Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New boots for Sportcross

LeighT

I'd like to see what tyres people would recommend for my sport cross. MOT is due next week and I know should be replacing all 4 corners. I do a lot of motorway miles daily in all weathers and i'm not afraid to carry heavy loads. I'm generally drawn towards Avons as a brand, I run them on my bike.

I put four Dunlop Sport Maxx RT on my IS300 in May 2014 and they've done just over 21,000 miles since then. They have gone down from 7.0mm when new to about 3.5mm now. I should say I haven't run them over those two included winters (switching to Avon Ice Tourings then) and I swapped front for rears at the last change. That has helped even the wear. I bought them really because they were a good price with low db rating (they can be misleading, I know) and are reasonably on fuel. Like you, I do mostly motorways, or fast A-roads so our use is probably similar. Never had any trouble wanting for cornering on fast A-roads when being - ahem - enthusiastic, but a lack of traction in cooler, damper conditions is evident as soon as I switch to the Ice Tourings. For my size (215/45R17s, I think your rears are larger?) I think you can only get them in XL. They don't have much left in them now, so when the time comes to go back to summer tyres, I'll run them for a month then get a new set.