Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - Time To Lay To Rest?

Hi - after over 12 years of faultless service it may be time to lay my 1996 LS400 to rest...it needs a new fuel pump, expensive to fit but other issues may arise and I don't know if it may begin to cost too much to keep going...it has been an amazing journey but is it time to let go?? I live in West London and if anyone knows a cost effective garage maybe I'll keep it running...

What do you think? Thanks!

The garage reckons the Toyota pump is £250 and another £200 to fit...but my fear is other issues may arise, relay etc...is there anywhere around West London that is good with these "old ladies" ??

I would have a new pump fitted if I was in your position.

It has obviously been a very good car for you, otherwise you would not have kept it for 12 years. Yes, other issues may arise but they may also arise with whatever car you buy as a replacement.

I hope I get 12 years faultless service out of both of mine!!

I'm here :)

You can get a good quality OEM specification fuel pump for around £60.00,example below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OEM-Replacement-Fuel-Pump-Lexus-LS400-1990-1998-/121755849570?hash=item1c5936d362:g:IPQAAOSwHmhV8PLf

£200.00 to fit a new fuel pump! Must be London prices, probably a 2 hour job,less for a professional.

To access the fuel pump the rear seat base (30 seconds to remove) and the upright section (20 minutes to remove), once this is out of the way the fuel tank is exposed, remove the pump access plate (5 minutes) and remove and refit the new pump (30 minutes).Put it all back together again.

What are your symptoms making the fuel pump the culprit?

My MOT garage are charging me only £200.00 + VAT labour to replace my timing belt and that is a 6-8 hour job.

• Like 1

I'm here :)

You can get a good quality OEM specification fuel pump for around £60.00,example below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OEM-Replacement-Fuel-Pump-Lexus-LS400-1990-1998-/121755849570?hash=item1c5936d362:g:IPQAAOSwHmhV8PLf

£200.00 to fit a new fuel pump! Must be London prices, probably a 2 hour job,less for a professional.

To access the fuel pump the rear seat base (30 seconds to remove) and the upright section (20 minutes to remove), once this is out of the way the fuel tank is exposed, remove the pump access plate (5 minutes) and remove and refit the new pump (30 minutes).Put it all back together again.

What are your symptoms making the fuel pump the culprit?

My MOT garage are charging me only £200.00 + VAT labour to replace my timing belt and that is a 6-8 hour job.

That's an unbelievable price. Some of these garages are really hurting and are willing to give us some real bargains. Mike.

Rather a knee jerk action to a faulty fuel pump. As pointed out by othe experienced members you can get a pump cheaper and fitting it is fairly straightforward.

Hardly needs mega hours to fit one.

Better the devil you know.

Please reconsider

Hi Steve - well that changes things! Do you think these pumps would be reliable?

The symptoms started with an intermittent failure to start - it cranked/turned over but no firing. The breakdown and garage suggested it was the crank sensor, so we changed this (£200) but then the next day it started and drove for a while but then the power dropped away as I was driving, then failed to start again at all. The garage reckon its the pump, but they are no experts...

Yes, it expensive here, so any suggestions welcome!

cheers.

How about checking for codes. Much better than guessing then throwing expensive parts at the problem. I can guarantee that your next car will give you more trouble than your LS over 12 years.

True, OBDII will not throw a code for low or non existent fuel pressure, a quick test for the fuel pump is to open the engine diagnostic socket and place a jumper wire between +B and FP connections of the socket and then see if the car starts.

Also on the passenger side fuel rail there is a pressure regulator connected to it at the rear, it looks like a little top hat with a pip in the top, if you do the above test this little pip should pop up if full fuel pressure is present.

On the 1996 you will have to remove the engine cover to do this.

The fuel filter as mentioned can is often overlooked as a service item and can become completely clogged.

Regarding the replacement pump reliability, on eBay it does say "lifetime warranty" and for the cost compared with Lexus prices surely worth a try.

Worse thing is a failed CPS would have thrown a code so why 2 supposedly professional outfits wrongly diagnosed a part costing £200.00 is beyond belief.

My advice is to also find another garage who are experts instead of guessperts preferably a little further north :)

If you can drive it 150 miles north I'll even take a look for you.

• Like 3

Hi Lougraden

I am intrigued as to how the garage came up with the pump as the problem there are several scenarios that can result in your symptoms It could actually be a £12 fuel filter thats clogged and just to put your mind at rest it is is the first time I have ever heard of a fuel pump failing on a Lexus LS400.Follow the advice of the members that have suggested a proper analysis, it could well be a simple fix.

I use a chap in Carshalton, just outside Croydon who works only on Toyota's and Lexus's. PM me if interested and I'll pass on his details

Hi Keith,

Tried to PM you but got the below - I would like to get the information of the garage! Thanks!!

The following errors were found

The member Keith Bowler cannot receive any new messages

This personal message has not been sent

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links