Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

fitting a USB port in lexus is250 2007 2008 2009

Your pic is too small to see but doesn't look like you have it. Here is mine - holes highlighted as red circles. The whole panel with hazard switch/clock etc comes out on mine to reveal the DVD slot. Also, I'm pretty sure I have a software eject button in the map info on the menu. This panel must be removed first of course :

DVD.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_2388_zpsd0bc3d8a.thumb.jpg.992c87939

This is what mine looks like. There is a small (2mm ) hole at each end of the smoked plastic facia .. where the hazard switch is located. You can see the one on the left directly under the the word Auto, directly in the centre of the facia. Once you've seen that you can work out where the one on the right is.

Behind the facia is either a DVD slot or a USB port.

If you have the ML with HDD then you should see the option to 'record' the disc to your HDD. You can get 200 or so CD's on the HDD.

• Like 1

Well, this is odd.

Assuming James that that photo is from your 2007, you have an auto recirculate button whereas I don't? Or is that IS250 only option?

Also, do all the HDD nav's have the flat buttons, or did some of the round button ones also have it?

Just now, Shahpor said:

Well, this is odd.

Assuming James that that photo is from your 2007, you have an auto recirculate button whereas I don't?

Also, do all the HDD nav's have the flat buttons, or did some of the round button ones also have it?

Yes that is my car in the photo. It's a 57 plate SE-L with multimedia. I assumed all had the auto recirculate feature?

1 minute ago, toffee_pie said:

Diesels have no auto recirculation.  The hard drives and USB are in face lifts. Don't know what's so hard to understand here.

Seems obvious to me.

It seems some facelift cars don't have the updated USB Nav fitted.

Also, what jack is wondering is whether a non-USB car can have an updated USB Nav fitted.

by face lift you mean 3rd gen 2010 onwards ?

Does anyone have a picture of how the HDD looks like. I am.interested in the back connectors.  Want to understand if I can swap out the dvd for HDD. 

47 minutes ago, jamesm182 said:

Must be as Eric just mentioned because you have a diesel.

it would be ironic if diesels did have auto recirculate as the purpose of that is to eliminate all smog from entering the cabin in the first place, from diesels mostly.

My car is a 2008, with Mark Levinson, i seriously doubt you can put HDD onto this, I'm not entirely sure what jack is trying to achieve here.  I think what he should ask is can you put a facelift Nav unit into a 2008 is250? one that has a HDD? I don't know and it would be costly.

didn't think of integration of sat nav to hdd. 

So can a face lift sat nav be fitted to 09 ? Too expensive but I might be able to get hands on one. but would like to know before hand what I am dealing with.

What about this one, can the USB port alone fit in 09 where aux input is ? USB  port for charging phone only and nothing else but make it look like stock fitting. 

toffee it started from trying to get a USB option in 09 in hopes there might be feature there but not enabled. Seems this is not possible. Repeatedly I have said it now, I have another brand of car that didn't support usb or aux in from factory. I studied schematics of the head unit and found both features were there. and I have them enabled now. Thought there might be a chance with lexus.

6 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

Hi guys just noticed that I got 2 small holes either side on sat nav aswell but did check, no tool to open it,maybe someone can take panel off @ show what is behind it,picture attached of sat nav

DSC_0105.JPG

No pic visible ... but never mind.

Behind the facia is either a DVD slot or a USB port.

If you have the ML with HDD then you should see the option to 'record' the disc to your HDD when you access a loaded CD. Plus you'll see a Gracenote logo.

12 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

But how you remove panel, does it require special tool????Jamesm182 did mention about a tool in tool kit,but couldn't find it

In my Lexus tool kit (the one with the screw driver and wheel wrench in the boot) there are two prongs that open it. I've used them/it before to update my disc.

Are those tools metal head or plastic.

normski

I cannot recall if you said you have the HDD and which year and model car do you have ?

See the attached picture please. So this cable goes to USB directly to HDD on the front ? 

Can the other white side connector be retrofitted to aux of a non USB sat nav ?

IMG-20160210-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20160210-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160210-WA0002.jpg

Ok thanks will look again, another question got wire with small jack one end which fits in armrest marked auxiliary other end in phone but selected aux on sat nav but nothing is happening as tried playing utube and nothing. Are there any setting or only playes prerecorded music from your phone.

Ahmed you did it right. it's simple as plugging in the cable and pressing aux. The sound quality will be poor in my opinion. 

Increase the volume to max on phone then increase on sat nav. the sound is "low". Like I said poor quality.

This link shows where the two prongs for getting at the sav nav disc are:

Link

Used mine when updating my disc, and it would have been a pain of a job without them.

As for the aux, jack is right, just plug and play.  Use an Ipod with mine and it sounds alright.

2 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

normski

I cannot recall if you said you have the HDD and which year and model car do you have ?

See the attached picture please. So this cable goes to USB directly to HDD on the front ? I don't think it wise to connect a cable to this USB port.

Can the other white side connector be retrofitted to aux of a non USB sat nav ?

If I'm understanding you right jack ...think you have misunderstood me.

The USB port is in my armrest. I use this to connect my Iphone or ipod.

The USB behind the plastic facia is only used to update the sat nav data ... via a USB stick. There is no DVD sat nav disc in my car.

My car is MY2010 and has HDD.

I doubt ( although I'd be happy to be proved wrong) that you can retrofit a USB port into an earlier car. I guess the only option is to try for yourself and see if you can get it to function. If you do then I suspect there will be a few requests to enlighten others as to how you did it ... so make notes and take pics as you go.

Best of luck.