Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disconnecting battery - does anything need resetting?

I just wanted to confirm before I disconnect my Battery what, if anything, needs resetting thereafter?

Just want to make sure after trying to fix one problem I don't run into more.

Many thanks.

Phil, I'm not sure if this applies to your LS430 or not, but on the LS400 mk4 you can only start the car after replacing/reconnecting the Battery by leaving the ignition key in the "on" position, (see handbook), for at least 6 minutes. (No codes are lost). If you don't do this it won't start. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark.  

That's interesting - thanks Titch - I seem to remember watching a tutorial on how to remove the trim near the Display Screen, and it instructed to do just that, - although the reason given was so that you can move the gear stick into N - basically so it's out of your way when removing the trim.  In the Owner's Manual it only states that the parking assist monitor *may* not operate correctly when you reconnect or replace the Battery, so you have to go through a "normalisation" procedure.

I am glad that there doesn't seem to be any radio codes, or other codes, needed, as I haven't got any.. !

Anthony, on the back of my owner's manual/handbook is a yellow sticker advising about the 6 minute wait in the event of a flat or replacement Battery. It's something to do with the immobiliser. I can testify to the fact that my car indeed won't start until this procedure is followed. My car is a 2000, last of the line model. This might have something to do with Lexus adding that advice sticker to the back of the handbook.

I had the same experience as Anthony after reconnecting the Battery following a charge.  I double-checked the tightness of the connections, crossed my fingers, put in the key, noticed with relief that the steering wheel moved, turned the key and the engine fired up as normal.  Everything worked and nothing (including the radio stations) needed to be reset.  Brian, yours is a later car, so perhaps it has a different immobiliser or something?

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hiya guys, I have recently bought a lexus i220d on a 09 plate, I have read loads of feedback, ( all useful)  on the fact that a common problem is white smoke with the smell of diesel, I have had the dpf filter cleaned, they say it may be the 5 th injector, before I do that, some say disconnect the bty, my question is if I do this would I lose the radio or would the engine management light come on, ad it's keyless would that effect it, if there is a code I need to put in, as the ecu will adjust and reprogram it's self, please help as I am not mechanical minded 

On 08/02/2016 at 11:17 AM, PJD said:

I just wanted to confirm before I disconnect my battery what, if anything, needs resetting thereafter?

Just want to make sure after trying to fix one problem I don't run into more.

Many thanks.

I just asked the same question, did you manage to get any reply, And is there a code for the radio 

I agree with Ray no need to wait for six minutes especially in this weather but it is obviously a  upgrade to the last of the mark 4s as my 98 has no such requirement .It is a requirement to re- enter a radio code if there was one originally.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links