Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes. But you will have to look at a few not-so-good ones to find the right one. Unless you're very lucky.

As it's an interference engine design, you most certainly want to be assured on the cambelt change history.

• Like 1

Yes, and the LS430 requires a LOT more careful pre-purchase checking. Because there are so many more toys to act up, such as the air suspension, soft-close doors, keyless start, double glazing failing, etc.

The great thing about the Mk4 LS400 was that it was the end of a long development of the original LS400, so it was proven through many incremental improvements on a great design. In contrast, the LS430 was a big jump in spec (presumably to stay competitive with the S class), and a lot of its toys were all-new. This seems to have given rise to some components that lack the longevity of the simpler components in the LS400.

Go see a few, even ones you're unsure of, if only to familiarise yourself with the differences.

(I really wanted an LS430 when I started looking but after seeing a few, eventually my head won over my heart.)

• Like 1

Mk4 in good nick for £2K does seem to be getting harder, but worth persevering.

When I started looking, took a good few months to find the right one on line and by 'luck' turned out to be a well looked after car (apart from usual leaky boot syndrome).

If you can get one with Cam belt done, all the better, otherwise allow around £350 to £500 to get it sorted.

You would need to look at the overall condition by inspecting it. The MOT history indicates it could be genuine mileage but there have been advisories and fails on the brakes in the past. They may have sorted the problem but it might be something to check on a test drive. The wheels are not standard and the bodywork is described as excellent, yet you can see a large dent above the nearside rear wheel arch - can you trust the dealer on their description? The website gives testimonials and appears to sell cars on reputation. Other more knowledgable members might wish to add other points. It looks, on the face of it, good for the money in my opinion. Depends how far you want to travel and still be prepared to walk away. Car is in CannockI would consider having a look and checking the service history. If it is as good as it sounds, it will sell fairly quickly - if not there may be issues with the car.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Hi how'd you find out about mot advisories. I thought you needed an mot test centre number or a number off of v5 to access that on mot check. I noticed that dent. And the wheels look awful to me. And thanks by the way

I thought all that told you was if it was motd or not.

I thought you had to put in a test centre number to get info on advisories

New system now tells you mileage, fail and why, advisories, quite useful. Mike.

Hi Chasdad

There are some good late LS400s still around, but if they are advertised you have to be quick as usually get snapped up quickly.

Even though I have a good one I still keep looking, saw this one on gumtree and quickly someone left a deposit on it. it does look tidy. don't know if the link will work.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/price-dropped-1999-lexus-ls400-pearl-white-low-mileage-satnav-2keys/1147782357

I got mine from a car sales pitch in birmingham whilst browsing for a replacement 4x4 and came out with a LS400, best days window shopping ever.

Keep looking one will turn up

Brian

Hi SHELLDRAKE

If you go back to the site and look at the top there is a button to click for feedback, there you will find a dropdown menu and one option deals with informing them of missing detaild/vehicle history.

Hi Messi :I just tried the Gov. link to check My Mot history put in reg and car make, it came back car not found. What do you reckon !!

Norman

You have done something wrong. dont get your 0 number o letters mixed up. Mike.

Well I just bought the white one on Gumtree that Jim mentioned. Says sold in add but he'd been let down. So just went and bought it. Looks very nice. Still not sure on the white though