order to get cold air through the seats or are the seats independent?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links