Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h 9 weeks standing outside best starting strategy

Hello everybody,

I have made my mind up to very shortly buy pre owned a 2008 Rx400h :-)

Having read this forum extensively I am well aware of the issues/solutions regarding the 12v Battery issue. I have a particular problem in that I will be forced to leave the vehicle in an Airport long term for for 9 weeks, and then later on for a further 6 weeks. I am thinking of taking the car straight to Lexus to have the power socket converted so that I can have a solar trickle charger fitted. I concluded that this is superior to disconnecting the 12v or fitting a Battery cut off switch (somebody said here, Lexus said dangerous to main hybrid batteries/explosion). Can anybody who has already done this confirm their experience. 

May I please ask members for their latest thinking/experience on this issue. Have I selected the best option here and I plan to get the Bosch Battery fitted as well.

Mad excited about my first Lexus experience to come! 

kind  regards 

william 

I call it an added "theft prevention technique" rather than a piddly Battery! [emoji12]

Why not skip all the dealer hassle and messing with the wiring - take a look at:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LI2R9O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_6t7OwbDB5CM53

Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend the above for a normal car, but for a hybrid Lex, it'll easily power the Hybrid electronics so the car can start from it's main Battery pack under the floor after a long period of standing...

Thoughts anyone?

The AA do a solar charger that plugs into the OBD socket.

http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/car-battery-solar-charger

This might help! I made my own from a small panel I had hanging arround and an OBD plug, but not had cause to use it. I left the car a week when on holiday and had no troubles starting it.

I had the problem of rubbish Lexus R400h Battery too.  Using solar panels worked but meant having to store when not in use or driving, so my solution was.  The power point was fixed to permanent live, I dismantled the panels, fitted them into the rear spoiler with a control panel fitter between the panels and the power point.  I can then rely on the daylight to do the work for me.  It isn't 100% but it is far better than it used to be. 

If all else fails I carry around a Battery booster/starter which starts the car in seconds, which is better than waiting 20 min.

Tony

Gliderpilot, the AA charger seems like a great idea :-) Makes me wonder why Lexus didn't just issue all 400h owners with solar chargers rather than pretend there wasn't a problem! I just need to keep the 12v in good nick when the car is standing for over two months at the airport.

Where is the OBD plug situated in rx400?  Will a solar/OBD work out of the box or does the connection require any kind of modification to work.  I can of course keep a booster handy but, not ever having a hybrid before, I was wondering if boosting a hybrid is somehow different or can somehow affect the main cells/electronics. 

Chosen one, I'm no where near as handy as you! So a simple plug and play solution would be best for me.

Does anybody know if the main hybrid cells do well if the car is not driven for extended periods? With no regenerative braking happening, what keeps the main cells in good shape? 

Thanks to everybody

william 

I have the OBD solar charger as stated and have left mine at the airport for a while always started. No mods required just plug in under dash drivers side and I keep mine in boot under floor , folds out of the way when not required.

I must say I've never had any problems with my Battery so maybe something that will never arise , but I think if you're going to leave any car for nine weeks you going to have a bit of trouble starting it when you come back not just the RX400h

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi William,

Bought mine in May last year despite having read extensively through forum posts and become almost paranoid about the Battery issue and leaks !   Immediately after purchase I fitted the recommended Bosch Battery and AA solar panel connected via OBD socket which I leave plugged in whenever the car is not in use.   (The socket is located on right side of drivers foot well facia panel below knee height, a torch is useful when first looking.)   Whilst mine has never been left for 6 - 9 weeks without use, a week or longer is pretty routine and I have never had a problem with starting.   However, being paranoid, I also carry a 900 Ah Battery booster/tyre compressor pack in the back of the car,(permanently plugged into the 12V socket,) which I know will enable me to re-energise the Battery if all else fails.   No issues with leaks either !   Complex cars and they do have their own problems but so worth the precautions to deal with them.   Enjoy.

The only reason I suggested the portable Battery pack is that it keeps a full charge for around 3 months (and can be charged whilst driving) also a solar panel may not charge in an underground car park or if we had heavy snow whilst the original poster of the Q went away for several weeks....

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links