Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anoying Rattle From Under Car And Nobody Seems To Be Able To Cure It

janner

i'm pretty sure it has to be the top mount on that side, i have sorted anything else it could be so by a process of elimination it SHOULD be that. Bloody noise is driving me mad.

The nearside top mount (looking at it from under the bonnet) is solid and the nut wont turn, seems ok

The offside, where the noise is, i could turn a fair bit. Tightened it, took it for a drive and then checked it and could turn it AGAIN even more, even though before i went out i tightened it up solid.

I may get it checked next week but am slowly getting fed up with the car i have to admit

• 1 month later...

hiya, sorry have got rid of car now, traded it in for a lovely Jag  s type. Owning the is 200 was a total and utter pain in the a*** and the car was a complete money pit and am glad to see the back of the b*stard if I'm honest!

I spent money on every possible scenario to cure the rattle and i eventually gave up

These cars seem to have a cult following, fair enough, but i think many of the owners i came across online were much younger than myself and were more interested in pimping their cars!

so, this will prob be my last post on this forum, thanks to everyone who gave me advice, i did appreciate it, its just this is the 2nd bad experience with owning an IS200 and ive walked away from Lexus now.

Real shame but jags have their own bad points. There is no need to walk away from the forum, people dont only own lexus cars on here do they.

I am on many forums, because the more people you querie over faults the better chance of an answer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Real shame but jags have their own bad points. There is no need to walk away from the forum, people dont only own lexus cars on here do they.

I am on many forums, because the more people you querie over faults the better chance of an answer.

Sure thing, and the people who i have "spoken" with on this forum seem a decent bunch of people!

The Jag? Well the way I felt about the IS200 I just got shot of, i would have swapped it for a reliant robin.

Im not knocking you mate, some cars can be like that from the off. my boss bought a new audi after 80mls broke down, electronic throttle took 3 weeks to fix.

New mini diesels are a load of as well, people i know who kept braking down is unbelievable. There is not a car made with out problems, just some you never 

get to the bottom of. Good luck with the jag, make sure shes solid underneath.

Hi Paul, yep thats pretty much why i got rid of it. I like the IS but after spending hundreds and hundreds trying to cure the most annoying noise i had to cut my losses and get shot of it.

The car had:

• New front shocks £200
  • New anti roll bar bushes (which were done TWICE, long story) £300
  • New track rod ends £200 i think?
  • New top suspension mounts £150 i think?
  • New lower ball joints , cant remember the bill
  • New tyres £150

And that not including the £300 service plus the £340 cambelt change and a leaking sunroof to top it all.

Plus i didnt realise when i bought it, someone had lowered it, so was constantly grounding the car

plus rattles from exhaust, from heat shields, from brakes

£180 new discs and pads

***** leaking sunroof

and even then, as i took the chav bodykit off, someone had fannied about with the car so it needed £450 respray at the front

oh the list goes on, and the car wasnt cheap to buy either

so u can tell why i got rid of it. I was so close to getting someone to drive it off a cliff and claim the insurance LOL!

The jag i have now is lovely, not perfect but got a good deal and the main thing, i got rid of a lemon.

If you ever see a lexus is200 for sale with the registration FE04 EZG avoid it like your life depended on it!

If the car had been lowered and messed with i would of walked away at the start. Admitted you say you didnt know, did you not test drive the car.

When i bought mine, speed bumps was the first place i asked for. You need a good half an hour, at least on a test drive. If the owner wont allow

walk away. All roads types put windows down no music and if your not happy plenty more out there. It seems strange did you buy the first one you saw.

11 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

If the car had been lowered and messed with i would of walked away at the start. Admitted you say you didnt know, did you not test drive the car.

When i bought mine, speed bumps was the first place i asked for. You need a good half an hour, at least on a test drive. If the owner wont allow

walk away. All roads types put windows down no music and if your not happy plenty more out there. It seems strange did you buy the first one you saw.

yeah yeah i know! Believe me the grief i got from the Missus you wd not believe. I was driving a Honda Accord, lovely car but something major went and i needed to get into another car FAST, where I live in Devon I'm pretty much reliant on having a set of wheels at the ready.

so...i had been looking for an SE auto, in fact i really had my heart set on getting one but all the ones i saw here in the south west were buckets, or they were "ok" ones but were like T reg and V reg and i wanted a newer car than that.

So i saw the is200 sport and REALLY needed a car and thought "why not". Its the first car i have ever bought in haste and regretted it ever since.

I am sure my attitude to the IS200 would be more positive if i had a better experience but all the hassle with this one, and the fact I had an is200 SE auto in Alan Partridge blue (LOL) back in 2004 and that was only one year old with 70k on the clock and bought from Lexus Plymouth.

One year old, and 2 weeks later i get the reg docs and it had EIGHT previous owners.

Thankfully it was under warranty but omg that went back to lexus LOADS of times, i could write an essay about that car.

so..... unfortunately thats been my experience with lexus so far which is a shame as i (believe it or not) do love those cars

I am not knocking you mate, we have all been there and got the t shirt. This is my first lexus and i love it to bits, its not been without issue, hand brake not holding

brake isue which most modern cars have. Rear caliper issues had that on the octavia. I reserched the faults before buying. Parts when needed will be expensive,

so hoping i dont need many. Im lucky i am pretty hands on, my next job will probrably be spark plugs. Done all the brakes including handbrake.

I apreciate your honesty and hope you love the jag. Stay on the forum mate, most cars are similar really just a different badge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

I am not knocking you mate, we have all been there and got the t shirt. This is my first lexus and i love it to bits, its not been without issue, hand brake not holding

brake isue which most modern cars have. Rear caliper issues had that on the octavia. I reserched the faults before buying. Parts when needed will be expensive,

so hoping i dont need many. Im lucky i am pretty hands on, my next job will probrably be spark plugs. Done all the brakes including handbrake.

I apreciate your honesty and hope you love the jag. Stay on the forum mate, most cars are similar really just a different badge.

cheers no worries, appreciated