Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Model choice to replace MkIV DHP

I have owned my Mk IV DHP for nearly 8 years now and it is approaching 182,000 miles. I enjoy this vehicle and is my daily driver and long distance cruiser when returning 

back to West Sussex from Newcastle while I am temporarily working near Sunderland for a motor manufacturer in one of their IT sections.

I have been looking at moving up to a newer model and am not sure whether to look at  430 or the 460. 

My other alternative would be to spend a few thousand bringing my DHP to scratch by replacing the ball joints and suspension parts and refurbishing the wheels and getting the body work tidied up. This I would like to do as cost effectively as possible, so any recommendations of a garage in the Newcastle area would be appreciated.

What are other members thoughts ?   Use 3k to renew existing vehicle, splash out up to 7k on a 430, or up to 15k on a 460.

What is likely to go wrong on the 460, I have looked at those available and one in particular seemed to have tyre wear problems with suspension parts replaced and wheel geometry setup performed. also a radiator was replaced. Does the 460 suffer with same problems as the 430 with air suspension and transmission cooling pipes to the radiator.

Any thought on this are appreciated.     

• Like 1

I guess it would depend how flush you are, and at what age you are for considering making the change.

I have no knowledge of the the other vehicles advantages / disadvantages, but knowing the beast you already own is an

advantage to perhaps lining up a new set of problems. Second hand Cars are usually sold because a problem looms on the Horizon.

This said, boredom does set in at times. I kept my last car for six years. This one is only in its second year and has cost me a lot to get it to a satisfactory state, but worth it IMO.  Being an Old Codger I don't need to keep up with modern man.

What was your last MOT failure and advisories out of interest?   

Nearside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Offside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Nearside Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Offside Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
Nearside Rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Nearside Rear Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Offside rear exhaust silencer damaged
Fuel filter corroded
Fuel lines at fuel filter corroded

Is it really that bad  ??? any one have any idea on costs to replace/repair  the above ??

A couple of months ago I started a thread about what it was like to own a 460. After owning a 400 for 15 years I changed to a 2007 LS460.

So far, the 460 has been as reliable as the 400 and, apart from the yearly service, has cost me nothing spares-wise. I've had it since 2013 and it has 60,000 miles on the clock. It is our only car and is used daily. 

It has lots of goodies (even more than the 400) and, in my opinion, is a better car to drive. An added bonus is that it has a timing CHAIN which doesn't need changing every 62,000 miles. Mind you, the chain won't last for ever. If it starts to make a noise, I'll get it looked at.

Like most second-hand purchases, you just have to take your time and find a good one. 

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

Nearside Rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Fuel filter corroded

Is it really that bad  ??? any one have any idea on costs to replace/repair  the above ??

Was this a fail MOT list  or what part was the fail, and what part Advisories?

I don't know what I'd replace my LS 400 with when I get bored. I've had it just over 6 years now and it's on 160k and still in pretty good nick, so should do another 3 years anyway. My wife has an RX300 and I really quite like it. Ok it's not as well put together as the LS, but it is still pretty good, and it's nice driving a bit higher up. If they came in a V8 I wouldn't hesitate to have one myself. I'm not keen on air suspension, so perhaps a GS430 may be an option in the future.

Pete

Listed problems were advisories only - MOT passed ok.

Not sure about air suspension myself, I used to have a Citroen BX - but that relied on fluid I believe not air, and I found that fine.

Not sure what constitutes an OLD Codger, being just over 60 and still feel in my teens I wouldn't mind something with new toys , radar cruise , cooled seats and self parking .

Sods law, just as I'm looking around at cars my old girl decides the front offside speakers should stop working.!!! must be jealousy or a warning.

Hope its just a loose lead - maybe Muse at almost full volume has loosened something 

Get a 430 and have coilovers fitted, between 1&1.2k parts and labour. The 430 really does have a fine cabin, it feels much bigger inside than a 400. It has more or less the same engine which is well tried and tested. 

I'm in Washington so you can come and have a good mooch around mine to familarise yourself with the 430.  I can put you onto the garage I use regulary near Penshaw Monument so nowts out of your way. I bought mine on 22/12/15 and its on a SORN as I'm busy sorting it between the wonderful wind and wet spells of weather we're having at the moment. 

Sounds like you've had eight years enjoyable ownership - why not make it ten? Itching to try something new I suppose.

Understandable, but frankly you've got the car through the MOT and unless it really is a beaten up old wreck then the list is not that expensive to deal with - if you even have to deal with some of it.

Labour cost will depend on what you really feel you want to achieve?  A really smart rejuvenated vehicle (including body work) or a Car that gets you from A to B successfully and with known confidence.

I've added my thoughts  to your list.

Both my springs have been on and off as advisories.  Have new YKB rear springs cost less than £100 but won't change them until MOT fail or they fail.

Also have "slight play" in both suspension arms and if doing the springs, a good time to do these.  I do have replacements which cost  £300 but may as well wait until a "fail" on MOT.    

If leak is by the Cats to Y pipe,  Wynns exhaust gasket sealant as recommended on here by Colin (?) should sort for about £15. probably last a year.  

Don't know the cost but suspect small?

see above comment

possibly  get a sound second hand one on eBay from a breaker for under a £100 ?

Fuel filter corroded
guess these should be done together but I can't imagine being too much of an expense.

39buss  Thanks for the offer - think a 460 SE-L is favourite at moment but still looking.  Might take you up on garage though. Had some work done by Swingbridge garage in Gateshead last time so may use them again.

Sorted my front speakers problem, it seems that the SAT NAV had switched off the audio to these speakers whilst it directed me over the weekend, but forgot to switch it back on.

Set a destination this morning and she spoke fine through the front speakers, so cancelled the route and the audio came back. Tip there for any other Mk IV owners who might get the same problem. Saves stripping down the door card etc !! 

I've done something similar - thought something had failed whereas in fact I didn't know how to work it or adjust the settings.  I still don't really understand the heating/climate controls.

You should have had an extra booklet with the owners manual for the extra functions for Sat Nav and Audio, well that is if the previous owner passed it on. I had all the docco from when my car was delivered including an introductory audio CD. 

With the radio on press the left audio round button and a display should come up with 3 upright bars  Bass Middle and Treble I think they are called,

Press the round button moves to the next bar and turning the button increases or decreases the effect and is shown by a red line on the bat which moves as you turn the button.

Next is a cross of two bars  for right to left balance and forward to read balance which works in the same way,

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links