Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening all,

Thought I'd share this and see if anyone has any thoughts...

Large chip in the windscreen suffered after travelling on one of the few evenings when the roads had been gritted. Fortunately it was a couple of days after my MOT ( sailed through by the way) so no panic to get it fixed even though it was a pretty big chip low on near side of the screen.

I did wonder if it was a bit too large for a repair.......but before that option was investigated in a matter of a couple of days the crack started to appear and spread.

Called my insurance company......directed to A(glass) as expected and paid my excess.

I seem to be in a wiper de-ice windscreen groundhog situation.

I have now had two screens fitted, neither of which show any kind of tangible effect when the wiper de-ice button is on. Even in the absence of frost if I spray a fine mist of water on the door mirrors or rear screen I can see & feel the effect of the elements heating up. I've tried repeated cycles to attempt to get the area as warm as possible...... Nothing.

The replacement screen is not a Lexus branded, but I have seen the elements in the screen and the three foil/wire connections on both of the screens fitted. Both replacements up to now have been from the same glass batch.

The power and fuse (white 25amp) checked to the screen de-ice have been checked.....all ok.

Am I / A(glass) missing something?? ....... Can two screens both be faulty??

Do we know from the forum that this is an issue ?..... I've done some searches but cannot find anything specific.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

V66

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

I would do this... get a multi meter and set it to Ampere. Put it across fuse slot prongs and measure the amp. What I am trying to say is to figure out if indeed the element is turning on and consuming power. Just a thought... 

Thanks .... I see what you mean.

We put an interior light bulb in line between the male connector and female screen connector and got it to light up..... Which I guess means there is a circuit, but as you say not telling us what consumption.

Must be a reason it has a 25amp fuse etc.

I thought also this morning if may be one of those voltage detector pens would work on the glass to at least show current across all the elements??

Will have to borrow/buy some kit and start trying to eliminate.

A(glass) are suggesting using a Lexus screen now..... guess that will solve it if it's not electrical.

Out of interest I asked them what the cost of a Lexus screen was outside of insurance .... £780! ....WOW!..... £50 discount if ordered on the day.. LOL.

Thanks Mike..... I checked the handbook and position 8 is a white 25amp ..... I also swapped it over with another 25 ( steering lock I think it was) this afternoon, no change.

No dumb questions... as I'm already scratching my head.

55 plate is250SE manual - front windscreen with wiper de-ice filaments.

Activated by switch ...lower right hand side switches.....right of steering wheel - switch lights up orange when activated and if I remember correctly stays on for a set time. The switch light seems a bit of a red herring as the light comes on even when the fuse is removed????....... Does that seem correct????

Weather stopped play later this pm.....a bit wild out there!