Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flapping noise

Has anyone experienced a flapping noise coming from the rear of their Rx400h?

The noise appears to be coming from the rear drivers side and seemed to occur when there was high winds. When I first heard it it was quite loud but since it seems to occur at various speeds and at various levels. It is intermittent but appears to be when cruising and is not affected by braking/accelerating. It sounds like the flapping is against metal but that may be incorrect.

i have tried removing the spare wheel circular cover plate to no effect. I have also tugged at the wheel shrouds and they are firm with no splits. I have also looked at the rear bumper and that appears firm too. I can't see anything caught under the car and nothing appears loose.

I'm stumped so ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

It might sound obvious, but have you checked for any debris trapped in the tyre tread? I had most peculiar noises when driving home after having new tyres fitted, it turned out to be a stone jammed in the centre of the tyre tread.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked and there is nothing there. The sound is also intermittent and I have yet to identify a common set of circumstances. It's very baffling!

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, keywest said:

Has anyone experienced a flapping noise coming from the rear of their Rx400h?

Only when my mother-in-law is sitting in the back :-)

This disconcerting intermittent (quite loud) noise may be very simple to solve!!

Do you have a rear bumper protector fitted? If you do, check that it is stuck down properly, because if it lifting at one end, it will flap with the turbulance at higher speeds.

It happened to me when towing our caravan in windy conditions and I checked and modified everything I could think of on the car and caravan with no success. I knew the bumper protector was loose at one end, but just ignored it, but one day I decided to remove it and replaced the double sided tape. The next time we had the caravan on the back -- no more noise and none since.

Stupidly simple -- I just wouldn't have thought this strip of rubber could make that noise !!

Hope this suggestion helps.

Ken C.

• Like 2

loved the comment about the mother-in-law!

I have checked and the mud flaps are firm and the aerial isn't loose.

the bumper protector is also firmly fixed.

i have found the front near side wheel shroud has been loosened a little so I will be checking that out but the noise was from the rear so I'm not sure that is the cause. The search continues!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links