Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My First Day With Is300H..

The more toys the better as far as I am concerned! - On the kids' list is heated rear seats and climate controls!

We have a Peugeot 208 as a second car and this has toys that Lexus could/should consider (based on my experience of various RX models, so may be available with the IS which is more recent:

- headlights that turn on as soon as the auto wipers switch from intermittent to constant

- audio with separate volume memory for each source (meaning that, when you switch from AUX to DAB radio, for instance, it remembers what the volume setting was the last time you listened to the DAB radio... this applies with all audio sources including telephone, CD, AUX, FM, DAB...)

- Ability to switch the head lights from the keyfob so you can light your path to the car, and customizable follow me home function (may be available on the IS but is not available on the RX at present... may have changed with the new model)

- passenger heated seats that switch themselves off if they have been left on but the seat are no longer occupied

- Modular boot with hooks and removable partitions

- sunglasses holders

' More modern satnav graphics

I dont see the point of headlights turning on when the wipers are on, looks daft (like those guys putting their foglights on for no reason). Understandable if dark but sometimes its raining and the sun is out!

I dont think that volume feature is useful - I regularly switch between USB and radio. If I left the radio on at 40 and then moved to USB and turned the volume down, If I switched back to radio itll kill my ears and result in sudden shock would it not?!

@Rayaans...

I think they are useful in the sense that they stop people driving in pouring rain without their lights on... in particular on the motorway. I think that if it is raining enough for your wipers to go to constant mode, you should have your lights on anyway. They will not improve your own visibility in day light, but will make sure you are seen by others ahead of you, but also behind you, in conditions of reduced visibility, by people who may have fogged up windows etc... I appreciate that this may be mitigated by DRL on new cars, but a large number of older cars do not have DRLs. Incidentally, our little Peugeot's DRLs also include the rear lights, which is a bit at odd with other cars where DRLs are only at the front. I actually thought there was a fault with the car... but apparently not... this is a "feature" on new '65 models!

I think I may not have explained the volume feature properly. We all need to adjust the volume when we switch between USB and radio, or radio and phone, etc. This feature means that it remembers what your prefer volume is for each, so that when you switch from one to another source, you do not need to manually adjust the volume, the system will do it automatically based on your preferred setting.

To illustrate...

I have the volume set at:

- 25 for USB

- 35 for phone calls

- 20 for radio

If I switch from USB to radio, the system will adjust the volume from 25 to 20 without any manual intervention. If I then receive a call, volume will automatically increase to 35, and then back to 20 once the call has ended.

However, you do not need to go and manually save the volume setting for each source... the system will simply "remember" what the volume was for that particular source the last time you used it and adjust accordingly.

Hope that's a bit clearer!

I think they are useful in the sense that they stop people driving in pouring rain without their lights on.

you wont be driving without your lights on as the drl's will be turned on i know front only though

so you will still be seen coming

@Rayaans...

I think they are useful in the sense that they stop people driving in pouring rain without their lights on... in particular on the motorway. I think that if it is raining enough for your wipers to go to constant mode, you should have your lights on anyway. They will not improve your own visibility in day light, but will make sure you are seen by others ahead of you, but also behind you, in conditions of reduced visibility, by people who may have fogged up windows etc... I appreciate that this may be mitigated by DRL on new cars, but a large number of older cars do not have DRLs. Incidentally, our little Peugeot's DRLs also include the rear lights, which is a bit at odd with other cars where DRLs are only at the front. I actually thought there was a fault with the car... but apparently not... this is a "feature" on new '65 models!

I think I may not have explained the volume feature properly. We all need to adjust the volume when we switch between USB and radio, or radio and phone, etc. This feature means that it remembers what your prefer volume is for each, so that when you switch from one to another source, you do not need to manually adjust the volume, the system will do it automatically based on your preferred setting.

To illustrate...

I have the volume set at:

- 25 for USB

- 35 for phone calls

- 20 for radio

If I switch from USB to radio, the system will adjust the volume from 25 to 20 without any manual intervention. If I then receive a call, volume will automatically increase to 35, and then back to 20 once the call has ended.

However, you do not need to go and manually save the volume setting for each source... the system will simply "remember" what the volume was for that particular source the last time you used it and adjust accordingly.

Hope that's a bit clearer!

Ah I see, the volume feature would make sense yes

However, with the lights, I would have thought they'd turn on automatically if it gets too dark anyway. The settings for the auto lights are customizable, I keep them at -2 as they turn on too quick otherwise but even in the rain, the lights on the RX and IS do turn on when it gets to a certain level of darkness!

Welcome to the forum Gearoidmuar.  It is indeed a valuable source of info. You've got a lovely looking motor there.

Since I bought mine about 6 months ago, I've been driving around town mostly in ECO mode, except when my 10 year old fancies a bit of a thrill ( or I do ! ).  I then whack it into sport and leave the rest behind. 

However, based on mpg figures not making that much difference, I think it's time to come up a gear and live life in a normal/sport mode. 

I'll be back in tocch when I figure out how much difference it makes :-)

Being a techie, I love all the toys. But also being a techie, I've yet to read the user manual, so I am sure there's more to be discovered yet.

NB - Coming from a old '04 RX , I find the ride a little hard, but I still love it and wouldn't go back ( even if I could afford a new RX ! )

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I tend to use ECO only in traffic. I use normal generally, and sport on country roads when I want a bit of pace - which is rare, in fact.

Welcome on board and good to see another black IS300h at the other end of the island!