Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'check Hybrid System' 'check Vsc System' Rx400 Inverte

Hi all

I have seen posts from 2013 about the Recall issue but couldnt find anything recent so have started this thread.

I bought a used 2008 RX400H last week and when I got it home warning lights came on (engine, skid, Master warning and Brake system light) It also says Check VSC system, check Hybrid system. I called the garage I bought it from and they just put me intouch with the local Lexus dealer as I bought it tade so didnt come with a warrenty. (silly me trying to save a few quid)

I have taken it into the Lexus garage who have done the diagnostics and they were unclear of what the problem could be. They then checked if it was part of the Inverter recall and it was so they said they are going to sort that. But they say the lights being on is nothing to do with the inverter issue as they are in different places in the car.

When I have looked online at the DVSA and the American recall notice it states these lights would come on and the car could stop all of a sudden. Car seems to drive ok but MPG seems low. Lexus say the lights are probably to do with a Battery sensor but they wont try to fix the warning light issue until the inverter has been changed.

They have given us a courtesy car until tuesday but the part is apparently on back order till 2099, Yes 2099. I assume this is a number the computer spits out when they dont know when its available.

They are contacting Lexus UK to see if we can have a long term Courtesy car.

My questions are.

1. Has anyone recently had an issue with the inverter and had it fixed under the Recall?

2. How long did it take to get the inverter fixed?

3. What are peoples opinions on if the warning lights are connected with the inverter issue?

4. If it is a sensor on the Battery how much would that cost as Lexus dont want to quote any prices at the moment for some reason.

5. Has anyone had a long term courtesy car from Lexus and if so how long and did you get like for like as we have dogs and kids and need the space, hence the puchase of the lovely RX400. :hohoho:

Sorry its a long thread but its my first one and its all been bursting to get out there. I have trawled through this forum for answers first and have learnt lots already and await enlightenment from you 'Go to' guys and gals.

Thanks

Hello my inverter was done on the recall and I had no problem with it prior to that or afterwards so I can't really comment, as for the lights and warnings I've got no idea .

I've had a courtesy car from Lexus Birmingham every time I've had MOT or service and so it may depend on you how long you've been a regular customer at the dealer as to how long they will give you a car for but I'm not sure about that .

I know it's going to obvious but the only advice I can give you always get a warranty and unless you know of a good example of a car from a neighbour or a friend who has had one a long time and wants to sell it, always try and get one from the lexus dealer because you may pay more but you know you're getting a car that has been looked after. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Zotto

The 12v Battery was changed before we brought it home as I was aware of them dying quite quick. The day after the lights were on I disconnected it for 10mins and reconnected it. The lights stayed off for about 10mins.

Thanks Jason. I know.

My friend who used to be in the car bussines has always helped me out through his contacts and this was one of his contacts. I had test drove one from Lexus which made me and the wife want one but this one was a lot cheaper and it seemed like fate that there was one in. I should have thought on, that in this day and age the cars are a lot more complicated and the warranty is a neccessary safety net. Must say my friend has saved me a lot of money in the past and it was my blind optimism and the allure of the sweet Lexus drive that has gotten me here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just an update on where I am with the RX400.

It is still at the dealership and awaiting the inverter with no date for delivery. They originally said we wouldnt get a courtesy car but after a few discussions with Lexus UK on the safety recall they have given us one which is great.

The dealership are saying that the lights being on is a problem with the Hybrid computer module and will cost £1000. But I dont want to get this done before the inverter so we can rule it out. I only drove the car for a couple of hours from buying it so will be looking for the dealer to fit the bill for any additional costs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hybrid computer module?

• 3 weeks later...

You're not wrong infact I have one in my workshop (although i very much doubt this is the actual source of the check hybrid/vsc/ etc etc)

What i think you have there are two quite separate things which are actually unrelated, as yours is in for a recall for the inverter then whilst they are doing the modification to the inverter you are entitled to your coutesy car absolutely.

I think you will find that at 2008 the Hybrid Battery itself is starting to get weak which is totally unrelated (i suspect) to the recall.

There are several temperature sensors & an air flow sensor inside the Battery compartment however it is extremely rare for one of these to fail & would be instantly identifiable by the fault codes they generate. There are also around 15 -20 voltage sensing wires which have been known to snap (again quite rare but I have seen it twice on Prius's) again would be very obvious from the diagnostic data list.

There are a few tips i could give but i think you will have to PM me for those. If i can help i will.

Richard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again all

sorry I've not been back in for a while but I havent been getting Posts to my email for some reason. Anyway just another update.

We eventually got the RX back after the Inverter change at the end of January. All systems had been reset and they said just drive it and see if the warnings come back. All the original warnings and messeges came back on after 3 weeks. We had it back for diagnostics and they found it to be pointing to the Hybrid computer Module as originally mentioned. This was changed (the dealer we got it from agreed to fit most of this cost leaving me with £200 towards it which was fine). The car was in for 5 days and I contacted them to ask why it was taking so long and they have said that it has not fixed the problem and all warnings and messages are still exactly the same. They dont know what to do as the diagnostics still point to the same issue but they have said maybe its that the Battery is the problem and we need a new one. Surely a machine like this with all the diagnostics would be able to state what componant is the issue especially with the possible expense involved. I dont want them to just start changing everything on the off chance its at fault. They are in the process of contacting Lexus UK for possible solutions and in the meantime we are back in a courtesy car.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciatted

Richard, Ill PM you if you dont mind.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have a 2007 RX400H with 114000 miles on the clock. I had a new start Battery installed when I bought this car back in Feb this year. Mine too has just started to display the Check VCS and Hybrid system but only when it's damp and cold, but when I turn off the ignition and try to start again the Ready light does not come on. I had the car checked out at lexus when I bought it and they gave me a healthy Battery and Inverter thumbs up, inverter has been changed. When I disconnect and reconnect the start Battery the fault light clear and when the vehicle is warm they do not come back on. I suspect the Start Battery even though the voltage shows correct I think when it's cold the ampage is down causing the sensors to kick in. I'm going to get it checked at Halfords as they have a great Battery system test meter that's checks out everything.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I called the garage I bought it from and they just put me in touch with the local Lexus dealer as I bought it trade so didnt come with a warranty. (silly me trying to save a few quid)

Given the date of the original post it's a moot point but worth noting that this is actually misdirection and half truth on the part of the original seller.

There is no such thing as a trade sale (or sold as seen) between a Registered business selling a car and a member of the public. Your statutory rights are unaffected (i.e. fit for purpose, right to reject, etc.), if you choose not to buy a warranty that's fine (none I've found cover the hybrid system anyway so useless on a 400h) but certainly in this case the car was not fit for purpose at the time of purchase and the buyer would have been well within his rights to return the car for a refund.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2016 at 5:56 AM, hybridbatterysolutions said:

You're not wrong infact I have one in my workshop (although i very much doubt this is the actual source of the check hybrid/vsc/ etc etc)

What i think you have there are two quite separate things which are actually unrelated, as yours is in for a recall for the inverter then whilst they are doing the modification to the inverter you are entitled to your coutesy car absolutely.

I think you will find that at 2008 the Hybrid Battery itself is starting to get weak which is totally unrelated (i suspect) to the recall.

There are several temperature sensors & an air flow sensor inside the Battery compartment however it is extremely rare for one of these to fail & would be instantly identifiable by the fault codes they generate. There are also around 15 -20 voltage sensing wires which have been known to snap (again quite rare but I have seen it twice on Prius's) again would be very obvious from the diagnostic data list.

There are a few tips i could give but i think you will have to PM me for those. If i can help i will.

Richard

Hi,

I have kind of weird problem with my RX400H 2007. When I turn my air con on, I get Check Hybrid and Check VSC message displayed with check engine light, traction light and red triangle. Scanning tool displays P010A code (Mass Air Flow B Circuit Malfunction). Just to make sure, I ran vehicle for about a month without turning on A/C (blower was on most of the time) and no errors. When I turned on A/C today, same error came up. I’m unable to understand what air con and MAF circuit to do with each other. The vehicle keeps running fine when error comes but doesn’t start after turning off, until code is cleared or Battery terminal is removed and replaced. I’ll really appreciate help solving the issue.

When you switch on the AC it puts an extra load on the engine and would slow it down unless the system compensates for it by way of altering the fuelling, which is why you use slightly more petrol with AC on.

The MAF sensor obviously plays a huge role in the fuelling of the engine, which explains the correlation between the two things.

The main problem you've got is that the code you're seeing relates to the malfunction of a circuit associated with the sensor rather than the sensor itself. Surprisingly, I can't seem to find any mention of that particular code in the workshop manual, only P0101 rather than P010A.

I've got to go out now but I'll get the wiring diagrams up for you later. Meanwhile, here's how to test the MAF sensor itself, although it probably won't do any good if you haven't got the test gear:

1968000825_2019-07-01(1).thumb.png.1a060384b815ee52af484757e0611832.png

Hi all thanks for all the input to my original thread and apologies for not finishing the story. We ended up having the main Battery changed out as it was not charging up because a few of the cells had died which was why it was lighting up like a Christmas tree. It was approx £2500 but the dealer went halves with us. He offered to swap for anything of a similar price they had in but there was nothing I was interested in. After spending the extra money on the Battery it came to the same price as one from Lexus itself but with a new computer module and main Battery. It's still going strong now and had no issues since.

Take it easy.

Tim

Thanks for quick reply. You’re right the code could be related to circuit not the sensor itself as I have replaced engine MAF sensor but that did not solve the issue. My vehicle is RX400H hybrid and AC compressor is high voltage electric compressor operated by hybrid Battery. Would that still load up the engine?

Could this code be related to any mass air flow in the hybrid Battery compartment as the quoted post from Richard indicated? May be when AC on, hybrid Battery needs more air circulation that it’s not getting due to clogged fan or something?

3 hours ago, Muz84 said:

You’re right the code could be related to circuit not the sensor itself as I have replaced engine MAF sensor but that did not solve the issue. My vehicle is RX400H hybrid and AC compressor is high voltage electric compressor operated by hybrid battery. Would that still load up the engine?

Doh! I forgot we were talking hybrid. I don't know if that would load the engine or not then - probably not.

Could this code be related to any mass air flow in the hybrid battery compartment as the quoted post from Richard indicated? May be when AC on, hybrid battery needs more air circulation that it’s not getting due to clogged fan or something?

I don't know but it will certainly do no harm to check all vents, grilles, filters, air ducts etc., etc., in case they're clogged up with fluff or dust.

I did find this after a general googling - notice that Toyota/Lexus is top of the list and seems to be a common problem, although you've already changed the sensor:

2019-07-01.thumb.png.08aa6eeb921561c17b4b9159a3dacca6.png

Anyway, here are the wiring diagrams for you so that you can check the circuits to the MAF NB - Step 1b requires you to put the engine into 'inspection mode' so instructions for that are also included:

2019-07-01 (2).png

2019-07-01 (3).png

2019-07-01 (4).png

2019-07-01 (5).png

2019-07-01 (6).png

2019-07-01 (7).png

2019-07-01 (8).png

2019-07-01.png

On 7/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, Mogy said:

Hi all thanks for all the input to my original thread and apologies for not finishing the story. We ended up having the main battery changed out as it was not charging up because a few of the cells had died which was why it was lighting up like a Christmas tree. It was approx £2500 but the dealer went halves with us. He offered to swap for anything of a similar price they had in but there was nothing I was interested in. After spending the extra money on the battery it came to the same price as one from Lexus itself but with a new computer module and main battery. It's still going strong now and had no issues since.

Take it easy.

Tim

Well that's good news all round then. A little more expensive that you first expected, but you have a car now with years of life ahead of it.

Thanks for the great support. After doing whatever I could do, I took vehicle to dealer. The fault code my obd reader was reading turned out to be wrong. The actual fault code reported by techstream is P0AA6 High voltage insulation fault. So your initial suspicion could be right. Dealer believe the A/C compressor causing short circuit due to wrong oil. I have not replaced oil or refrigerant in last 2 years since I owned the vehicle. Is there anything I can try before following their very costly recommendation to replace the A/C compressor and flush out the system?

I once washed off the engine block and top of compressor with garden hose followed by degreaser spray (due to oil leak). Could that cause rust in high voltage connection on compressor or something similar and is it worth checking? Is it safe to unplug that to have a look, after disconnecting 12v Battery? Is it easy to disconnect without special tool?

Diagnosis data including Freeze frame data and short wave graph is attached.

1F27F10D-5E25-4DEB-9864-B0DDD614BB7A.jpeg

7DE77183-4E60-4A62-9274-1BE8DC5F4AD3.jpeg

D5B256C0-58B2-4358-9A10-87CC369FFA1A.jpeg

1F874511-064D-4CCA-B186-1D91329A32B6.jpeg

0D585DB6-CCB5-40CE-B19B-82DA432B857B.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Hi I have exactly the same problem as above , awd, hybrid braking lights on etc on an 2011 rx450H .

was told by Lexus during warranty it was dirty fuel , no it wasn’t . It is now out of warranty any ideas would be most welcomed