Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Recommended Insurance Companies?

Hi all. Looking at buying a second car sorry but it's a BMW X5. Does anybody know of a reasonable insurance company, I've done go compare and cheapest is nearly £500 not impressed. My 430 is under £300 and my van is under £200. Cheers phil

I've used Adrian flux in past and did a online quote with them yesterday but not heard a thing of them so please exclude them.

Adrian Flux have been closed since Thursday, open again on Monday.

This is the recommended list to follow, in this order:

1. Google*

2. GoCompare*

2. Confused.com*

3. MoneySuperMarket.com*

Then check insurers they miss:

Direct Line*

Aviva*

Admiral MultiCar*

Won't be used that much John so doesn't really bother me, plus unleaded at a Lowish price. Maybe not for long thou, just got back from Holland- Germany working about 60-70p a litre

• Like 1

Phil, hope your X5 is more reliable than my ex-work colleague's one. She shelled out £3,000 on a replacement gearbox for hers. That was the result of never changing the ATF in the gearbox. So called 'sealed for life'.

I've known that happen to Lexus, jaguar,ect. It's only done 79000mls full bmw service history so hopefully shouldn't need for anything apart from the wear and tear stuff. Also I've been making sure no tow bar has been fitted as that puts me off. If your towing a caravan around every weekend I'm sure that wouldn't help the gearbox, or maybe I'm wrong

Hi all. Looking at buying a second car sorry but it's a BMW X5. Does anybody know of a reasonable insurance company, I've done go compare and cheapest is nearly £500 not impressed. My 430 is under £300 and my van is under £200. Cheers phil

I've used Adrian flux in past and did a online quote with them yesterday but not heard a thing of them so please exclude them.

I use LifeSure... :phone:

Phil, Not saying that your Beemer gearbox will go 'bang', (I hope it doesn't), just saying that they go 'bang' a lot more often than Lexus ones. E.g in a properly maintained LS400 autobox, failure is almost unheard of. Most modern gearbox problems stem from them being 'filled for life' i.e. (neglected), that's all I'm saying. If I was the owner of a used X5 the first thing I would do is change the ATF.

I know where your coming from, I've had a couple of jags with zf gearbox. Few years ago I took my stype to Chester gearbox centre as I heard about these gearboxes and they said should only worry if fluid is discoloured and smells burnt so don't try fix something that isn't broken. But I fully understand what your saying. To be honest the only prob I've had with a auto box was on a 430.

Hi.

We are open again tomorrow. Just to let you know that all our on-line quotations are individually brokered by a member of our quotation staff they are not just automatically generated. Alternatively if you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

Phil, notice I specifically mentioned the 400 not the 430. The 430 is a lovely car, but the recognised pinnacle of the LS breed as far as reliability goes is the mk4 ('98-'00). Most of its niggles were ironed out over the 10 year production run. The 430 introduced some great design features but has suffered from some weaknesses including its radiator/oil cooler which can allow coolant to mix with ATF and hence wreck the gearbox. This is caused by owners using the wrong coolant, long term. You don't find this happening on the LS400 mk1 to mk4.

Long and short of it I don't think Lexus have failed with any of there cars, I know there not the best in the looking cars but they more than make up in quality and comfort. I personally think they have exceeded in there design lately tho. I'm going to pick up messi's 430 up Tuesday so back in Lexus as to be honest I have missed mine. Going back to gearbox on x5 I spoke to a friend of mine who is mechanic at guy salmon Range Rover. He says change atf before 100.000mls as that's when you will normally get problems then change every 25.000mls and he says it should last a life time.

If you look at transmission fluid capacity on somewhere like www.cararac.com, you can see that a lot of modern systems use a very small amount of fluid which I was told by someone who repaired gear boxes, meant they have pumps to push the minimal amount of fluid they have around. The pumps fail, and then they destroy the system from inside.

I have had a mate with two BMWs (both M3) both suffered failure within 80K.

Nothing that has moving parts in contact can be sealed for life, maybe it should be 'sealed for the life for the average length of a business car lease'.

I have heard that because oil is expensive and toxic, there is a drive to use less of the stuff, but I assume a gearbox rebuild must use a fair bit of energy etc, etc. so not exactly a long term eco-friendly way to go.