Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0093 Help Needed To Decipher Data

Badger1966

This is an interesting read. I just came across it on another forum...

"The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

The German manufacturer is Mercedes Benz, the concern over PDF filters is unfounded as stated above 2stroke burns cleaner therefore giving less particles to block the PDF. I have just bought a Hyundai Tuscon tdci and put about 15mls in the tank and on my 50 mile round trip to work and back the engine is already running smoother. For those of you who still doubt the benefits just have a look on landyzone, I think the item goes into about 60 pages and are almost all positive.
"

What do you all think? Quite an interesting idea. I love 2 stroke motorcycles and I would use fully synthetic Rock Oil or Silkolene. Having said that I love the smell of Castrol R, mmmmm. Although they seem to be using mineral 2 stroke oil. Further research I think.

hi 

i did a manual leak off test and it showed up fault, its just a bit of a pain in the ***** as i had to push pipe and use PTFE tape to make a seal. 

if that had not shown up the problem you can have them tested i paid £30 as i was unsure about number 3 when in was under pressure it  leaked . 

to be honest i am sure the other 2 old ones will do the same thing at some point but i am not keeping car so as long as they are ok for now that's all i need.

i  have seen the stuff about 2 stroke  oil , again i will never buy another diesel. 

and i don't think lexus were joking .lets have  it right they were the people who said we will keep going until we sort the problem ...

took the car  to work today and got the injectors programmed into the ecu. car worked fine no lights no problems, i just don't trust it  any more  

Hi badger 

Hope you have made some progress . I have been away for a long weekend . The Lexus us now averaging 42 mpg . Daily . Just thought I would give you an update . No lights have returned . 

Hi guys, sorry for delay. Things are a bit hectic at the moment as I am building a new garage roof. Just Havant had chance to do the leakdown test. I am going to try this weekend. I guess yours is still going well Mackemade?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mackemade said:

good luck,i have now sold the lexus and got a MX5 far more fun,,,,, and reliable 

Great little cars ...wifey has one!! What year is it? Wifeys is Sunlight Silver Mk2.5 NB. You can just about make it out hiding behind my car in the pic below.

Check that the sill drain holes are clear...underneath the car where the sill meets the underside at a a pinched joint. Otherwise you'll be carrying water around and promoting rust.

Also, locate the interior drain point just behind the seat each side. It allows for any water run off from the soft top to escape into a plastic sided catch area and then down a smallish drain hole. Stick a rod down (straightened coat hanger works ok) it and you should see it come out to the ground below. The drain can get blocked  by crud over time and then you'll have a wet carpet.

Where's your Battery .. bonnet or in the boot?

MX5 owners clubs are good forums for info and help. Found a brilliant method of reprogramming remote fob for free....unbelievable method sounding like smoke and mirrors... but it worked like a charm. Mazda wanted £200 to do it.......Bl***y thieves.

This place can be useful from time to time.

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/?gclid=CJ3G0u6MoswCFYcp0wodKpgMUg

hi normski, 

thanks for that it is a MK3 but i will check the drainage holes. the car is absolute blast, i love it. 

badger, i just lost faith in the car and while is was running well, i believe there will be another problem around the corner. i have been put off diesels for life, personally i think lexus knew the problems but don't want to admit it.

will probably find that it fails the emissions soon,,,   lol

• 2 weeks later...

Something tells me that injector No.2 is not quite right after a leak off test, lol. I ran the engine for approx 1 min 20 seconds. Another triumph for the common man versus Lexus main dealer. I can't wait until Tuesday to give them another piece of my mind. After being assured they had checked every possible thing, I am very interested to see what they say about this!

So glad you found the problem Gary, well done. :thumbs_up:

Yep, I would hope for a rather embarrassed dealer on Tuesday.

That is an impressive looking test setup, how does it work?

Lol, well thanks for saying impressive. But in reality it's just 4 empty water bottles with insulation tape holding them together. And 4, 6mm clear pieces of tubing. Each one going to the return hole out of each injector. I also wrapped the insulation tape around the end of each tube to increase diameter so that I could sort of screw them into the outlet holes in the injectors. I think 8mm tube would be best. Although a bit heath robinson, the test worked well :smile: Must say a big thanks to mackemade for his advice on doing the leakdown test. Also can anyone confirm if the video worked or not?

Thanks for the info.

Aren't the injectors under high pressure?  Never thought you would just 'screw them in' :smile: Don't suppose you have any other photos of the setup?

Bet your fuel consumption is going to improve somewhat :smile:

Yep, video worked fine.

Indeed high pressure, but only on the inlet side. Really quite low pressure on the return. Well when I say return, it's the diesel that leaks internally in the injector that returns to the tank. As you can see from my pics, No.2 is leaking somewhat more than it should :w00t:. Hence P0093 fuel leak large! I believe in general, they should not leak more than 40ml in one minute from start up. Injector 1, 3 and 4 are within that limit. I did take pics but my phone camera is playing up and didn't save the images, grrrrr. I will try and do some sort of walk through in the near future. I haven't got the money spare at the moment as I have sunk all I have into my new garage. So the new injector will have to wait a few weeks unless someone is feeling extremely generous. Actually my brother owes me money :yahoo:Well lets see what happens...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, Well it's been a while, but finally got a good second hand injector. Fitted it last week and so far all seems good! Starts first time every time, and not once has it gone into limp mode :-) I was toying with the idea of keeping it, but I bumped into an old neighbor and he really wants the car. Crazy man. I did explain all their problems but he still wants it. So MOT next week and as soon as he comes up with the money, its' gone! I will keep in touch if anything develops. Good luck guys!

• Like 1