Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adding a Dash cam to OEM monitor

Hi all,

Just purchased a RX400H SE-L and want to put a dash cam in the front of the vehicle. The dash cam i have has no monitor but has a yellow AV output so i am was wondering if there is a way of connecting it to the monitor in the dash so i can view playback on it?

I already have a reversing cam so was wondering if i could split the feed and add a switch so i could swap between the two?

Thanks

Whilst it may be possible it would almost certainly be illegal to have a live view of the dash cam on your navigation screen whilst you are driving. I have a dash cam with an in built screen and it automatically goes to a compass and speed display after a minute or two to comply with the law.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, I am thinking of fitting a dash cam and wonder if it is possible to link the present rear view cam to a front looking one.?

Im looking for a small, discreet unit which won't hinder my view.

thanks

On 1 March 2016 at 9:49 AM, Seafarer said:

Morning all, I am thinking of fitting a dash cam and wonder if it is possible to link the present rear view cam to a front looking one.?

Im looking for a small, discreet unit which won't hinder my view.

thanks

Hi not sure if thats possible, I purchased this cam for the front http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-140-Mini-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Recorder-Dash-Cam-Video-Camera-G-sensor-MA358-/311541072850

I am still in the process of wiring it in. I have routed the wires round to the fuse box behind the glovebox. I just need to find two circuits i can attach add a fuses to. One circuit needs to be a ACC circuit and the other a permeant 12v live. If anyone knows what circuits are what in the glovebox fuses that would be great.

In my opinion if you pay so little for a dash cam it probably wont have the customer backup in case of a fault. I have a Nextbase 420 G with g sensors and GPS, it was a which best buy. It did go faulty within 8 months but sent it back to Nextbase on Saturday and got it back on the Tuesday fixed at no cost to me! OK it cost 10 times the eBay one but you pay for what you get! It's mounted on the screen on the passenger side on the rear view mirror and powered from a 12 V socket on the floor tray. It has a built in screen for playback so no need to patch it to a monitor, also comes with some neat software which links to Google maps.

• Like 1

Thanks for that - I was in Halfords looking at the Nextbase products and I like the 402 G and 512 duo. I'm not sure if the "G" allows unit to monitor motion/contact whilst parked? If so I think it needs to be "hard wired" to work when ignition off. They will do for £30.

more research needed !!

Although not the purpose of a dash cam I do not see how it could be illegal to use through the display while on the move.

The Mercedes has a forward facing camera with infrared night vision and that is not illegal.

Also I tow a caravan with rear facing camera, and this view was shown on the MFD of my Prius giving a much better view than it would be possible to get with door mirrors. I intend changing the system over to my GS to give the same results.

You can use the reverse camera input for this, but be aware unless wired correctly the reversing lights may come on while the camera is being displayed. In the Prius the best place to tap into the wiring was under the passengers seat where the navigation DVD play is. I do not know the position of this in the RX or GS untill my car is delivered. When I have the car , and have time to fit the camera wiring I will update hear with the details.