Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Dash Cam Fitting

Am just about to purchase the NextBase 402G dash cam from Halfords and was wondering if anyone has attempted the hard wire route by utilising the overhead console? Will initially use the 12v plug but of course will want to eventually hard wire the kit in, thus reducing those unsightly wires.

Surprisingly, having asked Lexus (Hedge End) if they could advise supplying and fitting this device to my new RX450h, the answer was 'no'. All other options were taken care of, but not the dash cam. Any advice on this hard wiring route would be appreciated. I am pretty competent at electrics, but pulling apart the overhead console without first asking for advice, even if it is "don't go down that route" I thought would be prudent.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

I have hard wired a dash cam. Easy. I took out the upper centre console to do the job.

I wired mine to the window sensor, live when ignition on, just piggy backed the wires, soldered and heat shrinked.

The cigarette lighter was taken apart and the PCB was rewired, it's a bridge rectifier rather than a transformer on the board. (Pedant)

This was wired to the window sensor and the shortened usb lead making sure you get the polarity right, or you'll be sending smoke signals.

The PCB was tucked, insulated, inside the console.

Roberts your fathers brother, a couple hours work.

• Like 1

I have hard wired a dash cam. Easy. I took out the upper centre console to do the job.

I wired mine to the window sensor, live when ignition on, just piggy backed the wires, soldered and heat shrinked.

The cigarette lighter was taken apart and the PCB was rewired, it's a bridge rectifier rather than a transformer on the board. (Pedant)

This was wired to the window sensor and the shortened usb lead making sure you get the polarity right, or you'll be sending smoke signals.

The PCB was tucked, insulated, inside the console.

Roberts your fathers brother, a couple hours work.

If it was a single rectifier diode this would be there to prevent reverse polarity connection as a diode will only conduct in one direction, most cigar socket type plugs have a fuse installed in the tip which should be transferred over to a hard wired installation for continued protection ( an inline fuse holder is a good substitute)