Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Mpg On Short Journeys

Well I thought my fuel consumption would increase a good bit now the weather is colder.

But I am still seeing an average of 36.5mpg which I think is good, what does anyone else get in their 300h?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why did you think that your mpg would improve in the cold?

I expected mine to get worse which it has.

It seems to me that short journeys from cold and hills make getting over 40mpg tricky.

My new IS has only covered 400 miles and so far my best is 45mpg.

However, as I live on an island which is fairly hilly, I reckon that's not bad.

It seems to me that short journeys from cold and hills make getting over 40mpg tricky.

I think he meant fuel consumption would increase

Still on 32mpg here. My RX does the same atm

That was what I said, fuel consumption increase in the winter ( this means get less miles per gallon) I was getting 40 -50 mpg in November last year.

The bad weather, especially rain and therefore lots wet roads has definitely dragged my fuel economy down - I try to keep the car computer showing more than 50mpg but that's been elusive the last couple of tanks' full, but I'm still holding at 46.9mpg average as measured via fully.com. I'm delighted with that and am really looking forward to seeing what I can achieve when (if) we get some nice warm, dry, summer months.

MPG takes a big knock in cold weather. My NX is just about managing 25 - 28 on very short journeys currently, as the engine barely has time to warm up. My average normally is 34. That is below the national average mind, as many of my journeys are of short duration. Overall I reckon on 37-40 on long journeys, 33-35 on medium and 30-32 on short. In very cold weather the long and medium journeys are not affected too much, as the car has time to warm up, but the short ones are roughly 5 mpg lower.

It must be my driving then Robert, although I try to drive sensibly on the motorway, keeping to the speed limit ;-)

I'll try a reset next time I do a week of motorway driving and see if that helps. I tend do to a good mix of town, jam, motorway driving.

I look forward to the more economical summer months, but I won't book my hols just yet based on the potential savings  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Getting 46.5 avg now, about 5 mpg down on warm weather driving. Although this is on my average, which is mainly long commute, and a 30min spell in stop-start queuing traffic.

So it seems to be the normal mark going on other's responses.

David

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, alanc745 said:

Well I thought my fuel consumption would increase a good bit now the weather is colder.

But I am still seeing an average of 36.5mpg which I think is good, what does anyone else get in their 300h?

If you do particularly short journeys, your consumption will increase: the petrol engine is relied upon to warm things up, and the colder it is the longer it will be running. Also, I guess the extra reliance on electrics - lights, heated seats, demister, etc - will also keep the engine running longer. On the other hand, once the engine has warmed up, petrol consumption should eventually even out. The longer the journey the better.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, rayaans said:

32mpg... I wish. I'm lucky to reach 29mpg. Probably because I have a heavy foot, but maybe also because I have the pre facelift model. I guess your running on a higher PSI probably help reduce your MPG.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

If you do particularly short journeys, your consumption will increase: the petrol engine is relied upon to warm things up, and the colder it is the longer it will be running. Also, I guess the extra reliance on electrics - lights, heated seats, demister, etc - will also keep the engine running longer. On the other hand, once the engine has warmed up, petrol consumption should eventually even out. The longer the journey the better.

32mpg... I wish. I'm lucky to reach 29mpg. Probably because I have a heavy foot, but maybe also because I have the pre facelift model. I guess your running on a higher PSI probably help reduce your MPG.

18 hours ago, pbarrett said:

Managed only 50mpg at 70-75mph  :-(

Seriously!? 50mpg is awesome for the IS300h F-Sport at those speeds - its no diesel!!!

3 hours ago, DanD said:

37psi here all around. Ive found taking the air con off AUTO helps alot in terms of fuel economy, no idea why.

I think you're right. I am expecting and hoping for a bit much.  I am happy with 50mpg, but when the specs are higher, you expect them on your standard drive to work etc.  :wacko: I suppose we are not ever driving at a constant speed over dead flat terrain.

i wonder what the stipulations are for test tracks? 

We all know that these ecu's can be tinkered with, but are mpg tests carried out by independant testers and on verified test tracks I.e flat?

just hope Lexus are not found to be in breach too. :wink3:

My understanding is that the official figures are derived from strictly controlled test conditions that all manufacturers abide by (supposedly!). The results are designed so consumers can compare between different models/manufacturers but are not "real world" achievable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, pbarrett said:

Managed only 50mpg at 70-75mph  :-(

You won't really get better than that in an F Sport at those speeds.

I've had over 65 mpg on a 16 mile journey from work, 10 of those miles on a motorway with a 50 mph restriction but normally the same journey is around 50 mpg. Traffic and very small changes in your driving can make a big difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am getting around 42mpg on a 7 mile commute start/stop traffic. Did a long run of ~50 miles at the weekend, 30 on a motorway at 70mph with the remaining on A roads at 40-50 mph and got 48 mpg in "normal mode". I don't think that is bad at all; the weather is pretty cold at the moment. It's a fact that batteries and engines will not be as efficient in during cold weather.

Haven't had the F-sport long, so don't know what I will get in warmer weather but expect around 50mpg. 

So on the Sunday weekly shop the IS appears to do 45mpg which drops straight down to 33mpg when going back up the hill lol.

Been getting about 450 miles out of a tank so far.

Hmm, I do 17 - 18 miles (each way) daily commute on country roads every week day which is reasonably hilly, I can 50 - 55mpg if I'm careful and it's a fair bit colder than most places due to the higher than sea level average .  Due to the type of roads I tend to try and stay around 40 - 50mph and I hardly ever use Curse Control.  I find I can get much better mileage feathering the throttle myself though it means not keeping a constant speed.  If you are on a flat or down hill and you have a reasonable Battery charge just hold the needle between Charge and Eco in Eco mode, at anything below 45 - 50mph it will stay on EV mode as long as your needle doesn't go over the Eco mark.  If it goes over the Eco mark and your engine kicks in just quickly take your foot off completely and gently back on and it will almost instantly go back to EV mode.  Doing this I can get about 3 - 5 miles sometimes more (depending on the hillyness of the road) just on Battery.  

What I find that also helps is learning the roads, particularly the junctions, downhill parts and sharp corners. Experiment to find out what the earliest point is you can begin to brake to reach the point your aiming for at the speed you want to arrive at but ensuring that the needle doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the charge meter.  This will ensure the maximum amount of your momentum is converted into Battery charge instead of been converted to heat from your brake pads been engaged, it will also make your brakes last longer.  Of course if you can avoid braking altogether even better but at times it's unavoidable.  

It takes a bit of practice to keep the car in EV mode for long periods and find the sweet spots where the car is most efficient for the road you're on but as you keep trying different things you'll discover little things here and there that overtime add up to make your driving much more efficient.  But then sometimes like me you'll just want to bang it in sport mode and floor it on the straights, at that point your efficiently is ruined, but it's fun. 

• Like 1

I practically have to rag the car up the hills - its almost always in the power section when going up.

I think shopping journeys dont do too well as the car's being shut down so has to slightly warm up again. Its fine on longer journeys, I even managed 60mpg once lol.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links