Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Differences between MK3 and MK4 (US-market!):

- Introduction of the completely redesigned Second Generation LS400 Series III.

- Basically the second gen LS is bigger, slightly more powerful, and a new design all around. Since it was completely redesigned pretty much everything looks different on both the interior and exterior. Take a look at the pictures above to note these changes. I will list some less visible differences below....

- The 1UZ-FE engine was improved in several areas. Headers were changed from the single type to semi-dual type for better exhaust flow.

- Bigger and better brakes. The front brakes were changed from a single-sided 2-piston type to an opposed-cylinder 4-piston type.

- A few suspension improvements.

- LS400 emblem added to the trunk.

- Body is more rigid and made of anti-corrosion steel.

- More sound deadening to further reduce engine and road noise.

- The power tilt and power telescopic steering column became standard.

- 4-headlight system.

- Light auto turn-off system now standard.

- Automatic light control system became standard.

- Headlight cleaner became standard on Canadian models.

- Vehicle-speed sensing control was added to the intermittent wiper with an adjustable time function.

- 3-jet type windshield washer nozzles.

- A one-touch slide-open function was added to the moonroof (optional) and the tilt-up reminder function was discontinued.

- A windshield heater became standard for Canadian models.

- Dual airbags became standard.

- Space for a portable first-aid kit designed into the driver's side front seat.

- Rear armrest now equipped with a push-open type cup holder.

- A 3-point seat belt for the rear center seat was added for the first time on a Lexus.

- A front passenger side temperature control switch was added to offer dual front climate zones for better control.

- The electronic odometer was moved to the bottom center of the instrument cluster and the warning lights were lined up in a straight line on the bottom of the cluster. The temperature gauge is now separate and not in the instrument cluster.

- The optional CD changer was now mounted into the upper glove box.

- A trunk lid opener button and panic button were added to the wireless door lock system remote.

- And more...

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 7.7 seconds; 0-400m = 15.2 seconds.

- Basically there were no changes. 1996 LS400's are virtually the same as 1995 LS400's.

- A diagnosis function was added for the evaporative emission control system.

- Slight change in the cruise control system.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = ? seconds; 0-400m = 15.2 seconds.

- Lexus and Coach, the renowned manufacturer of distinguished leather products, announce the production of a distinctive limited edition LS400 sedan.

- A power outlet was added in the lower center console box to enable accessories like a cell phone.

- The engine control system was partially changed.

- An engine immobilizer was added to improve the vehicle's theft prevention performance.

- ABS and TRAC actuators were changed.

- Reinforcements were added around the cabin to improve body rigidity.

- Air conditioning system slightly refined.

- SRS front side airbags were added into the front seatbacks.

- The LS400 Series IV debuts with many improvements.

- Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.

- Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.

- Slightly refined rear lights.

- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.

- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.

- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.

- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.

- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.

- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.

- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.

- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.

- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.

- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.

- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.

- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.

- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.

- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.

- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.

- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.

- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.

- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.

- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.

- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.

- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.

- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.

- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.

- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.

- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.

- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.

- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 6.3 seconds; 0-400m = 14.9 seconds.

- The wood shift knob became standard equipment.

- A few engine refinements.

- Steering column was slightly refined.

- The daytime running light system became standard equipment. This is basically the same system the Canadian models had been using for years.

- A blank mode was added for the instrument cluster where no cruise information appears.

- A change was made to the reverse shift function linked to the outer rear view mirrors.

- Three tether anchor brackets for mounting the CRS (child restraint system) are provided.

- ORVR (on-board refueling vapor recovery) system was added to the engine.

- A brake assist system was added to ensure for enough braking force in emergencies.

- The seat memory system was slightly changed.

I had a Mk2 before my Mk4, and have been in Mk1 and Mk3.

To me the only thing a Mk3 has over the Mk4 is the headlights(glass not acrylic cover)  and foglights (much better on Mk1,2,3)

But I went for Mk4 for VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) which I wanted due to the nature of some of the roads I use every day (leafy roads and lots of cattle grills - which caused havoc with the Mk2).

The HID lights are better, but in my view not much in it (until I get around to sorting out the clouded acrylic- when maybe they will be much better).

The Mk4 is a tad quieter, and a little better on Motorway fuel consumption compared to Mk2).

The issue of the Mk3 (and earlier ones) stalling after long runs ( I had this on my Mk2 - and it was bl**dy dangerous at times) is due to the main ECU having capacitors degrade.  It is fixable.  Why the Mk4 does not appear to suffer so much is probably down to the fact that (as I heard from a electronics mate of mine) is that through the 90's there was a batch of capacitors made (not just for cars, but printing presses, and other controls systems) that were never going to last more than 20 years before they degraded to way out of spec.

I do not have a DHP on mine, and the ride is different to my Mk2, but that may be just down to age.

I believe dipping wing mirrors on reverse came in with Mk4 along with a number of not so important tweaks like rear view mirror drop down sun shade.

If you can get a good Mk3, I would say it is no bad thing, and not worth worrying about a Mk4, they are both darn good cars

1 hour ago, plexus914 said:

Differences between MK3 and MK4 (US-market!):

- Introduction of the completely redesigned Second Generation LS400 Series III.

- Basically the second gen LS is bigger, slightly more powerful, and a new design all around. Since it was completely redesigned pretty much everything looks different on both the interior and exterior. Take a look at the pictures above to note these changes. I will list some less visible differences below....

- The 1UZ-FE engine was improved in several areas. Headers were changed from the single type to semi-dual type for better exhaust flow.

- Bigger and better brakes. The front brakes were changed from a single-sided 2-piston type to an opposed-cylinder 4-piston type.

- A few suspension improvements.

- LS400 emblem added to the trunk.

- Body is more rigid and made of anti-corrosion steel.

- More sound deadening to further reduce engine and road noise.

- The power tilt and power telescopic steering column became standard.

- 4-headlight system.

- Light auto turn-off system now standard.

- Automatic light control system became standard.

- Headlight cleaner became standard on Canadian models.

- Vehicle-speed sensing control was added to the intermittent wiper with an adjustable time function.

- 3-jet type windshield washer nozzles.

- A one-touch slide-open function was added to the moonroof (optional) and the tilt-up reminder function was discontinued.

- A windshield heater became standard for Canadian models.

- Dual airbags became standard.

- Space for a portable first-aid kit designed into the driver's side front seat.

- Rear armrest now equipped with a push-open type cup holder.

- A 3-point seat belt for the rear center seat was added for the first time on a Lexus.

- A front passenger side temperature control switch was added to offer dual front climate zones for better control.

- The electronic odometer was moved to the bottom center of the instrument cluster and the warning lights were lined up in a straight line on the bottom of the cluster. The temperature gauge is now separate and not in the instrument cluster.

- The optional CD changer was now mounted into the upper glove box.

- A trunk lid opener button and panic button were added to the wireless door lock system remote.

- And more...

- Basically there were no changes. 1996 LS400's are virtually the same as 1995 LS400's.

- A diagnosis function was added for the evaporative emission control system.

- Slight change in the cruise control system.

- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = ? seconds; 0-400m = 15.2 seconds.

- Lexus and Coach, the renowned manufacturer of distinguished leather products, announce the production of a distinctive limited edition LS400 sedan.

- A power outlet was added in the lower center console box to enable accessories like a cell phone.

- The engine control system was partially changed.

- An engine immobilizer was added to improve the vehicle's theft prevention performance.

- ABS and TRAC actuators were changed.

- Reinforcements were added around the cabin to improve body rigidity.

- Air conditioning system slightly refined.

- SRS front side airbags were added into the front seatbacks.

- The LS400 Series IV debuts with many improvements.

- Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.

- Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.

- Slightly refined rear lights.

- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.

- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.

- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.

- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.

- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.

- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.

- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.

- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.

- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.

- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.

- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.

- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.

- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.

- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.

- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.

- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.

- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.

- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.

- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.

- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.

- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.

- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.

- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.

- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.

- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.

- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.

- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.

- The wood shift knob became standard equipment.

- A few engine refinements.

- Steering column was slightly refined.

- The daytime running light system became standard equipment. This is basically the same system the Canadian models had been using for years.

- A blank mode was added for the instrument cluster where no cruise information appears.

- A change was made to the reverse shift function linked to the outer rear view mirrors.

- Three tether anchor brackets for mounting the CRS (child restraint system) are provided.

- ORVR (on-board refueling vapor recovery) system was added to the engine.

- A brake assist system was added to ensure for enough braking force in emergencies.

- The seat memory system was slightly changed.

Are you sure Q you have covered everything? well done you, that's what makes the LOC such a great forum. Great cars great forum.

9 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Can't see much point choosing a Mk.III over a Mk.IV, especially as it'll be older.

Ditto.

Never driven any but my MKIV, but I've driven cars with same 0-60 times as the MKIII, and the difference would, I'm sure, be very noticeable.

Admittedly, most of the time, it would make no difference, but I do like to floor it now and then, just for fun.

I am planning to grow up some time soon though!!

• Like 2

The power difference isn't an issue.  I had an xjr and didn't like it because of the power. I'm more interested in tge differences between the ride and stereo. Both of which my Mk4 is brilliant 

That Bose system would make a heck of a difference to my ride everyday.

I assume with advances in magnets and motors a modern version would be lighter than one developed back 10 years ago.

But this would give the government an excuse to never bother re-paving the roads:wallbash:

I still think the Mk.III is the best looking model.  I also like the gunmetal colour (with grey/black leather) that was discontinued when the Mk.IV came in.  I could have bought a late Mk.III but ended up with an early Mk.IV of similar age.

I must say that before buying my mk iii some three years ago, I drove mk iv's and don't feel short changed having made my choice.

19 years old, 195000 miles and no rust!!  As Rolls Royce used to say, the power is 'adequate' and never a stalling problem with or

without aircon on.  So sad that I have to sell her before I go to work on the island of Tristan Da Cunha for a year or two but you can guess what I

shall be spending my 'hard earned' on as soon as I get back......

I would buy on condition.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Mark.

Mark, I've never driven a 430 so I can't compare my Mk4 to one but I'd settle for Bose suspension any time. I've seen that clip before and every time I see it I'm impressed by it. But, as usual, like lots of great ideas, it turned out to be prohibitively expensive to fit commercially to production cars. Real shame.

11 hours ago, Titch LS said:

I've seen 6.7 seconds quoted for the Mk4 before now.  It's less than 7 anyway, and that's quick for an old 'waftmobile'.

In 1998, that was quick for nearly any class of car, and certainly better than the hot hatches of the day, which, if memory serves correctly, were around the 8 second mark to 60.