Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trade Seller Not Suppling V5 Copy Over Email

Why isn't the trade seller sending me V5 over the email when I have explained to him I love 300 miles away and I need to confirm a few things before I fly in for viewing?

Also the trade guy says the car used to be company owned and now they are selling it. Said that V5 still has the company as the owner. How can then they sell the car?

They sent me snap shot of HPI report which I asked for over the email. They are assuring me the vehicle is clean.

But I am daft or is there a way a trade seller can sell this car ?

Traders don't need to register cars to themselves. It would just add to the number of owners and be confusing. They just hold the V5C (less part 9 which the seller should send to VOSA) and give it to you when you buy the car. You keep Part 10, fill in the other appropriate sections and return it to VOSA.

Dunno why they shouldn't send you a V5 copy, but there are security issues. Maybe they don't think you're serious, or maybe they reckon the can sell the car locally fairly easily.

That's what VOSA and the government say - but when I had company cars the V5 (which I only got hold of if I was going on hol abroad) showed the lease company as registered keeper - never saw one with my name on it!

The V5 is one of the last things I look at when viewing a car, look at the photographs. check the MOT history to confirm claimed mileage, ask questions, if you're still keen go and view then look through the papaerwork.

Leasing is dealt with differently to your bog standard private HP. On a lease they rent you the car which is why the lease company have their name of the V5. Mike.

Not always Mike. We've leased many vehicles in the past, both personally and via my wife's business - each one of them had our names on them, not the lease company's.

Pete

Then a trade can sell my lexus if I leave V5 form in the car and car is stolen by the trade ? Where is the logic in this. How am I safe? The one who steals and sells odd my car can claim he paid for it...

Why not just ask him for the specific details you need from the V5? eMailing a shot of it to someone he's never met might be ringing an alarm bell with him, much in the same way one's ringing for you because he won't mail it!

Pete

To see who is the previous owner. Verify indeed they have the V5. Verify the car chasis with the car and hpi. I have said all this in email and on the phone to the guy that my visit will cost me a flight and a hotel stay.

You can request the V5 document number to verify the legitimacy of the document. Some traders prefer you not to know details of the previous owner maybe in case you try and contact them etc.

They should be able to provide the chassis number or at least the last digits for verification.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk