Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2007 Is220D - Head Gasket; Common Problem?

grahamc

Hi Graham and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

I cant help with your present queries
but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Unfortunately the engines fitted to the IS220d appear to have serious defects given the amount of posts on here and the web which have in the past resulted in Lexus fitting new engines or completely rebuilding them.

The failed head gasket problem can result in damage to other components like the turbocharger.

Clogged up EGR valves are another along with failed DPFs

The problem was so bad Lexus extended the warranty on the engines to 107,000 miles or 7 years provided the car had a FLSH.

Replacing just the head gasket will probably not provide a lasting repair as it is thought the problem is caused by the cylinder head moving on the block and the heads cannot be skimmed.

Strangely enough Lexus no longer produce a diesel engined model having been stung by their only venture into diesels.

Personally given the short time you have had the car I would be thinking of rejecting the car and returning it under your statutory rights.

You should have joined the LOC before you bought the car whereupon we would have pushed you towards the IS250.

More depressing reading

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/70967-is220d-head-gasket-gone/

I couldn't have said it better than Steve has already done so.

The IS220d engine is notorious for problems with "head gasket" failure, but due to the specific nature of the problem, the damage is often more extensive than just the gasket - there are plenty of people on the forums who have needed new engines or new cylinder heads because the head or block itself was damaged.

Here's a search on this forum about this issue: I'm afraid, there is a lot of reading material.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=is220d%20head%20gasket%20warranty%20site%3Awww.lexusownersclub.co.uk

The IS220d engine is notorious for problems with "head gasket" failure, but due to the specific nature of the problem, the damage is often more extensive than just the gasket - there are plenty of people on the forums who have needed new engines or new cylinder heads because the head or block itself was damaged.

Here's a search on this forum about this issue: I'm afraid, there is a lot of reading material.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=is220d%20head%20gasket%20warranty%20site%3Awww.lexusownersclub.co.uk

I knew about it and cowardly didn't want to say anything.

I knew about it and cowardly didn't want to say anything.

There was no easy way to say it Mike so I just said it :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers! Can I ask a couple of questions about some of what you said? Like I mentioned, I love to drive but know nothing about engines :)

1. Twisted head - (didn't yet find out what the garage have / are doing yet in full but...) when my head gasket went if they just replaced the HG and skimmed it, would this be OK if the cylinder head didn't get damaged and it all went back together OK or is this going to mean it just goes again? So thinking about if they just replaced the HG what is the risk....

2, And if the head did get twisted could they just replace the HG and keep the same head, or would you have to replace the head to get it to fit? The garage seem honest enough, but they are doing it on their own dollar as it came with an engine warranty from them when I bought it (is 2007 so outside of extended lexus one), so just want to guard against getting the job half done! So thinking if they should have replaced the head and didn't, would they have to / how would I know?

3. DPF - how would I know if this is affected? Saw that I should get an engine warning light which I haven't?

4. What other damage could the HG going have caused that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks again for the help!

G

I am not an encyclopedia but have seen others say that the heads cant be skimmed.

Oh right, didn't understand that; what I read was in the early days people used to skim the heads but that left trouble down the line so ended up doing a full replace of the engine. Didn't know they couldn't be skimmed?

Oh right, didn't understand that; what I read was in the early days people used to skim the heads but that left trouble down the line so ended up doing a full replace of the engine. Where I bought it isn't a Lexus main dealer, so thinking if they normally skim and that looks to work will they just do that. Didn't know they couldn't be skimmed?

Apparently the info is correct and the head can't be skimmed. I'm also told it's the same engine Toyota put in the Avensis. I would try to get your money refunded and get a petrol version as suggested.

I'd advise rejecting the car, within your statutory rights, as its not fit for purpose.

Then look for a 250 auto.

Even when repaired, the head can go again. It happened to someone on this forum.

I don' say this without reason....i had a 220d in the past with the head going.

If they try to fix it they will have to get a new head and all the associated parts from Lexus. AFAIK the old head cannot be skimmed.

Have a good read here from earlier posts on this sad position. I would then do what Normski2 suggests and reject the car as not being fit for purpose. The law is on your side. Mike.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/70826-lexus-is220-head-gaskett-gone/page-2

Hi - thanks for the replies. When I read up on it the law says that the dealer must be given a fair chance to rectify the problem. Only if they cannot rectify it, then you have the right to a full refund. I think all I can do for now is see what they plan to repair, and when done, take it from there. Either not fixed and I push refund, and fixed and I decide to sell it on, or fixed and I decide to drive it until it stops, hopefully in 2-3 years at least in which case I'm OK money wise.

Not great at all, but lets see how the repair goes for now I guess!!!

Hi - thanks for the replies. When I read up on it the law says that the dealer must be given a fair chance to rectify the problem. Only if they cannot rectify it, then you have the right to a full refund. I think all I can do for now is see what they plan to repair, and when done, take it from there. Either not fixed and I push refund, and fixed and I decide to sell it on, or fixed and I decide to drive it until it stops, hopefully in 2-3 years at least in which case I'm OK money wise.

Always best to do these things with a cool head and you seem to be of that mind. Mike.

I'd certainly have a cordial upfront talk with the dealer to ascertain what their plans are.

Be open .... tell them what you have unearthed about this engine and its inherent design flaws.

It may well be, having investigated the costings, that they will be open to a refund to you. I suspect it may well be the cheaper long term option.

I hope that is what happens for your peace of mind.

One thing is for sure ... these engines need to be doing regular long journeys to stand a chance of staying relatively 'clean' ..... short journey run arounds they are certainly not.

Best of good fortune with it all.

Thanks for all the input and ideas, I have some updates:

1. Garage nearly finished the job; they replaced the head gasket & cylinder head as this was damaged and couldn't be skimmed. It wasn't very badly damaged, but felt better to replace. There was no other damage to the injectors / turbo / valves etc. So the top 2/3rd have been replaced which is good. They are going to do a Compression test on  it so I'll have a way to monitor / check on it as I go

2. I'm going to take the car and drive it for a few weeks and see how I go, is still under engine warranty then. Will take all of the tips onboard about minimizing the carbon in the engine (EGR clean, proper quality diesel and additives now and then, and also giving the italian run / motorway trips now and then to keep it from dusting up

It sounds like they did a good job, hopefully they did and I get some luck with it.