Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-Cat Emissions?

MJG

My exhaust is blowing really badly at the front. Also the join from the manifold to the center pipe is rotten away.

So I'm going to cut behind the flange so I can remove the manifold and then remove the center pipe/cat.

I found a used catalytic converter centre part on eBay and ordered a SS decat exhaust manifold.

I'm assuming that the 2 cats on the header are pre-cats for emissions when cold and the center cat is the main one.

In theory my car will still pass mot emissions as long as the center cat is warmed up?

Anyone done this on their is200 and still pass emissions without cats on the manifold?

Thanks

Really how come? Unless ive got it wrong the pre cat is the center one?

I think it will pass emissions because my Subaru had 3 cats and I removed the pre cat and it still passes MOTs.

I know it counts as a fail to have them removed but most will not notice and only check the emissions

Wheey the reason my exhaust got some much louder the other day is because it's now snapped behind the center resonator too so I'll be having to change the whole system.

Decat SS manifold, used center pipe with cat and now a SS cat back exhaust

I think I've destroyed my cat already! :'(

The car kept popping flames down the exhaust and last night it got really tinny and **** sounding. Going to take it back to the place that fitted it and hoping it's just blowing.

I explained to someone at the exhaust place about having no pre cats and passing mot because the fitter didn't think he should do it but 2 other people in the shop confirmed it will pass on the centre cat warmed up.

Also yes they would easily notice the pre cats are gone but only if they knew they were there before ;)

My subaru has passed 3 different Mots at 3 different garages with no pre cats and passed emissions.

Awesome so it turns out it was indeed only a gasket blown.

They checked it out and it was because on the manifold it goes 3-1 and ends with two flush holes and on the flange on the center pipe its 2 ringed holes and they were suppose to have rubber rings in them to make it a flush fit but didn't so it had blown the gasket apart and was leaking at back of the header.

• 7 months later...

Have you been for MOT with it yet and did it pass emissions?

My center silencer snapped just before backbox joint, on top of that the cat section is blowing as well. Looks like a full system renewal so trying to find out what the options are.

Cheers.

Hi William ,

I have had my cat removed now so it wouldnt pass the MOT without it. You can buy a ready made system, i hear that Cobra is a good quality and a nice sound if you go for the resonated version, or do what i did and go to a powerflow dealer and get them to make one to your spec and sound. There are a few options you can do, a standard system would cost a fair bit so aftermarket would be cheaper and give you just a little bit more drivability.