Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loss Of Power/hesitation Around 3000 Rpm Is220D

Rickrobbo

Hi, I've been having this problem for a while now. There are similar post but not found a definitive answer yet. Here's the problem:

When I accelerate hard in third or fourth gear the engine hesitates or feels like there is a loss of power at about 3000rpm. If you keep you foot down then the engine never picks up properly again. It feels like the Rev limiter is kicking in or one of the cylinders has stopped firing. It is not every time but happens more frequently when warm.

I have had the DPF filter removed and the EGR valve cleaned which improved the MPG and I hoped it would solve the hesitation but unfortunately didn't.

Can anyone help?

Have you cleaned the MAP.

You're are unlikely, in all honesty, going to get a definitive answer to a car problem on this, or any site.

The recirculating system on diesels is quite easy to understand, read up on the web and you will understand what each part does and what issues, of many, the system produces. There are several components that cause this "limp mode " effect you describe. You have to work through each one in turn starting with the easiest and most accessible.

A code reader would point you in the right direction but they are not essential.

As I've said before, you have to get dirty at some point or pay some one to get dirty. I prefer the former.

I'm no diesel expert but with this being at a specific RPM when the turbo begins it's job it may be worth taking a look for a split intercooler hose or a faulty boost pressure sensor.

Have you had the ODBII codes read to see if there are any stored codes?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've had this on my IS220d and was quoted by the mechanic I use as EGR valve to start with. this was changed and the problem came back two days later this time with the engine management light. So I then sent the car for live diagnostic to harbour road garage at portishead and was throwing up a fault with the fuel rail over pressurising. They then got the bit but couldn't fit so now it's at Lexus Bristol hopefully to be rectified soon.

• 3 years later...