Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radiator replacement.

I have read about the disasterous possibility of coolant mixing in with the gearbox, and that the best prevention method is to simply replace the radiator.

Is it best to go for an OEM radiator?  THere are some brand new ones on eBay for £60, but I am presuming that they are aftermarket and not OEM?

Can anyone recommend a good source?

Thanks.

a member on here "the acre"replaced his radiator and i believe he bought an aftermarket part - try looking up his posts

Ref your second question should could look at the colour of your coolant to see if it has changed

hope this helps

• Like 1

It's worth remembering that gearbox contamination is not a certainty, and its not the most common problem.  I would simply do it as a precaution and peace of mind, which is what I did.  I paid £85 (or there abouts) from an eBay company but I can't remember which one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skyway said:

Hi guys I had saved this link as its on my list of things to do. I hope it helps .. and I would love to know how you get on.

Before I fitted the cooler I didn't do enough research. What I know now would have been so much easier, and that is simply fitting a new radiator.  It's such an easy job, and costs only slightly more than a cooler.  It also means you get a new radiator reducing the risk of that failing in the near future, and it means you keep the original set up.  it can all be done from the top.  Apart from the hoses there are only two nuts on top and the radiator lifts out, then you can remove the fans easily.  You only loose a very small amount of ATF but Toyota would only sell me 5lts, so I found a couple of sellers on eBay selling 1ltr bottles of Type 1V compatible. 5ltrs of Toyota coolant was £25 so it made sense to replace it rather than reusing the old stuff....and then I stupidly sold the car!

• Like 1

Many thanks all :)

Is it important to get an OEM part?  Or maybe a higher grade aftermarket job?

Do you folk buy your parts yourself and give them to a garage to ensure decent parts are used?

If you can recommend any good sources for OEM parts, - or, for that matter, any good sources for salvaged parts, it would be greatly appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

Today discussed this issue of the radiator failing and contaminating the ATF with Guildford Lexus who are the second biggest dealer in the country. They report this has happened with them four times and on two occasions resulted in the need for a new gearbox.

Interestingly he said there can be prior warning by way of shift problems and in two of the cases mentioned this had been ignored.

• Like 1

This was on my to do list with Japex at the end of the year when service was due...depending on cost and based on what Lexus are saying it does make the decision a tough one !

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, piasek said:

Does anyone know at what age/mileage it's worth to get radiator changed? My car is 54reg with 94k on the clock.

The car is now 10 years old so for the cost involved I would go ahead and replace it now.

• Like 1

My LS430 is 14 years old this year with 76k on the clock. Had already taken the decision to replace at annual service in July . Think I am going to buy an original from Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links