Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So my car was in the garage today and they spot a small hole in the v-joint of the exhaust back box on my car.

Lexus say it will cost £600 for a new back box.

It's a lot although truth be known I'm surprised it wasn't more.

Anyway, m thinking is it worth welding up a hole that is currently very small or would that be a waste of time.

Secondly has anyone replaced there 450h backbox with an after market alternative and was it as quiet and any cheaper.

I'm considering all options before making a decision. I most likely intend to keep the car another two years so want to keep it all in good order.

Carl

mine did the same last year i asked if it could be welded and lexus advised against it

however i took it to my local garage who welded it

but it lasted about 3 month and was blowing again

Maybe they didnt do it right

I was talking to a friend of mine who had , had a stainless steel fitted at one of those exhaust fabricators but he wasnt impressed the charged him 450

he told me to have a drive in it but was appalled at the noise it made

So i bit the bullet went to lexus Sheffield they charged me 500 and it is back to being quiet as a mouse

Incidentley the blowing Exhaust on mine made the Check light come on that as never reappeared

If you are keeping it for couple more years go OEM

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

mine did the same last year i asked if it could be welded and lexus advised against it

however i took it to my local garage who welded it

but it lasted about 3 month and was blowing again

Maybe they didnt do it right

I was talking to a friend of mine who had , had a stainless steel fitted at one of those exhaust fabricators but he wasnt impressed the charged him 450

he told me to have a drive in it but was appalled at the noise it made

So i bit the bullet went to lexus Sheffield they charged me 500 and it is back to being quiet as a mouse

Incidentley the blowing Exhaust on mine made the Check light come on that as never reappeared

If you are keeping it for couple more years go OEM

Just my Opinion

You say you paid £500. Was that including vat. I was quoted £600 and I'm not sure whether I had to add vat to that also. That's quite a difference in price.

Then they said an hour to fit it on top of that so probably another £100.

Can you confirm what you paid. If needs be I'll order the exhaust from a different Lexus dealer.

Plus I can get my 15% of via the gold membership.

Carl

I had mine welded up in Brighton for £45 last March. Works a treat. Mike.

That would be the Y pipe on the LS Mike, don't forget we have mostly stainless steel systems on ours, the later models including the LS430 and GS now have mild steel.

Another reason why we tend to hang onto what we have.

Amayama price is £253.26 but then add on shipping plus UK import taxes and you're not far off UK Lexus prices, problem is the car was only made for a year so there will never be an aftermarket alternative.

If you can find a good welding place it may be worth having it welded as the pipe is very similar to the Y pipe on the LS400 a known weak spot.

Just goes to show how cuts have been made in quality, my LS400 is now 22 years old and on the same exhaust system from new.

Part numer for the back boxes is 17430-31540, the gasket (17451-31010) comes up at around £35.00 but seems to be incorrectly priced, the rubber mountings should be reuseable.

As a matter of curiosity I rang Sheffield for a quote and they come back with £408+vat(£489.60)

If I use the club discount of -15% =£416.16.

I shall be putting this price to my local in Cheltenham. If they won't match I'll drive the car to Sheffield.

Me too, i had a friend cut & bend up a steel "nappy" & weld it on an impressive job certainly wont go in that spot again, did look at s/s but it is so risky with good & very bad reviews of all th places that do it, Plus they use deflector boxes not absorption boxes which makes the exhaust louder - fine if you like that sort of thing I guess..

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem. Was going to go the stainless steel route then decided against. Main deal quoted me the same. Approx £600. I ended up getting it discounted as the car was 10 years old. I think I paid £500. I can double check for you if you need me too.

Mal.