Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just got my Mk 4 back from the Garage. 93 k on the clock, and I could hear a vague rumble.

Turned out to need new Idler bearing and New water Pump.

Also it needed a new cam belt, even though the last one only had 4k on it ,as mechanic would not guarantee it other wise.

£600.00 all in.

Still I dont mind spending money on my mistress!

• Like 1

Henry, 4k miles ago you had a new cambelt fitted. That's at 89,000 miles I presume. That made me wonder, because of the mileage why didn't you have a new water pump fitted at the same time? You could have saved yourself this latest expense of having to redo all that timing belt work. (By the way, the belt is meant to be changed every 62,000miles on European models, and every 100,000 miles on U.S. ones).  Just out of interest, was the car leaking or losing coolant?  Was it overheating at all?  If not, it could have been just the idler bearing alone that was rumbling.

.......  I really don't understand this cambelt change period nonsense of the UK models requiring change at 62k miles and the USA models at 100k miles  .......  when they are exactly the same engine and set-up.

Can anyone give a rational and sensible explanation why the UK cambelts might fail so early compared to the USA ones ?

when in  fact the first Ls400s had no change period specified and the belt is known to last probably 150k miles before rupture !  being made from Kevlar type material.

Thanks

Malc

Henry, I've recently had a cambelt + water pump + pulleys replacement, and a similar ouch moment financially.  Trying to be philosophical about it, I decided (1) what price peace of mind? (2) if the belt broke and wrecked the engine, would I ever forgive myself? (3) if I have to sell the car I can ask the going rate (whatever that is) for it. (4) Even if I keep it another ten years, that works out to only £60 a year. (5) Apart from worn-out suspension, there's nothing else major that will need doing to the car. (6) Considering that the car's worth what I paid for it six years ago, it really hasn't cost me much to run. (7) A cambelt is more important than any bodywork or detailing, however nice that might be to have done. (8) Read Honest John and see what owners of some much newer 'quality' cars have to pay for repairs to turbos, electronic handbrakes etc.  A guy with a 2010 Mercedes estate (diesel, 89,000 miles, full Merc service history) had a snapped timing belt and was quoted £11,000 for a new engine, of which he would have to pay half.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malc said:

.......  I really don't understand this cambelt change period nonsense of the UK models requiring change at 62k miles and the USA models at 100k miles  .......  when they are exactly the same engine and set-up.

Can anyone give a rational and sensible explanation why the UK cambelts might fail so early compared to the USA ones ?

when in  fact the first Ls400s had no change period specified and the belt is known to last probably 150k miles before rupture !  being made from Kevlar type material.

Thanks

Malc

In reality a much gentler driving style in the US - with constant, moderately low speeds much of the time.  Plus a more steady climate without sudden changes in temperature.  It all helps.

I think it's down to the difference between the motoring environments in Europe and that of the U.S.A.   Here in the U.K. we tend to have much more stop/start driving and shorter journey lengths than Americans do, which in theory would put more strain on the cambelt. In actuality though, you hardly ever hear of any breakages either here or in the States even when the belt is way, way over the recommended change interval. Shows you how good they are.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I called Japex Automotive, 2 days ago and they quoted me £900, including VAT to do the timing belt change, including a water pump, idler bearing, tensioner bearing, basically the full kit with genuine lexus part, it seems a bit too expensive and I asked the lady receptionst, if i could supply the parts, but they won't accept it and they said only the parts from lexus were about £600, so £300 label work, does it look like a reasonable price?

Hi that price is with original parts? Well you need high quality aftermarket not Lexus parts. It is a choice. I did my own replacing every pulley plus tools for under £300...your price is cheaper than Lexus?

i replaced my own water pump and timing belt on my 430 a few months ago ....cost me £200 for parts (trade price) and took about 2 hours (but I have that advantage as I am a mechanic and have been fitting timing belts for past 20 years)    I always replace water pump if driven by the timing belt (false economy otherwise)

• Like 1

Yep for the price + effort as you are there in the engine it must be sensible. I also replaced the tensioners and idler pulley. Everything apart from the fan pulley as tha was ok. At 70k miles the other pulleys had too much play...original units. I noted the Gates kit contained same pulley manufacturers mark as the original.

I had my cambelt, water pump, tensioners replaced by powerhouse for approx £550 about 2 months ago. I think they ordered a cambelt kit with all bits and I think they are all genuine parts. An Expensive job but a necessity to prevent a catastrophic engine replacement !! Maybe get the radiator changed this year if I decide to keep it as I have a habit of changing my cars every yr....to many choices and I have a 4x4 itch I need to scratch

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links