Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, I'm just wondering about which dealer I can use Lexus or Toyota to buy parts for my timing belt change, some have said that Toyota is the best one to use for buying parts, I want to buy a full timing belt kit including a water pomp plus a V belt. Can you guys give me any advice for using Toyota or Lexus dealer? My LS 400 year 1993, Thanks.

It will cost you over £600 from Lexus and it won't includeany gaskets.

Check out eBay,com and you'll find a complete kit for much less. Can't say as to the quality as I didn't know about it until too late (empty pockets)

This does include the Water pump which its best to replace at the same time.

As above, go for a Japanese made kit and a Gates branded belt.

You can also buy from some US Lexus dealers who will ship over to the UK or another good source of discounted OEM parts is www.amayama.com.

Even with VAT and import charges the parts should be considerably cheaper than UK dealers.

The early LS400 engines are non interference so if the belt does break the engine will not be damaged.

Hi

I replaced pulleys, water pump, belt, tensioner with Gates parts from Rock Auto. Extremely reasonable.

Recommend you ensure you pay VAT at point of purchase to avoid any surprises. Some sites and auction sites are vague here and you risk being caught out.

With the Gates kit you get all gaskets you need.

Alfred

Gates are the biggest belt maker worldwide and go back decades it was once an American family owned dynasty that was taken over by the British" Tomkins group" in the 1980s and was a couple of years ago spun out of that into a private equity concern as far as I know it is still the biggest belt maker not just in the automotive sector but all industrial drive belts.As far as Mitsubishi is concerned their belts will probably be sourced from one of Mitsubishi's own vast array of industrial manufacturers.

Hi guys, can anyone tell me please, is it good to buy this timing belt kit? Because I haven't got much experience on cars. I don't want to buy the wrong part. Is it worth it to buy it? It looks like a good offer for all the full kit Complete Timing Belt KIT + Water Pump LS400 SC400 GENUINE + OE Manufacture Part cheers guys.

Alfred

You say you have little experience with cars ,so I assume you are planning for someone who as got experience with cars to fit these cam belt parts .It is not a job for someone without some technical know how the task is full of pitfalls and serious problems will occur if it not done properly.

If you have not got someone in mind to do the job take it to Lexus.

• Like 1

Alfred, this looks a very good kit to buy, but as Ambermarine says, get it fitted by someone who knows what he is doing. A Lexus dealership might be a bit sniffy about you not buying the parts from them. If that is the case, you could always find a good local independant garage/mechanic who is familiar with these engines and get them to fit it. There is no immediate rush.

you could always find a good local independant garage/mechanic who is familiar with these engines and get them to fit it.

........... needle in a haystack comes to mind ! :tomato:

Malc

Is Brighton too far to come? If not I can recommend Grove Garage, who have just replaced my cambelt, water pump and pulleys. In fact they do everything on the car because apart from hoovering/washing I'm useless when it comes to maintenance.

Is Brighton too far to come? If not I can recommend Grove Garage, who have just replaced my cambelt, water pump and pulleys. In fact they do everything on the car because apart from hoovering/washing I'm useless when it comes to maintenance.

I am having mine done with Grove Garage after Christmas.They did the Y piece in the Exhaust earlier in the year and they are a great bunch of helpful people. They have quoted me £471 to include VAT and replacement water pump all with genuine Lexus parts. They are also lending me a car while its being done so I can have a nice day out in Brighton. Lets hope the sun shines. Mike.

Alfred, if Brighton is too far, as an alternative, I can recommend Japex Automotive near Hemel Hemstead, Herts. They know these cars inside out and don't mind fitting your 'bring along' parts. Very friendly bunch who do a thorough job at a reasonable price too. I've used them a few times. Tel No. is 01923 260707. Ask for Stuart if you're interested.

• Like 1

Hi guys I know someone in my area, he's Japanese and he's got an independent garage and I asked him about the work and he seems very confident, I ask him if he could get the parts from Japan and he made a call and the parts will cost £300 plus a £50 for postage from Japan

I am having mine done with Grove Garage after Christmas.They did the Y piece in the Exhaust earlier in the year and they are a great bunch of helpful people. They have quoted me £471 to include VAT and replacement water pump all with genuine Lexus parts. They are also lending me a car while its being done so I can have a nice day out in Brighton. Lets hope the sun shines. Mike.

That's not bad, and I had my y-pipe done by them too, they seemed a good bunch, as you say.

I was planning to do mine shortly, but at that price, I'm tempted not to get my hands dirty, plus I'd have paperwork should I need to sell the car.

Does that include new pulleys Mike?

That's not bad, and I had my y-pipe done by them too, they seemed a good bunch, as you say.

I was planning to do mine shortly, but at that price, I'm tempted not to get my hands dirty, plus I'd have paperwork should I need to sell the car.

Not that I am aware of. Mike.

Not that I am aware of. Mike.

I guess he'll fit if needed then, easy enough to feel for any roughness or play once the belt's off.

Still a good price though.

Enjoy your day in Brighton.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24 December 2015 at 5:42 PM, Titch LS said:

Alfred, if Brighton is too far, as an alternative, I can recommend Japex Automotive near Hemel Hemstead, Herts. They know these cars inside out and don't mind fitting your 'bring along' parts. Very friendly bunch who do a thorough job at a reasonable price too. I've used them a few times. Tel No. is 01923 260707. Ask for Stuart if you're interested.

cheers Brian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links