Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is-F At Lexus Belfast

Evening all,

I am very interested in purchasing an IS-F and have found a lot of useful information on this forum.

I am just wondering if anyone has come across this car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/lexus/is-f/used-lexus-is-f-5-0-4dr-acc-pcs-belfast-fpa-201507095061002?logcode=p

Perhaps a previous owner or maybe someone who has been to look at this car?

Any information would be greatly appreciated; if you know how long this one has been up for sale, that may be useful when negotiating.

I will be requesting that the car has the 60K service carried out as part of the deal.

Finally, I have been reading a lot about the suspension being firm on the earlier cars and can see this recent post about replacing the springs with those of a later model year:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/105912-finally-sorted-the-suspension-on-my-08/

One question this does raise is, does anyone have the years for when the suspension was revised? I have seen various forum posts both here and the US forum referring to 2011, 12 and 13.

Is this correct:

2008-2010 - original and most firm

2011 - improved

2012 - further improvements

2013 - final set up

This will help me if I do purchase the car from Belfast when hunting for later model OEM suspension parts.

Thanks in advance.

I may be wrong but I thought there was just pre and post 2010. Suspension firmness is a very personal thing. If you are expecting either model to cruise effortlessly over bumps then you will be disappointed. They are performance, handling focused super saloons. Drive both and then you can make up your mind. I found the suspension in my 08 perfectly fine but some pot holes were a bit crashy. I did expect fairly firm suspension in a car of this nature.

Hopefully you can find some local examples and try them out. I certainly didn't honk the pre 2010 warranted £k being spent on it for minor improvements.

Same as Stu, I found suspension on my pre 2010 ok. If your used to a Cupra (my son has one) you will probably find its a bit softer.

I think the Belfast one has been up for about 3 months. But that's not long for an ISF, many have been for sale over12 months. You will probably find that the 60k service has already been done with it being from a Lexus dealer as its 60k or 6 years and that will be 8 years old soon.

Test driving will be the ultimate way to decide.

I test drove a 2008 and own a late 2011 (DRLs model) and both are more refined than my previous Audi S4, which to my knowledge, has never been criticised for being overly firm.

The car was developed on a track and has a firm but responsive ride, but is still refined enough to have a relaxed cruise in.

When I first test drove the 2008 ISF I thought the suspension would rearrange my vitals given everything I had read and was genuinely surprised.

I was expecting a ride as hard as say an early Civic Type R and when I drove home from the test in my S4 it seemed unrefined in comparison.

Ride comfort is a very subjective thing so as the guys have said take a test drive. I think you might be surprised!.

I've only driven an 2008 example so far and that was on a short(ish) test drive. The suspension seemed fine to me on regular roads and dual carriageways. Over bumps it was no harsher than my Galant VR4 which is fitted with some (now rather old) Tein coilovers with the damper control set at the harshest setting.

In my opinion the earlier suspension is fine but like David has said it's all subjective so best having a test drive first.

I own a 2009 ISF and drive in London and the SE a bit and I find the ride quality to be very acceptable for the performance on offer. The ride quality I find is more forgiving than my 09 BMW 320i with run-flats that I had as a 2nd car until a couple years ago. My mate has a v8 M3 and we both agree that the ISF's ride quality for a daily drive is more suitable (I don't track my car but I do use it as a daily drive). Again, this topic is all subjective but I wife who didn't like being a passenger in the BMW finds the ISF ride not far off a Q5 that we had until recently. Buying a newer model with the DRL, sport button on the steering wheel (instead of being on the left side near the start button and a slightly more forgiving suspension would be nice BUT they cost a lot more.

This is a performance saloon (that doesn't break down) and not a limo! Be brave, go for it and have fun! :)

As most have said, my 08 is fine, firm but fine, I've not driven or been in a revised set up, but the feed back is good in my opinion and isn't a bad ride, no rattles or squeaks and no issues from this owner, any test drive is not as good as living with the car, good luck with your decision

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I have looked on their website at the ad:

http://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/lexus/used-cars/4810383-lexus-is-5.0-v8-is-f-4dr-auto/

I note that the front bumper, mirrors and side vents differ between the video and the photos. Ie they are not colour coded in the video but they are colour coded in the photos.

Someone from the dealership is going to call me on Monday to confirm these discrepancies and how the car appears. Furthermore I will be seeking clarification over the transferability of the warranty (no use having a warranty that requires visiting Belfast!)

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

I wouldnt worry about it. The one in the video has plastidip on it or something - easily removable and Lexus Belfast has a tendency to make their cars look horrid anyway - yellow RCF anyone?

Personally I'd have the Guernsey one, it'll be £230 a year to tax on the mainland, the £505 was a massive deterant for me, I have a channel island car myself, I hate paying road tax as it is, but the £230 a year was a deal maker for me

I contacted the dealer about the Guernsey one last month. The car has full stamped history and would need the wheels to be refurbed. Fairly clean low mileage car though but the hassle of getting down to view it and then bringing it back proved too much to me at the time.

I spoke to someone at the dealer via the online chat function (garage had closed so could't call).

The VBZ200 reg was the previous owner's personal reg with XJZ5117 (as per the video) being the car's newly assigned reg.

That makes it seem as though the car has now been plastidipped which is a little odd for the dealer to do! In any case, I will discuss this on Monday.

As for the car in Guernsey, I would also be interested in that. I had seen it being referred to in other threads but had a look on the Lexus Guernsey site and couldn't see it for sale.

Charlie, if you have any info on this car or a link to the ad, I would be grateful if you could send it my way please.

Otherwise, assuming it's at Freelance, I'll just email them for some info.

I would need this car to come with a 2 year warranty to be comparable to the Belfast car. Furthermore, I would need to clarify the import process/tax payable. Assuming this is VAT to be paid, I would certainly need the initial price to be £15K for the price + tax to be comparable to the Belfast car.

Finally, I have a couple of questions for Womble72 please as you have a CI car:

How come the tax is only £230 for CI cars?

And is your car listed as imported with your insurer?

Many thanks.

Hi Ollie, no the car is not classed as an import, it states on the log book "was registered and/or used elsewhere in the uk" there is no CO emissions level on the log book as this is not how CI are taxed, there taxed on their width, therefore the DVLA mainland can only apply a pre 2001 taxation class to them, so £230 a year it is,.....happy days 👍

This car has been for sale for ages, I enquired some time ago and the lexus salesman said that their two year warranty could be transferred for a one year warranty in the UK. In the photos it shows their showroom window advertising their sales event in June.... It's been hanging around!

Cheers for the photos Gib - much appreciated.

Paul, thanks for that info. Good to hear re it not being listed as imported on insurance documentation. And certainly good news about the VED!

Mark - well spotted on the June sales event sign! That'll be handy for negotiations. As for the warranty decreasing to a one year warranty in mainland UK, that is somewhat disappointing but I'll discuss this with the salesman on Monday.

I think it's time to try and find one closer to home to sit in! There are a couple 30+ miles away from far smaller "driveway dealers" which I don't really fancy going to look at as I don't want to waste their time as I have no intention on buying them...

Just watched the video for the Belfast one. I remember that being up on eBay a few months back, at that time it still had the plasti dipped sections. I'm guessing it failed to sell so they peeled off the plasti dip and put a fresh ad up.

Only just had a fresh search on the usual sites and there don't seem to be as many for sale as there were 2 months ago.

I can confirm That the Lexus Belfast car has been there for while before June. I was visiting the dealer to get some warranty work arranged at start of June. I had a look around it. There were cheap tyres on it which makes me wonder if previous owner saved money elsewhere too. There were a couple of deep scratches on the rear bumber on the edge near the boot. The exhaust tips look like they have been removed and very badly reinstalled. The mesh around the tips has been "daubbed" silver or greyish. looks bad. couple of alloy scuffs. I was back at the dealer there last week after finally getting the work completed and walk right past the ISF shame I hadn't known could have got better photos.

I also noticed there were some hidious carbon fibre stickers on the rear doors leading into the quarter dog leg where there is normally a chip protection sticker.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links